U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM

16,293 posts, read 7,667,149 times

Advertisements

It would be a good exercise to line up the quotes about thye reasons Jesus came, "life more abundant, etc."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM

63,130 posts, read 34,377,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It would be a good exercise to line up the quotes about thye reasons Jesus came, "life more abundant, etc."
There are many reasons. Here are my Top-3

To pay the price for sin: "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

To make salvation available to sinners: "On hearing this, Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'"

To tell us about God: “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM

16,293 posts, read 7,667,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of what is given in various places in the NT eg. "I am come that you might have life and have it more abundantly."

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

16,373 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
So what.

That doesn't address what I said. I never said he didn't come to die for our sins.

My beef was with he only came to die for our sins, which was what you presented in how you worded the other comment.

He did not come to ONLY save our butts.
In fact that is not even the most important reason he came.
I didn't say only, nor did I imply it. I said it was the primary reason He came. Without salvation, we have no fellowship with God.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM

16,373 posts, read 8,910,346 times
Quote:

To pay the price for sin: "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

To make salvation available to sinners: "On hearing this, Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'"

To tell us about God: “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
Beautiful words, Finn!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of what is given in various places in the NT eg. "I am come that you might have life and have it more abundantly."
OK, so that's your #1?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM

304 posts, read 247,545 times
Quote:

To enable you to be home with God, so HE can use you as the tool you are made to be. You are a tool, if you are His. An instrument of His righteousness. That means you have work to do.

He came to empower you, enable you to bear his fruit. Parable of the vine. You have a job to do, HE enables and empowers it.

You have a life to live too, if it was only about salvation, he'd knocked you cold stone dead as soon as you were saved and taken you home.

The King rules, the people. The people serve at the mercy of the king. The king doesn't save the people for no reason.

EXAMPLE:

King Arthur knights Sir Whatzisname.

He provides a horse, the armor, the weapons, and a stipend for him to live/function under.

If Whazisname just rides off spends the money on living, but doesn't fight where he was saved to fight at, is Arthur going to continue to provide the stipend?
What we know is, you are a branch on the vine, that doesn't live without the vine, and doesn't produce fruit without the vine, and gets removed from the vine if it is dead weight.

We know if you are given talents, and waste them, OR EVEN SIT ON THEM, you are scorned.

We know even if you KNOW the King, if, in His absence you didn't demonstrate that you loved, you are not rewarded. Matt 25 last parable.

NONE OF THIS was being done correctly before He came. HE is the reason you can do it now.

What HIS PLAN is for the other people your life touches, will be or not be executed by you. It will require works. You will or will not do them. The works you do will not save you, but the works you DO NOT DO may send you to hell.

To do those works, makes the world better, more loving, and a step closer to the Eden we started with. When the Messiah returns, you will not sit around sipping on juice and eating mana, you'll be working under the direction of the King.

To do the work, you first gotta meet him.

May I introduce you to one, Jesus, the Christ, once the Word which was made manifest and lived on earth to help teach us how to live, and how living helps others live.

This santa clause at a drive in window that gives you cloud floors and a castle in heaven for a magic bath and magic prayer is not someone I can find anywhere in the bibles I own.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
To enable you to be home with God, so HE can use you as the tool you are made to be. You are a tool, if you are His. An instrument of His righteousness. That means you have work to do.
Like I told you before we are saved for works. The Spirit inspires people to do works, but if you are inspired by fear of losing your salvation, then you are being a legalist. Works are not a requirement for salvation. Think about the guy on the cross next to Jesus. Did he work? Was he baptized? No, and no, but he was saved nonetheless.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:21 PM

32,252 posts, read 21,127,372 times
Quote:
To restore what man(and the ladies)lost. His knowledge and awareness of God,the awareness of who he is in the eyes of God and the way of life God desires him to walk in( abundant life). The sin conscious can never comprehend this. Everything they think about Jesus as something to do with sin.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM

304 posts, read 247,545 times
Quote:
Like I told you before we are saved for works.
Are you saying that to agree with me? Or do you think it's correcting me somehow.

Quote:
The Spirit inspires people to do works, but if you are inspired by fear of losing your salvation, then you are being a legalist. Works are not a requirement for salvation. Think about the guy on the cross next to Jesus. Did he work? Was he baptized? No, and no, but he was saved nonetheless.
I've yet to see ANYONE, say ANYTHING that warrants this last thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity