Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He was saved because he believed. It is as simple as that. That was rule #1 Jesus gave us.
What is rule number two?
Is it not the same, as #1?

"Loving him, and each other?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There are several dozen additional (very direct) rules in the Sermon on the Mount. I guess those rules are not as exciting as saving ourselves and living forever.
Where does the RCC rank salvation in importance? Is that different from your common sense?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM

304 posts, read 301,849 times
Quote:
He was saved because he believed. It is as simple as that. That was rule #1 Jesus gave us.
This may very well be the first thing we agree on.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,388,982 times
Quote:
There are many reasons. Here are my Top-3

To pay the price for sin: "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

To make salvation available to sinners: "On hearing this, Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'"

To tell us about God: “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Great list, Finn. Here's one more:

John 18:37 (ESV): Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."

There's that pesky truth word again.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Where does the RCC rank salvation in importance? Is that different frim your common sense?
JJ,

what denomination are you?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Great list, Finn. Here's one more:

John 18:37 (ESV): Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."

There's that pesky truth word again.
And every Christian under the sun, most who are not in 100% agreement with what they believe truth is,all claim to have it. He that has the son has life, but how can he if he does not have and believe the 100% truth like I do?.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And every Christian under the sun, most who are not in 100% agreement with what they believe truth is,all claim to have it. He that has the son has life, but how can he if he does not have and believe the 100% truth like I do?.
AAAAANNNNNDDDDDDD

I know, by gawd that I have the Spirit telling me what is the truth. So, if you don't believe me, you don't have the Spirit, so you aren't saved/christian/whatever.

Let's go make ANOTHER denomination....

Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this the central piece of Christianity? I believe this is the essence of Christianity. Much more so than seeking salvation to live forever.

Why do some Christians ignore this centerpiece of Christianity.
It is the single greatest sermon given in human history. In terms of what it means to be a follower of Christ and how we should live our lives, there is no better passage of scripture in existence.

However, the central message of the Bible is that the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of God loved us so much that he came to earth, temporarily trading his status as immortal God and becoming an ordinary mortal human being. He taught us how to live our lives such that we would be happiest in this life and the next. He suffered, bled and died to pay the price for our sins. He rose from the dead, defeating death for us all. The central message is Christ.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The central message is Christ.
And his love for all humanity.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Where does the RCC rank salvation in importance? Is that different from your common sense?
Catholic Church:

One who dies in the state of friendship with God (the state of grace) will go to heaven.

Matthew 24:13
New International Version (NIV)
13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Protestants:

Just accept Jesus once, be born again and you are done.

Obviously salvation is equally important, but for Catholics it is a given and the constant pounding of the salvation topic every Sunday is not needed. The Sunday homily is mostly about how to be a good Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity