Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The central message is Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And his love for all humanity.
Expressed on the cross, and made complete in the empty tomb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658
God is for us.

God does not need us.

God's function is to make us better humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
rofl. So God's function is to serve you.

Maybe He gives good massages too.
We are God's children are we not? I have two kids myself. A 2 year old and a 9 month old. I do virtually everything for them. I pay for their food, change their diapers, clean up their messes, comfort them when they are upset or hurt, bathe them, feed them, etc. I do everything I can to teach them to be good, to learn as much as they possibly can and just enjoy life every day.

What are they doing for me? They aren't paying me to be their dad. They don't clean our house or do the dishes or fix my car or anything else. They are quite literally incapable of really doing anything tangible for me. Yet at the end of the day, saying "it's worth it" doesn't even begin to cover it. Being their mommy and daddy is the best thing that ever happened to my wife and I. Words don't do it justice.

And that is just a small taste of how God sees us. No, he doesn't actually need us. We need him.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 PM

304 posts, read 302,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholic Church:

One who dies in the state of friendship with God (the state of grace) will go to heaven.

Matthew 24:13
New International Version (NIV)
13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Protestants:

Just accept Jesus once, be born again and you are done.

Obviously salvation is equally important, but for Catholics it is a given and the constant pounding of the salvation topic every Sunday is not needed. The Sunday homily is mostly about how to be a good Christian.
For protestants it should be too. EIther you hve Grace, or you do not.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Expressed on the cross, and made complete in the empty tomb!
"There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love; for what power has love, but forgiveness."

Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Catholic Church:

One who dies in the state of friendship with God (the state of grace) will go to heaven.

Matthew 24:13
New International Version (NIV)
13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Protestants:

Just accept Jesus once, be born again and you are done.

Obviously salvation is equally important, but for Catholics it is a given and the constant pounding of the salvation topic every Sunday is not needed. The Sunday homily is mostly about how to be a good Christian.
Done? Uh, no.

We preach salvation to the lost, not to the saved. Any given Sunday, there is likely to be someone unsaved in the service. We believe a person must:

9 Confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, and you will be saved.

Romans 10

We also preach and teach discipleship to the saved. We understand sanctification.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We are God's children are we not? I have two kids myself. A 2 year old and a 9 month old. I do virtually everything for them. I pay for their food, change their diapers, clean up their messes, comfort them when they are upset or hurt, bathe them, feed them, etc. I do everything I can to teach them to be good, to learn as much as they possibly can and just enjoy life every day.

What are they doing for me? They aren't paying me to be their dad. They don't clean our house or do the dishes or fix my car or anything else. They are quite literally incapable of really doing anything tangible for me. Yet at the end of the day, saying "it's worth it" doesn't even begin to cover it. Being their mommy and daddy is the best thing that ever happened to my wife and I. Words don't do it justice.

And that is just a small taste of how God sees us. No, he doesn't actually need us. We need him.
The analogy is not good because you are ascribing human qualities to God. Furthermore, God relies on "free will" and you do not give free will to your kids.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 PM

304 posts, read 302,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Done? Uh, no.

We preach salvation to the lost, not to the saved. Any given Sunday, there is likely to be someone unsaved in the service. We believe a person must:

9 Confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, and you will be saved.

Romans 10

We also preach and teach discipleship to the saved. We understand sanctification.
Jimmie, why do all evangelicals try to preach and nose into the world's business, when GOD only gives the gift to a few?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
The analogy is not good because you are ascribing human qualities to God.
Furthermore, God relies on "free will" and you do not give free will to your kids.
How can they have free will, if they do not first learn how to walk?

Do you not teach; and guide them?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"There is no love without forgiveness, and no forgiveness without love; for what power has love, but forgiveness."
That's why Jesus came.

Acts 5:31

He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Jimmie, why do all evangelicals try to preach and nose into the world's business, when GOD only gives the gift to a few?
Mark 16:15

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity