U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 AM
 
9,773 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Reputation: 2484

Advertisements

Is this the central piece of Christianity? I believe this is the essence of Christianity. Much more so than seeking salvation to live forever.

Why do some Christians ignore this centerpiece of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,819 posts, read 2,874,593 times
Reputation: 1246
Humans like to complicate things. We like to add to what is already done. We need to make sure that our ego is well fed by making sure we did something to earn something. We want to be the centerpiece of our salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,351 posts, read 8,898,341 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this the central piece of Christianity? I believe this is the essence of Christianity. Much more so than seeking salvation to live forever.

Why do some Christians ignore this centerpiece of Christianity.
The central piece of Christianity is faith in the redemptive work of Christ, through which we cross over from death to life. The Sermon on the Mount is: How to live a life that is dedicated to and pleasing to God, free from hypocrisy, full of love and grace, full of wisdom and discernment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,151 posts, read 2,193,588 times
Reputation: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this the central piece of Christianity? I believe this is the essence of Christianity. Much more so than seeking salvation to live forever.

Why do some Christians ignore this centerpiece of Christianity.
Because the VAST majority of "Christians" are conservatives who can't stomach the fact that the Teachings of Jesus Christ on the Sermon ON the Mount are liberal and these conservatives HATE to admit that Jesus Christ, Himself, was/is liberal.
So instead of allowing a person to punch them in the face again - or walking a second mile - or giving someone their "shirt" when a person has taken their "coat" - or loving their enemies - they would rather shoot the other person.

Since the very definition of the word Christian is Christ-like and Jesus Christ is liberal, the phrase "conservative Christian" is an oxymoron. A person is either a conservative or a person is a Christian. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
 
9,773 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Because the VAST majority of "Christians" are conservatives who can't stomach the fact that the Teachings of Jesus Christ on the Sermon ON the Mount are liberal and these conservatives HATE to admit that Jesus Christ, Himself, was/is liberal.
So instead of allowing a person to punch them in the face again - or walking a second mile - or giving someone their "shirt" when a person has taken their "coat" - or loving their enemies - they would rather shoot the other person.

Since the very definition of the word Christian is Christ-like and Jesus Christ is liberal, the phrase "conservative Christian" is an oxymoron. A person is either a conservative or a person is a Christian. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be both.
I agree!


Jesus was a socialist! He was very advanced in terms of social issues.


One of the reasons Christianity was more successful than other competing pagan sects was the concept of helping the poor. In the first years after Jesus ascended less successful pagan religions were promoting eternal life. OTOH, the early Christians had a completely different message based on the Sermon of the Mount. This helped the spread of Christianity over many other pagan religions that were also offering eternal life.


I see way too many Christians that are way too concerned with achieving salvation and eternal life. In fact, many see this as the main goal. Paradoxically, this is quite selfish and a misunderstanding of what a true Christian is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
 
9,773 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The central piece of Christianity is faith in the redemptive work of Christ, through which we cross over from death to life.
A bit selfish, IMHO. Thinking about YOU first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
16,351 posts, read 8,898,341 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A bit selfish, IMHO. Thinking about YOU first.
Salvation and the forgiveness of sins was the primary reason Jesus came. Jesus said, "The work of God is to believe on the one He has sent".

Once we have accepted God's free gift of salvation, we are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, the Comforter Jesus promised. The Spirit leads us to understanding and good works, which God pre-ordained for us to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX
304 posts, read 247,371 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this the central piece of Christianity? I believe this is the essence of Christianity. Much more so than seeking salvation to live forever.

Why do some Christians ignore this centerpiece of Christianity.
I LOVE YOU MAN!

I think you are pretty close to the dead on truth.

People are very self serving, which is the opposite of loving others. So protecting their own behinds is of paramount importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: california
5,655 posts, read 4,881,665 times
Reputation: 6681
I don't see any where Jesus taught being a leach on the government or society.
Dependency is on God not man.
As a matter of fact Jesus explains, John15; The Father will remove those "leach like" off his son.
It is a performance relationship, not a do your own thing sugar daddy.
Jesus was no liberal, not by a long shot.
Jesus did not teach grace, that was Paul's influence ,implying God compromising with sin/rebellion.
God does not compromise with sin.
One's performance is God observed from the inside out , so self generated out-word deeds, are not all that impressive in God's perspective.
But obedience to the Father ; that, has fruit /product, useful to God and is worth something.
Only the Holy Spirit, Jesus provided us, can give such tutelage in God's will .
Obedience is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
 
9,773 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I don't see any where Jesus taught being a leach on the government or society.
Dependency is on God not man.
As a matter of fact Jesus explains, John15; The Father will remove those "leach like" off his son.
It is a performance relationship, not a do your own thing sugar daddy.
Jesus was no liberal, not by a long shot.
Jesus did not teach grace, that was Paul's influence ,implying God compromising with sin/rebellion.
God does not compromise with sin.
One's performance is God observed from the inside out , so self generated out-word deeds, are not all that impressive in God's perspective.
But obedience to the Father ; that, has fruit /product, useful to God and is worth something.
Only the Holy Spirit, Jesus provided us, can give such tutelage in God's will .
Obedience is required.
Jesus was all about avoiding vain earthly activities. He wanted us to love our neighbors and enemies. He encouraged folks to be humble and simple. He wanted us to live like Christians. There was no obsession about salvation and eternal life in the old days, that was a given if one was a true Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top