Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM

304 posts, read 302,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Also, faith leads to righteousness because what we focus on we become.
If you don't look down the road, but look in the rear view, or the ditch, you'll end up in the ditch.

Is there or isn't there Grace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Grace is Approval. If you have Grace, your approved! Faith is the ACCESS to Grace. So if someone doesn't have Faith then they don't have Grace since the way to Grace is by Faith. So what I'm trying to show you is that Christ alone is saved and only by being members of His body are we then saved and that not everyone now has received the righteousness that is in Christ.
And if you don't have works, you don't have faith.

So, you gotta conundrum as you worded it.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, just as we are - but "in hope of the glory of God" means that change from our fallen state is coming.

I agree with everything there except the "approval" concept - approval of what? Our corruption?
ONCE you are His, you are no longer corrupted.

Try me on this. Start that thread.

Problem most folks have, is they are claiming they are HIS before scripture acknowledges they are, and THEN they gotta start scrambling.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
And if you don't have works, you don't have faith.

So, you gotta conundrum as you worded it.
It isn't how I worded it. It is how Paul worded it:

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
If you don't look down the road, but look in the rear view, or the ditch, you'll end up in the ditch.

Is there or isn't there Grace?
Absolutely - that's why the windshield is a lot bigger than the rear view mirror, we're not supposed to look at the past.

A little known lesson from the Old Covenant is that the priest was never to touch dead things, or he would be defiled. Now that we are priests (1 Pet 2:5), the dead thing in our lives is the past - it will certainly keep us from our destiny in Him if we're always feeling regret, playing the "what-if" game, etc.

A lesson I'm learning.

But yes, there is grace to help in time of need - hallelujah.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
ONCE you are His, you are no longer corrupted.

Try me on this. Start that thread.

Problem most folks have, is they are claiming they are HIS before scripture acknowledges they are, and THEN they gotta start scrambling.
I'm about to head out for the day, so I really don't want to put together an OP but I will submit that we can abide in the Vine, or be in the flesh - all while being His child.

I firmly believe that.

There are times (more than not) when we are consumed with the cares of this world (on the job, caring for the kids, various social settings) and our hearts and minds are not stayed on Him. That's when negative judgment, fear, bitterness, etc. can come in and derail our path.

That's what I call "not abiding"; why, because God is I AM - right now - and our life in Him is present tense always. It's hard to explain, but we are healed (Isa 53), He's a present help (Psa 46), our daily bread is not for tomorrow (see manna references).

Abiding...you can't live off yesterday's inspiration, for His quickening is for the task at hand.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:32 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:
I'm about to head out for the day, so I really don't want to put together an OP but I will submit that we can abide in the Vine, or be in the flesh - all while being His child.

I firmly believe that.

There are times (more than not) when we are consumed with the cares of this world (on the job, caring for the kids, various social settings) and our hearts and minds are not stayed on Him. That's when negative judgment, fear, bitterness, etc. can come in and derail our path.

That's what I call "not abiding"; why, because God is I AM - right now - and our life in Him is present tense always. It's hard to explain, but we are healed (Isa 53), He's a present help (Psa 46), our daily bread is not for tomorrow (see manna references).

Abiding...you can't live off yesterday's inspiration, for His quickening is for the task at hand.
So you don't believe there are children of the devil? Can someone serve two masters?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It isn't how I worded it. It is how Paul worded it:

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Gal 5:6 the most important theological discussion of PAUL'S day wasn't important but faith working through love was.

If you don't have works you don't have faith. Albeit that is JAMES.

But Paul corroborates that Spiritual Maturity comes through works. Paul, Jesus, James, John all agree that love/agapao, comes with works.

John writes if you don't have agape, your claim to be saved is a damnable lie. If you aren't in Him and He isn't in you, then you don't have love, and lacking Him you are damned, not "saved" whatever that last word means.

So, you think Paul contradicts himself. I think his whole body of work is accurate.

You ignore some pieces, I fit them all together.

You are still left with the conundrum if you choose to face it or not.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I firmly believe that.
Me too. Now what that means in scripture we should fight like bratty kids over, and it sounds like fun... :P

I'd mention, scripture says there is a time you are not in the flesh, while you walk on earth. Thank God for His strength.

Quote:
There is a time, when this no longer happens, too. At Xian maturity, this won't be an event in your life anymore, at least in a way that is in conflict with God.

Quote:

If you are game we can come back to it someday. I think it'll be a fun chat. I've been where you are, I get it. In my experience, there are a few things, I don't think You've ran through this ringer.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
So you don't believe there are children of the devil? Can someone serve two masters?
Is Children of the Devil a biblical thought????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity