U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,758,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He knows. He was being disingenuous and evasive.
And dishonest. Surprise, surprise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Would I be upset if there is a hell where any people were burning up for eternity? More like horrified, and terrified of a being who would command and/or allow it. And I'm not sure why anyone thinks that if this were the case, it wouldn't be themselves burning. Because you read something in a book that you think will keep you safe from such a demented being?

And maybe you will think I am complicating the thread, Torpedos, but I take issue withe the term "bad people", as if they are a separate class of people. If something has to be annihilated, it's the "bad" within each of us.

The greatest "enemy" any of us has is no one outside of ourselves; it is the one within us that keeps us feeling separated from God and from each other.
I agree with Pleroo on all points. I just watched a Twilight Zone episode that was about a wicked witch who was demented by her lust for the power to inflict harm. Sure can't imagine God being like that.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I will not judge God, so accept any way He choose to judge people. Why would anyone be mad to see there is no hell? Its a weird question.
It's a weird question? Really? What is weird about a question that weighs so heavily on the mind of millions of beings on the planet? Why should we stick our heads in the sand on that topic? Why not bring it out into the light and examine it? Does God have anything to hide from anyone? I don't think so.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Did anyone notice the OP saying they would be upset at God for doing what He revealed He would do? I don't think threatening God is a wise thing to do.
How can anyone threaten God? That is non-sense.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I worked in production on stents for the heart and other arteries .
The rejection rate depended on a very high list of manufacturing requirements ,with a spirit of our product could actually be applied to some on in our own family.
With that in mind ,while you doing our work ,just how sloppy are you going to be ?
If caught being sloppy ,one is reprimanded ,until either you change your attitude or are moved to something less sensitive , or fired.
There is no tolerance for sloppy , it not only reflects on the company as a whole and is a serious liability , any negative issues with customers and every one looses.
It's a really big deal.
Out of something 4mmx10mm.
Flaws matter.
Don't they matter to you ?
Do you put rotten food on you table for every one to eat? why not ?
What do you do with rotten food ?
I put it either in the garbage or on the mulch pile .
Does any one that cares about their life, deliberately put cancer in their body? NO (some one that smokes does not care about their life nor those around them, knowing full well what it does)
So why would any one think God would bring rebellion to heaven and endanger His home and those He loves ?
So , what do you do with infectious disease ?
God removed Satan from heaven for rebellion, along with a third of the angels .
That should be a lesson for those of you choosing to embrace the questionable tutelage of men rather than God him self.
I would leave you with this last thing,
Jesus said it is a narrow way, and FEW there be that find it.
Revelation reveals that heaven is a measured fixed size .
On the other hand the old testament reveals that hell is ever expanding .
Interesting to note that the earth's core is molten iron among other things ,and it seems that the earth is expanding as well. Earth quakes in the pacific ring of fire are evidence of that.
How would early man know such things?
Elements such a argon gas are so heavy they not only drop to the ground but continue through the dirt down word.
With out something to house it, it fallows it's natural course.
With out God's intervention and healing, man's dormant soul has only this body to support it . Once the body has begun to decay ,what's left will be consumed into the earth naturally including the unregenerated soul.
Jesus said ,"except a man is borne again he cannot see the kingdom of heaven."
This is a healing or a quickening of the soul/spirit, binging the dormant to life like a seed getting water and soil.
What it feeds on matters ,because God will still judge the use or abuse of this gift, just as Satan is judged.
Choosing to feed your born again soul/spirit from the table of men, rather than the hand of God, is an insult for the investment wouldn't you agree ?
John 15; Jesus said God will have fruitless branches (like leaches) removed off His son and burned. These are folks that got connected born again initially, fed of the word of men, and use Jesus name for their own means, and are not obedient to God. Matthew 7; 21,22,23, Not just preachers, but many that have only a casual faith.
I do not sport these verses litely, there is a personal examination that goes on every day, that I should pray and obey.
There is an eternal perspective that is different ,when one hangs around God .
I so wish you could see it .
Since you believe people can be born again and be lost, then I take it you never have full assurance of your salvation. This is the problem with religious extremists - they teach that in order to be "right" with God we have to be continually terrified of him. But that's not true. Jesus came to give us peace and rest, not continual fear and trembling and wringing of hands. You clearly have never been free from fear, otherwise you would not see things the way you do.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I suppose that there might be some who feel that if they can't rationally comprehend something, then they will not believe it for I guess they refuse to lower themselves to that sort of level of believing things without being able to comprehend it because there are so many things which they can comprehend (? I don't know--I'm not quite sure how to describe that feeling; perhaps they feel they're being taken advantage of, or if they start to believe that then they might be duped in to believing other things or something like that). Personally, I feel that that is the pride of human knowledge setting in, as in if someone can't understand something then it has no place in someone's very high mind which is replete with all kinds of understanding. It's arrogance. I know that God has given us the gift of reason, yet it seems very reasonable to me to understand that the infinite cannot be perceived by something finite.
I disagree. I was raised to believe in eternal torment and did believe it (with my mind) but my heart could not accept it so it made me virtually dysfunctional throughout my young adulthood. In fact, I did believe it and wanted to be able to NOT BELIEVE it. But did not have the truth to set me free from the abominable teaching that pervades the majority of man-built religious institutions.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 AM

668 posts, read 570,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Threatening God? Wow, how did you figure that out. I sure would not want to worship a god that would burn people up. A god that burns people is not a god at all. So I guess you can say I will threaten such a god. But I would never lift such a thought against the Almighty God.
You just said if God did what He said He was going to do you would not worship Him and that He is no God at all. Will you say that to His face when you see it happen? And you just did lift such a thought against Almighty God.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 AM

62,969 posts, read 34,302,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It's a weird question? Really? What is weird about a question that weighs so heavily on the mind of millions of beings on the planet? Why should we stick our heads in the sand on that topic? Why not bring it out into the light and examine it? Does God have anything to hide from anyone? I don't think so.
It's weird to ask if someone would be mad if there is no hell. Never in my life have I heard anyone suggest they'd be mad if there is no hell.

It's same as asking if you'd me mad if no one had to die a physical death.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM

987 posts, read 908,097 times
physical death = hell (at least the orthodox painting of hell)?

I hardly think so. Physical death is something we have all seen happen to insects, animals and our loved ones. We see them suffer for a time and then their bodies become still and they seem to be at peace.

Orthodox version of hell---demons grab you (whatever there is of 'you' once it leaves the physical body, and drag you to an underworld of caves and darkness and howling and moaning and fire burning you and maybe a demon piercing you with piich forks all he while these demons are laughing. I's black but the fire les you see just enough to see the horrible hopeless surroundings. hen after a time, you go before the judgment throne and are shown why you deserve to be treated this way forever and are sent back maybe with the furnace turned up a notch or two. Of course there are different versions of this. Some say there is just an absence of God before and after the judgment. But most agree that whatever miserable circumstances you are in, it never changes, forever, and the ever as if there is more after forever.

How can you say that physical death which to those alive just seems to be sleep and an absence of consciousness is the same as this picture of punishment?

But you can take a word that asuredly does NOT always mean with no end because it described things in scripture which have long ago ended, and then claim that when applied to punishment for a finite period of 'evil' deeds or choices is clearly shown in scriptures. Rubbish.

It is certain men's interpretations that make God out as threatening 'eternal' suffering to be the end for those who have done evil or didn't make the right choice in a few short years. Others interpret it as saying that everyone will be slated with fire (metaphorically) for as long as it's necessary to turn a heart of stone into a heart of flesh. How long did that take with Paul? A few heartbeats?

Many challenge the popular notion of 'hell' and what awaits God's creatures after physical death. I don't think God considers that as rebellion. He gave us minds to think independently. Why would He condemn us for using them?

Look up every place the word 'aion' and it's various forms appears in scripture and then at how it's been translated. You might be surprised. It's only men's choice tha makes it say age in one place, world in another, eternal a another, and even NEVER and in a few places it's totally ignored. How better to control the masses than to tell them if they don't do everything they're told by the church they will suffer 'forever'. Don't give them hope that their pagan parents and children will someday be beloved saints of God able to take of the water of life freely after learning the true love of God.

I think God is much bigger and loving than to give His creatures a few short years to become what He could have made them with a snap of His finger.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM

5,133 posts, read 2,528,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
I would be surprised to get to heaven and find Hitler or say, Ted Bundy, there. However, I wouldn't be upset or mad because of it as it isn't my decision. I like to think I'd be happy to know they did whatever they needed to for God to accept them.
Heaven is for Jesus ' spiritual ' brothers who die faithful - Rev. 2 v 10
They are the holy ones [ saints ] of Daniel 7 vs 21,22,27 who reign with Christ for a thousand years over earth.

The majority of mankind can have a future resurrection [ Acts 24 v 15 ]. Resurrected back to healthy physical life during Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth. Or, reigning over earthly subjects of God's kingdom of a thousand years.
- Psalm 72 vs 8, 12-14
As to who will be there remains to be seen. We do know those who are judged as committing the unforgivable sin [ Matthew 12 v 32; Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 ] will Not have a resurrection anywhere in heaven or on earth. They are considered as annihilated. - Psalm 92 v 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or