U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

910 posts, read 1,085,427 times

Advertisements

The Bible is the word of God, therefore all things therein are correct provided you are guided by the Holy Spirit.

Who is the Holy Spirit? HE is the Comforter who is God and has come to teach us even the things that Christ could not teach us. There are many types of truth but only one is the accurate truth.

The question now is have you been taught by the Comforter? If you have not you may not have the accurate truth! Only those taught directly of God can teach others the whole truth. They can be teachers until the whole world comes to know this truth, we shall always have teachers.

But there are false teaching and false teachers who teach false or inaccurate doctrines, such doctrines as cöntradict the ovearching message of the coming of the kingdom of God on earth, To such teachers do not listen. Refer them to 2PET 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 05:40 AM

910 posts, read 1,085,427 times
The Bible is the word of God, therefore all things therein are correct provided you are guided by the Holy Spirit.

Who is the Holy Spirit? HE is the Comforter who is God and has come to teach us even the things that Christ could not teach us. There are many types of truth but only one is the accurate truth.

The question now is have you been taught by the Comforter? If you have not you may not have the accurate truth! Only those taught directly of God can teach others the whole truth. They can be teachers until the whole world comes to know this truth, we shall always have teachers.

But there are false teaching and false teachers who teach false or inaccurate doctrines, such doctrines as cöntradict the ovearching message of the coming of the kingdom of God on earth, To such teachers do not listen. Refer them to 2PET 2.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM

21,924 posts, read 16,727,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I did not see that asserted. Maybe I'm missing something. All I saw asserted is that we are to learn from the Holy Spirit, which IS true and that Spirit is what was promised us to lead us into all truth.

teachers may be and are used by the Spirit. Paul also never said that anyone who teaches should use the title of "teacher" or claim the authority associated wiht the title. The Spirit is ALWAYS the authority and anyone who teaches is a tool for good or bad depending on whether they teach IN the Spirit.
Arleigh was referring to everything I wrote in post #26. Therefore read what I wrote in that post.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM

16,293 posts, read 7,672,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Arleigh was referring to everything I wrote in post #26. Therefore read what I wrote in that post.
I had read that post, but I guess I discounted Mystic' comment as overstating a reaction to claims by teachers, pastors, priests or whateve to authority when they have none. They may have all kinds of learning in language, background, history and whatever else it may take to undeerstand and expound on what is written in the Bible but nothing they say is of any value without the testimony of the Spirit. I think that Mystic and Arleigh will agree with that. Shall we see?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 AM

304 posts, read 247,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
(Reference is to posts #26 and 31)

Deny it though you may, there is no getting around the fact that you are simply ignoring the New Testament Scriptures which clearly show that human teachers are legitimate in God's plan for communicating spiritual truths to believers both in the previous dispensation of Israel and in the current Church age. By ignoring certain verses in favor of other verses which you wrongly think say that human teachers are not necessary, you are cherry picking. As shown in post #26 the readers to whom John wrote in 1 John 2:27 and to which he said did not need anyone to teach them, had already previously received apostolic teaching. They did not need any additional teaching to avoid being deceived by the false teachers to whom he referred.

The Holy Spirit who indwells every Church age believer, and who is the true Mentor, uses the Scriptures and human teachers (Pastor/teachers) to teach believers. To deny that in the face of the Scriptures which speak of human teachers is, again, cherry picking.

Anyone who is objective and honest can recognize that fact no matter how much you choose to deny it.

TO DO SO IS TO IGNORE SOLA SCRIPTURA. This whole chat just cracks me up.

I prefer to argue with Catholics not defend them, but I never get to have fun in these forums, because Catholic Doctrine is always attacked. It must be, they are Catholics so they were wrong when the got outta bad.

According to PAUL, there were appointed leaders, who were established, trained, taught, and directed by the APostles, woh were taught to teach both doctrine that was written AND spoken. <<< THAT IS AN UNDENIABLE FACT OF SCRIPTURE.

The only question remaining for someone saying other wise, is, Do you prefer to be called heretic, anti christ, Editor for God, or just plain silly.

And a separate question, just to stir the pot some, cuz I'm jiggy like that, is, "IF YOU ARE a sola scriptura protestant, what do you do when SCRIPTURA scripts that it's not the sole authority?"

That's up there with can God make a rock he can't lift for having an endless answer.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 PM

40,117 posts, read 26,779,715 times
Quote:
I did not see that asserted. Maybe I'm missing something. All I saw asserted is that we are to learn from the Holy Spirit, which IS true and that Spirit is what was promised us to lead us into all truth.
teachers may be and are used by the Spirit. Paul also never said that anyone who teaches should use the title of "teacher" or claim the authority associated wiht the title. The Spirit is ALWAYS the authority and anyone who teaches is a tool for good or bad depending on whether they teach IN the Spirit.
Quote:
I had read that post, but I guess I discounted Mystic' comment as overstating a reaction to claims by teachers, pastors, priests or whateve to authority when they have none. They may have all kinds of learning in language, background, history and whatever else it may take to undeerstand and expound on what is written in the Bible but nothing they say is of any value without the testimony of the Spirit. I think that Mystic and Arleigh will agree with that. Shall we see?
Agree, nate! If we are not led by the Holy Spirit by asking WWJT . . . we are NOT led by the truth. This is why we are told to test the Spirit by its "fruits" . . . not any claimed authority . . . which no one has today. We ALL know God . . . if we sincerely query our hearts.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 PM

304 posts, read 247,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Agree, nate! If we are not led by the Holy Spirit by asking WWJT . . . we are NOT led by the truth. This is why we are told to test the Spirit by its "fruits" . . . not any claimed authority . . . which no one has today. We ALL know God . . . if we sincerely query our hearts.
I was with you til the Red.

Not to create the tangent here, just for our future reference. There is an authority that leads the Church. I can not identify that authority, but it's there, basing that on Christ set it up that way, to perpetuate and grow and I don't think he fails.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 PM

16,293 posts, read 7,672,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
I was with you til the Red.

Not to create the tangent here, just for our future reference. There is an authority that leads the Church. I can not identify that authority, but it's there, basing that on Christ set it up that way, to perpetuate and grow and I don't think he fails.
Quick foray on a tangent, can you say how that authority was set up and how, for instance, James the brother of Jesus was a part of it?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,766,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
A "cherry" tree is known by its fruit.
I was going to say, when we cherry pick, we get cherries. No one goes picking thorns that I know of. But sometimes to get a nice basket of fruit, you do have to walk through a brier patch.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,766,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Perhaps the problem isn't whether or not people cherry-pick but rather the idea that the foundation should be the bible. Even your bible says the foundation to be built on is Christ, not the bible. Do with that what you will, but as I see it, Christ is one and the same as the spirit of God who is love. If you are walking in the spirit, then your foundation is sure.
Amen! You are so right about that. So many people rely on the bible rather than Christ. Without the Spirit, there is no life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity