U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 PM

473 posts, read 616,098 times

Advertisements

Most people think that there were only twelve apostles, here is a list found within the pages of the Bible of named apostles.

1. Simon Peter (Matt. 10:2)
2. Andrew (Matt. 10:2)
3. James the son of Zebedee (Matt. 10:2)
4. John (Matt. 10:2)
5. Philip (Matt. 10:3)
6. Bartholomew (Matt. 10:3)
7. Thomas (Matt. 10:3)
8. Matthew (Matt. 10:3)
9. James the son of Alphaeus (Matt. 10:3)
10. Thaddaeus (Matt. 10:3), or Judas the son of James (Luke 6:16)
11. Simon the Zealot (Matt. 10:4)
12. Judas Iscariot (Matt. 10:4)
13. Matthias (Acts 1:26)
14. Paul (Gal. 1:1)
15. Barnabas (1 Cor. 9:5-6, Acts 14:4, 14)
16. Andronicus (Rom. 16:7)
17. Junias (Rom. 16:7)--female
18. James, the Lord's brother (Gal. 1:19)
19. Silas (Silvanus) (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:6)
20. Timothy (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:6)
21. Unnamed apostles (1 Cor. 15:7)
22. The seventy (Luke 10:1)
23. Epaphroditus (Php 2:25)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,895,862 times
There were 12 disciples & a bunch of apostles

Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
There were 12 disciples & a bunch of apostles
I think you've got that backwards, little elmer. A disciple is a follower of Jesus Christ. Christ had many disciples; we are His disciples today. We are not his Apostles.

Of those Sheila mentioned, not all were specifically refered to as Apostles. Obviously, we can all agree that the original twelve were. They were:

1. Peter
2. Andrew
3. James the son of Zebedee
4. John
5. Philip
6. Bartholomew
7. Thomas
8. Matthew
9. James the son of Alphaeus
10. Thaddaeus
11. Simon the Zealot
12. Judas Iscariot

Matthias replaced Judas Iscariot. Paul was also named as an Apostle, as was Barnabas, and James (the Lord's brother).

Andronicus, Junias, Silas, Timothy, and Epaphroditus, unless I'm mistaken, were never referred to as Apostles. The seventy were not Apostles, either. Other "unnamed apostles" were certainly a possibility, as initially, vacancies within the group were always filled.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 PM

A disciple is a student and an apostles is sent forth to tell others (teach what they have learned)
They are students/disciples taught by the holy spirit and then sent forth as apostles. Check the Bible references--the ones I posted ARE listed as apostles except for the seventy who were sent forth to spread the word that God taught them and where it says other apostles in the Bible (without saying names)
Yeshua Bless You

Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,629,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
A disciple is a student and an apostles is sent forth to tell others (teach what they have learned)
They are students/disciples taught by the holy spirit and then sent forth as apostles. Check the Bible references--the ones I posted ARE listed as apostles except for the seventy who were sent forth to spread the word that God taught them and where it says other apostles in the Bible (without saying names)
Yeshua Bless You
There was an inner 12. In Acts 1:26 we read that Matthias was chosen as a replacement for Judas, bringing the total back to 12.

There were many more that were around and followed Jesus, but were not part of the 12.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,629,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you've got that backwards, little elmer. A disciple is a follower of Jesus Christ. Christ had many disciples; we are His disciples today. We are not his Apostles.

Of those Sheila mentioned, not all were specifically refered to as Apostles. Obviously, we can all agree that the original twelve were. They were:

1. Peter
2. Andrew
4. John
5. Philip
6. Bartholomew
7. Thomas
8. Matthew
10. Thaddaeus
11. Simon the Zealot
12. Judas Iscariot

Matthias replaced Judas Iscariot. Paul was also named as an Apostle, as was Barnabas, and James (the Lord's brother).

Andronicus, Junias, Silas, Timothy, and Epaphroditus, unless I'm mistaken, were never referred to as Apostles. The seventy were not Apostles, either. Other "unnamed apostles" were certainly a possibility, as initially, vacancies within the group were always filled.
Tried to rep you but cant.....good post.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 PM

304 posts, read 247,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

1. Peter
2. Andrew
4. John
5. Philip
6. Bartholomew
7. Thomas
8. Matthew
10. Thaddaeus
11. Simon the Zealot
12. Judas Iscariot

Where do you get barny was????

Never thought James the brother was an apostle..... can you help me with that?

and in the OP I don't see how this...
Phl 2:25
But I thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your fnmessenger and minister to my need;

makes Epaph an apostle... that's a supposition.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Where do you get barny was????

Never thought James the brother was an apostle..... can you help me with that?

and in the OP I don't see how this...
Phl 2:25
But I thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your fnmessenger and minister to my need;

makes Epaph an apostle... that's a supposition.
Joses Barnabas Acts 14:14 -James the brother of Jesus-Galatians 1:19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or