U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
304 posts, read 247,503 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

So, you may have noticed, I'm an in your face, challenging sorta guy. I was asked if I ever felt bad about it.

I said no.

The person walked away disappointed in me. I was sad for a second, then shrugged it off, "that's not on me."

That comes across as grossly arrogant.

It is the Spiritual gift of agitation.

A blade can't be sharpened without being rubbed against something. I rub, therefore I am.

As long as my challenges are of pure heart, not ad hominem attack, then we both are challenged and should learn something. If you don't embrace the conflicting views, how can you apply yours against theirs to test your view?

If you never challenge your view, and you are wrong, how will you be corrected?

So, if someone presents an opposing view, and you disregard it, don't consider it, and just tell them how they are wrong, you never challenged your views.

So, yes, I challenge you. Because I respect you, and care for you in a sense that I hope you are on His path. My heart is clear of conscience because it's clear of ill intent.

If I make you angry, good. That may be what it takes to get you to actually consider something rather than just repeating your pat answers and empty cliches.

AM I arrogant? In the sense if I say something I think it's right, if that is arrogance, then yeah. But, I've been wrong and owned it a dozen times at least on here. I don't think arrogance allows for that, does it?
Who says something, where THEY DO NOT THINK they are right? That's a person you should be worried about. rofl.

Challenge, accept the challenges, use the Spiritual Gift of Agitation and be sharp.

Do you still hate that gift?

 
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,278,218 times
Reputation: 62061
This like anything else is received as well as it is presented in my opinion.
If you want to discuss without being patronizing and arrogant then we discuss.
If you can't discuss without being patronizing and arrogant then we don't discuss.
There is no reason to agitate when one can soothe.
This is simply my opinion and what is right for me.
I can state clearly and concisely exactly what I mean and mean what I say without being arrogant, agitateing or patronizing. I can listen just as well the exact same way.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,819 posts, read 2,876,106 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
So, you may have noticed, I'm an in your face, challenging sorta guy. I was asked if I ever felt bad about it.

I said no.

The person walked away disappointed in me. I was sad for a second, then shrugged it off, "that's not on me."

That comes across as grossly arrogant.

It is the Spiritual gift of agitation.

A blade can't be sharpened without being rubbed against something. I rub, therefore I am.

As long as my challenges are of pure heart, not ad hominem attack, then we both are challenged and should learn something. If you don't embrace the conflicting views, how can you apply yours against theirs to test your view?

If you never challenge your view, and you are wrong, how will you be corrected?

So, if someone presents an opposing view, and you disregard it, don't consider it, and just tell them how they are wrong, you never challenged your views.

So, yes, I challenge you. Because I respect you, and care for you in a sense that I hope you are on His path. My heart is clear of conscience because it's clear of ill intent.

If I make you angry, good. That may be what it takes to get you to actually consider something rather than just repeating your pat answers and empty cliches.

AM I arrogant? In the sense if I say something I think it's right, if that is arrogance, then yeah. But, I've been wrong and owned it a dozen times at least on here. I don't think arrogance allows for that, does it?
Who says something, where THEY DO NOT THINK they are right? That's a person you should be worried about. rofl.

Challenge, accept the challenges, use the Spiritual Gift of Agitation and be sharp.

Do you still hate that gift?
I actually wish I can be like that in life. I hate all confrontation. And I hate that. Even if I can win the debate , I will usually let the other person think they won. I will say something like " ahhh, ok, I inderstand". In reality, I know I need to not back down.but I usually do. The only debate I win is the one I have when I am alone.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
304 posts, read 247,503 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I actually wish I can be like that in life. I hate all confrontation. And I hate that. Even if I can win the debate , I will usually let the other person think they won. I will say something like " ahhh, ok, I inderstand". In reality, I know I need to not back down.but I usually do. The only debate I win is the one I have when I am alone.
That is your gift. dont' fight it. That's how you are made. There is a reason you are made that way.

The world has basically four basic poles of personality. Picture a clock pointing to 12, 6, 3, 9 at the same time. OR a pie cut into four pieces.

You have the left and right sides, and the top and bottom sides.

Both sides on the left, are your rational side.

Both sides on the right are your emotional side. You will lean one way or the other for yoru motivation.

The top half is the dominant side.
The bottom half is the submissive side.

If you draw that map, you can mark people's personalities with a dot on the map. BUT remember everyone manifests at least three personalities.

There is that "inner child" that they try to protect that comes out rarely.
There is the image you promote to the world for that child to hide behind and be safe. (that's where MPD comes from. when someone has trauma and needs a different personality to hide behind.)

THEN you may have a different image for family, for work, for church, etc....

Each personality behaves differently, and all are part of that inner child, or a representation to hide behind. Like holding a painting up between us and hiding behind it and speaking from there, through the painting.

You sound, at a glance, that you are on the empathy/emotional side, and the non confrontational side. or submissive side. You sound like your dot would go close to the rational side but be over the line into submissive.

Anyway, find how that is supposed to work for you, and embrace it. I tried to walk around and hold it back so others can not be upset with me for years. But what happens then, is the others will continue to try to impose on you their views and beliefs. Since you don't object in a way they have to face it, they take that as license to keep pretending they are the ones who are right.

You have to be careful with those types, or just be blunt. Nothing in between works.

That's been my experience. And that will meet up with basic psych in college.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM
 
12,886 posts, read 15,445,468 times
Reputation: 14854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
So, you may have noticed, I'm an in your face, challenging sorta guy. I was asked if I ever felt bad about it.

I said no.

The person walked away disappointed in me. I was sad for a second, then shrugged it off, "that's not on me."

That comes across as grossly arrogant.

It is the Spiritual gift of agitation.

A blade can't be sharpened without being rubbed against something. I rub, therefore I am.

As long as my challenges are of pure heart, not ad hominem attack, then we both are challenged and should learn something. If you don't embrace the conflicting views, how can you apply yours against theirs to test your view?

If you never challenge your view, and you are wrong, how will you be corrected?

So, if someone presents an opposing view, and you disregard it, don't consider it, and just tell them how they are wrong, you never challenged your views.

So, yes, I challenge you. Because I respect you, and care for you in a sense that I hope you are on His path. My heart is clear of conscience because it's clear of ill intent.

If I make you angry, good. That may be what it takes to get you to actually consider something rather than just repeating your pat answers and empty cliches.

AM I arrogant? In the sense if I say something I think it's right, if that is arrogance, then yeah. But, I've been wrong and owned it a dozen times at least on here. I don't think arrogance allows for that, does it?
Who says something, where THEY DO NOT THINK they are right? That's a person you should be worried about. rofl.

Challenge, accept the challenges, use the Spiritual Gift of Agitation and be sharp.

Do you still hate that gift?
I think it was more "grossly arrogant" of the person to be disappointed in you...I basically can't disagree with you except for the part where you say you care "for you in a sense that I hope you are on His path"...that, I don't understand...I wouldn't say you're arrogant,,maybe that you like a challenge...It's never wrong to speak what you feel is the truth, it's always good to hear other ways of thinking and believing...the trick is to do it respectfully (as you said) and hope that if you disagree you can do so kindly, and without malice..Agitation sometimes gets the best and most real results. Never really thought of it as a gift though...that's a nice way to put it.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
304 posts, read 247,503 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think it was more "grossly arrogant" of the person to be disappointed in you...I basically can't disagree with you except for the part where you say you care "for you in a sense that I hope you are on His path"...that, I don't understand...I wouldn't say you're arrogant,,maybe that you like a challenge...It's never wrong to speak what you feel is the truth, it's always good to hear other ways of thinking and believing...the trick is to do it respectfully (as you said) and hope that if you disagree you can do so kindly, and without malice..Agitation sometimes gets the best and most real results. Never really thought of it as a gift though...that's a nice way to put it.
What's the verse about iron rubbing iron?

World English Dictionary
agitation (ˌædʒɪˈteɪʃən)

— n
1. a state of excitement, disturbance, or worry
2. the act of moving something vigorously; the shaking or stirring of something
3. the act of attempting to stir up public opinion for or against something

When you clean the dishes, and use a brush, you use agitation.

That's the sense I was using it in. But the duble entrende is there, I admit it.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,278,218 times
Reputation: 62061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
That's up to you. I was being self deprecating and admitting how I can sound in text. If you want to build a strawman and burn it, don't do it on my back.

And what exactly do you think arrogant means? And how did I fit that definition???



Even soothing is agitating by definition. Look the word up. YOu deny the premise, the emotionally ran personalities always do. You can't sharpen a blade without rubbing it against something. If it's rough iron, or jewelers rouge, it's still agitation. IS this what you mean by being cocky? Having an answer? I bet it is.



I'm sorry I tweaked your delicate sensitivities. Now take your strawman and have a good day.

Never said you tweaked anything and I am far from delicate and please don't give yourself so much credit for having done anything more than mildly entertain me for a few moments with your post.
Honestly I read it and responded because I was bored and waiting for the shower to become available.
It really wasn't that entertaining anyway and I never said you were "cocky", I personally do not like nor do I use that word.
I don't have a strawman either, they draw bugs this time of year and I dislike bugs and I have had and will continue to have a great day and night and the same tomorrow.
 
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,574 posts, read 21,726,369 times
Reputation: 18121
Closed for moderation consideration
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting and sub forums
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top