U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM

16,454 posts, read 7,775,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes, I have. I have also been questioned by congregants in regards to thinks I have preached. I welcome the questions...as it tells me that they listened.

It is the responsibility of the congregation and elders to examine what is said from the pulpit and make sure he is preaching truth.
No rep for YOU! Too early, much as it is deserved.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,893,567 times
most preachers will not change their minds. especially if it goes against their hierarchy. imagine a preacher who finally realizes that tithe is not for his people. He mentions it, shows them that they don't need to tithe or have that bondage on them. If his bosses at headquarters say the church has to teach it, then he has to. the funny thing is that I think the preacher will actually get more money for telling it how it is. but most will not go against the grind. They have a job to keep, and that is understandable.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 7,841,859 times
Quote:
Yes, I have. I have also been questioned by congregants in regards to thinks I have preached. I welcome the questions...as it tells me that they listened.

It is the responsibility of the congregation and elders to examine what is said from the pulpit and make sure he is preaching truth
What VIZIO said here is 100% correct. If a Christian thinks that his or her pastor is corrupting scripture and teaching lies, as a Christian, they have an obligation to point out the error and if the pastor is corrected, the pastor should announce his error and correct himself.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,246,177 times
I've had respectful disagreements with several pastors. The most common disputes are about alcohol and titheing.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 AM

668 posts, read 574,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
most preachers will not change their minds. especially if it goes against their hierarchy. imagine a preacher who finally realizes that tithe is not for his people. He mentions it, shows them that they don't need to tithe or have that bondage on them. If his bosses at headquarters say the church has to teach it, then he has to. the funny thing is that I think the preacher will actually get more money for telling it how it is. but most will not go against the grind. They have a job to keep, and that is understandable.
And that's a good reason to stay out of these man-made hierarchy systems. It's not the way Jesus built His church and is never a good thing.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,751,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I am not a part of a major denomination that tells me specifically what to teach on every point. My higher-ups give me quite a bit of leeway on the minor points like tithing. For the record, I've publicly stated from the pulpit that we can't please God according to how much we tithe.

Having said that, if I start teaching that we must work our way to heaven or some other damnable heresy....well, I need to be removed from the pulpit--preferably before the end of my sermon. It's not just my higher-ups' responsibility, but it's the responsibility of my elders to recognize heresy and give me the boot.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM

400 posts, read 456,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Preachers are only human, and as such, subject to human error. --- I've always welcomed congregation input (and told them so) ... whenever someone thinks I have presented something incorrectly or am in error! While I do the best I can with what I've got to work with, I've listened to recordings of my own sermons and found instances where I misquoted scriptures or incorrectly stated a position.

Most good preachers welcome honest ‘correction’ from members of the congregation who are seriously concerned that the congregation might be taught incorrect doctrine. I've found that these discussions are like "iron sharpening iron" between two believers who are both seeking only God's truth and the Spiritual welfare of others.

On the other hand, 'human opinion' (either mine or others) does not stand on equal ground with God's Word. While there are always multiple ways to view individual passages, scripture almost always repeatedly affirms important doctrines and positions.
Thank you for being a voice of wisdom in this thread. The two times I remember asking for clarification about something preached both pastors were more than happy to discuss the matters.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM

400 posts, read 456,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
And that's a good reason to stay out of these man-made hierarchy systems. It's not the way Jesus built His church and is never a good thing.
Quote:
I am not a part of a major denomination that tells me specifically what to teach on every point. My higher-ups give me quite a bit of leeway on the minor points like tithing. For the record, I've publicly stated from the pulpit that we can't please God according to how much we tithe.

Having said that, if I start teaching that we must work our way to heaven or some other damnable heresy....well, I need to be removed from the pulpit--preferably before the end of my sermon. It's not just my higher-ups' responsibility, but it's the responsibility of my elders to recognize heresy and give me the boot.
Amen to both of you Fundamental Bible Believer and Vizio.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM

20,540 posts, read 12,307,466 times
I did once thought I did a terrible thing- as it was in the open and I was young and I did apologize, but was told later ASK- bring it up in word and put it as a question- and gives respect to the man or woman at the front

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM

32,501 posts, read 21,322,228 times
Quote:

It is the responsibility of the congregation and elders to examine what is said from the pulpit and make sure he is preaching truth.
I can't get my head around this one. If they already know the truth, why are they being taught the truth?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity