U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,738,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I can't get my head around this one. If they already know the truth, why are they being taught the truth?.
The truth is what they want to hear. What they want to hear may not necessarily be the truth.

That is why they are encouraged to shop for a church where the preacher says what they want to hear.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM

20,421 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Quote:
I can't get my head around this one.

If they already know the truth, why are they being taught the truth?.
If it was the truth, why would they question it?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,636,802 times
Quote:
I can't get my head around this one. If they already know the truth, why are they being taught the truth?.
Within every congregation there will likely be people of varying degrees of knowledge. We have elders that may not be prepared to preach on a passage but they can tell if I am trying to pull a fast one.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
Yes, sort of. I've asked questions that got me asked to leave two churches. Long time ago. They did not like my questions. I was searching and sincerely needed honest answers.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
Quote:
A very astute question. People in churches are searching for answers and for peace.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times
Many Pastors come out of Bible Colleges and Seminaries with doctrinal biases that they overcome as they grow in the Word. If you are a Methodist pastor that now believes in eternal security, or a Baptist Pastor that knows the wine in the Bible was not grape juice, etc.,what do you do? You need the pay check and you really want to minister to your congregation, so do you keep teaching what you believe is incorrect but what your denomination demands of you? Or do you resign? Pastor's responses especially welcomed.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,321,442 times
I don't often post here but in my enquiring days, the pastor gave me a huge encyclopaedia on religions to read through on a question he was not able to answer. Also, as a confidant of his he shared stuff with me he should not have which amounted to gossip. He was a pretty good preacher and I also edited his sermons and cut them to CD so I got to hear the message twice.

Did I mention he has a PhD? Yup one of those diploma mills. Most pastors are illiterate when it comes to biblical and church history. I was even offered the position of leading adult bible study based on my (then) knowledge but I declined as I knew I was on the pathway out of religion.

When it comes to the bible, ignorance is bliss and the fact that most do not read or study it in any detail outside of cherry picking the nice parts is par for the course and many folk assume the authority of the so called "man of god" as being legit.

When you have been involved and up close to the leadership like I was, you see a whole different picture to the one put on for the benefit of congregants on a Sunday morning.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,636,802 times
Quote:
If you look back, I did ask you what you had freely received that you are freely given( meant to have said giving).
I just answered it as asked.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31740340-post32.html

Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM

5,147 posts, read 2,534,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever tried to tell a preacher that you thought he misunderstood something from the Bible?
The priest drew me a picture of a cloverleaf and he said take one of the peddles off of the cloverleaf and it no longer is a cloverleaf. I was rendered speechless. He looked at me and said that he could see he was not getting through to me.
End of conversation.

A friend said her preacher said the trinity is like a egg with 3 parts. She said she begged to differ because an egg has a yellow and a white, and besides the shell it has a white membrane. He replied to her that she did not have to get technical about it.
Now what Scripture mentions the cloverleaf or mentions the egg illustration ?

At funeral talks I take notes, and then write my questions to the minister giving the funeral talk.
I wonder why after so many letters I have yet to ever get even one reply to my questions.
It's not like I write a lengthy letter, or ask a lot of questions, and I do praise what I liked about the discourse.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM

20,421 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Have You Ever Told A Preacher You Thought Him Wrong?

Usually, they will explain, defend or justify their position. Seldom, do they admit being in error:

"Preachers, cannot comprehend the existence of their errors; when to deeply immersed in them."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity