Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Many Pastors come out of Bible Colleges and Seminaries with doctrinal biases that they overcome as they grow in the Word. If you are a Methodist pastor that now believes in eternal security, or a Baptist Pastor that knows the wine in the Bible was not grape juice, etc.,what do you do? You need the pay check and you really want to minister to your congregation, so do you keep teaching what you believe is incorrect but what your denomination demands of you? Or do you resign? Pastor's responses especially welcomed.

It's telling that there has been no response to this post. Did I hit a nerve of conscience?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
I usually just leave because I'm not in the business of arguing with preachers and pastors that should read their Bibles and know better. I remember once our church had a guest pastor come and preach. He was a very young man. He was teaching false things such as to be saved you MUST be baptized in water. And I knew this was what he was saying because he kept putting an emphasis on being baptized and it not being enough to accept Christ. I couldn't believe it. I approached him after service and told him what about the thief on the cross and about how Jesus told him he would be in paradise with him. The guy just looked at me and completely ignored what I said and regurgitated the same mess he was preaching about having to be baptized in water. I was stunned to say the least. I couldn't believe he was a preacher in charge of saving souls.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever tried to tell a preacher that you thought he misunderstood something from the Bible?
Frequently.

I do not actively seek them out to do this but happenstance and circumstance have found me in situations where I could do so. Public debates, private debates, conversation and more.

How often I have actually changed their mind while doing so however is a different question. Rough estimate..... 5 to 10% of the time perhaps.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
No of offense to anyone however I did have an hour long discussion with the priest at our school. The essence of the discussion was that if one was to read the Bible and apply logic, that either Jesus was a bastard or that Mary committed adultery.

In the end the priest said to me one just had to have faith. I'm sure I didn't change his mind, nor he changed mine.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever tried to tell a preacher that you thought he misunderstood something from the Bible?

I have done this twice. I didn't try to force anything or argue, I just asked them about it and tried to show them where I thought they may have misunderstood.

This kind of thing will get you snubbed, not just from the preacher but from his wife. They were both preachers from the same church. The first preacher the church ended up letting go because he didn't practice what he preached. The next time they just avoided me and my questions until I finally left that church and now I attend another. The second time had to do with questions of the Trinity. Almost every church in my area holds VERY firm to the idea of the trinity--three Gods in one. When they preach they are very confusing about WHO is sovereign and tend to place a God above Jesus.

Yeshua Bless You
Yes of course because most preachers (or whatever you wish to call them) have the same tendency as everyone else: They misunderstand scripture, doctrine, etc. Sometimes they misunderstand quite spectacularly. I'm not talking about the grey areas or the unknowns, I'm talking about things that should be pretty obvious.

The time and place for that conversation is later on and when it's just the two of you talking. Publicly shaming a person for misunderstanding and mistakes isn't appropriate and accomplishes nothing useful. If the man of God in question can't handle criticism, he is not much of a man of God. And if he or she knows more than me, it will soon become quite apparent in said conversation.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
The Protestant Church of England do too. The truth of the matter is none of us have all the truth, even those who think they have. Most of what I considered truth 20 years ago, I count as nothing today. To me if those who are not ministering are not inspiring you to grow in the grace and knowledge of God, what is the point in even listening to them?. Instead we hear the same old same thing week in week out of dogmatic teachings which if anything is what is wrong, whether it is gleaned from the bible or not.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-14-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's exactly the church I was in. Very nice people. But false theology.
By definition all theology has to be false. No one can know God.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
You made the claim. It's not up to me to try to prove or disprove you.
Having said that, the webpage you listed doesn't give us a list. Please give me a list...or we will have to conclude that you are lying. I wouldn't want to call you a liar...that would be a rules violation.
No I simply reported the claim and pointed you to legitimate scholars who make the claim. If you dispute them show them your scholarly research that refutes them. That is how scholarship works. You make bald assertions with no support whatsoever and when called on them you duck and hide. Those are the behaviors associated with liars and frauds.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No I simply reported the claim and pointed you to legitimate scholars who make the claim. If you dispute them show them your scholarly research that refutes them. That is how scholarship works. You make bald assertions with no support whatsoever and when called on them you duck and hide. Those are the behaviors associated with liars and frauds.
Actually...you really DID make that claim. Here, I've quoted you:

Quote:
Julian658,
The tremendous divisions (30-40,000+) of the Protestant reformation reveal the wisdom of the early church not allowing the unwashed masses (uneducated) to read the Bible itself. Its abuses of that policy are legion and inexcusable . . .
I'd sure like to see you either admit you were either mistaken, or back up your claim.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Quote:
Actually...you really DID make that claim. Here, I've quoted you:
I'd sure like to see you either admit you were either mistaken, or back up your claim.
I reported a commonly known scholarly evaluation of the number of Christian denominations, period. I do not have to be the source of every known fact that I report or use . . . but I do have to point you to sources that I am aware of, period. YOU are questioning the scholarly research. You have the burden to refute it. But you know all that. You are just distracting and evading from your own lack of knowledge of ancient idiom that you were called on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity