Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 AM

112 posts, read 117,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever tried to tell a preacher that you thought he misunderstood something from the Bible?

I have done this twice. I didn't try to force anything or argue, I just asked them about it and tried to show them where I thought they may have misunderstood.

This kind of thing will get you snubbed, not just from the preacher but from his wife. They were both preachers from the same church. The first preacher the church ended up letting go because he didn't practice what he preached. The next time they just avoided me and my questions until I finally left that church and now I attend another. The second time had to do with questions of the Trinity. Almost every church in my area holds VERY firm to the idea of the trinity--three Gods in one. When they preach they are very confusing about WHO is sovereign and tend to place a God above Jesus.

Yeshua Bless You

I have been out of the 'church' for more than 3.5 years now and I will NEVER step foot in one again, not even for a funeral or wedding.

'Church' is where Evil abides. Where the lies are told.

Every preacher lies.

This after more than 30 years in the pew of multiple denominations.

Study the scriptures, what is written is NOT what man teaches, not even close.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 AM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
The last thing I want to do is jump into the 33,000 denomination fray but it's one of those yes there is/no there isn't arguments. There are lists that go upwards into the 50,000 stratosphere. But, are they wholly accurate? Let's look worldwide at those who identify as Apostolic. Instead of their being one Apostolic church, and I'm not talking Catholic here, it is broken down into Philipino Apostolic, Korean Apostolic, Chinese Apostolic, etc., ad nauseum. Same with Charismatic, Full Gospel, Pentacostal, Orthodox and Independent This and Independent That. Many listed as separate denominations are not separate by belief, but by country and language spoken.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You made a claim and refused to support it. I repeat my question: Present your understanding of the idiom "in my name" as it was understood back then, Vizio. I'm still waiting.
Right after you give me the list I asked for.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Seriously, Vizio, what difference does it make if it is 30,000, 3,000 or even 300? The point is the disparity of opinion over the meaning of the "final authority."

Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Seriously, Vizio, what difference does it make if it is 30,000, 3,000 or even 300? The point is the disparity of opinion over the meaning of the "final authority."
Because most religions have variances. Heck, using the same standard to define a denomination, it has been said that there are a few thousand catholic denominations.

In any event, take a look at this message board. It's full of people claiming to be Christians that dont believe in the most basic tenets of the faith. It wouldn't be honest to say Christianty is false because people practice another religion they call Christianity.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Because most religions have variances. Heck, using the same standard to define a denomination, it has been said that there are a few thousand catholic denominations.

In any event, take a look at this message board. It's full of people claiming to be Christians that dont believe in the most basic tenets of the faith. It wouldn't be honest to say Christianty is false because people practice another religion they call Christianity.

And the point is that each of however many denomination there are claim to be "correct" based on their understanding of whatever standard they may use. Perhaps the problem is the standards used?

Old 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
I have been out of the 'church' for more than 3.5 years now and I will NEVER step foot in one again, not even for a funeral or wedding.

'Church' is where Evil abides. Where the lies are told.

Every preacher lies.

This after more than 30 years in the pew of multiple denominations.

Study the scriptures, what is written is NOT what man teaches, not even close.
If a hospital is to the ill as a church is to sinners.... do you expect sinlessness and purity within the body? A false and godless church would be perfect.... but they don't exist. You have given yourself a excuse not a reason.

Only a person without sin should have that expectation. I'm guessing... but your as fallible as I am.

Iron sharpens Iron... so one man sharpens another.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
You made a claim and refused to support it. I repeat my question: Present your understanding of the idiom "in my name" as it was understood back then, Vizio. I'm still waiting.
Quote:
Since I asked first . . . this reveals that your silly request for a list (which I believe someone else already provided) is just an evasion and distraction.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Since I asked first . . . this reveals that your silly request for a list (which I believe someone else already provided) is just an evasion and distraction.
I'm not sure how it's relevant. The "Mind of Christ" in that passage is not relevant to a discussion of the Trinity. You are ripping a verse out of context in order to try to make your case. I don't care to get into a side discussion and get lost on a bunny trail.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:29 PM

112 posts, read 117,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If a hospital is to the ill as a church is to sinners.... do you expect sinlessness and purity within the body? A false and godless church would be perfect.... but they don't exist. You have given yourself a excuse not a reason.

Only a person without sin should have that expectation. I'm guessing... but your as fallible as I am.

Iron sharpens Iron... so one man sharpens another.

What does the church teach with regard to Adam and Eve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity