U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Jesus a Carpenter or Not?
Yes 7 77.78%
No 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM

21,807 posts, read 16,674,400 times

Advertisements

According to Justin Martyr, Jesus was known as a maker of ploughs and yokes.
Justin Martyr: Dialogue with Trypho

CHAPTER LXXXVIII -- CHRIST HAS NOT RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT ON ACCOUNT OF POVERTY.

And when Jesus came to the Jordan, He was considered to be the son of Joseph the carpenter; and He appeared without comeliness, as the Scriptures declared; and He was deemed a carpenter (for He was in the habit of working as a carpenter when among men, making ploughs and yokes; by which He taught the symbols of righteousness and an active life); but then the Holy Ghost, and for man's sake, as I formerly stated, lighted on Him in the form of a dove, and there came at the same instant from the heavens a voice, which was uttered also by David when he spoke, personating Christ, what the Father would say to Him: 'Thou art My Son: this day have I begotten Thee;' [the Father] saying that His generation would take place for men, at the time when they would become acquainted with Him: 'Thou art My Son; this day have I begotten thee.' "

Saint Justin Martyr: Dialogue with Trypho (Roberts-Donaldson)
As for the question of Jesus being a priest, He is Designated by God the Father as our great high priest according to the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 4:14-5:10). Because every Church age believer is in union with Christ, every believer is a priest (1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:6; 5:10). This is one of the distinctions between the dispensation of Israel where one had to be from the tribe of Levi to be a priest, whereas in the Church age every believer is a priest. I don't want to draw the thread off topic with my reference to dispensations, but I considered it part of the answer concerning Jesus being our great high priest.

Last edited by Mike555; 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM

9,751 posts, read 6,721,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

CHAPTER LXXXVIII -- CHRIST HAS NOT RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT ON ACCOUNT OF POVERTY.

And when Jesus came to the Jordan, He was considered to be the son of Joseph the carpenter; and He appeared without comeliness, as the Scriptures declared; and He was deemed a carpenter (for He was in the habit of working as a carpenter when among men, making ploughs and yokes; by which He taught the symbols of righteousness and an active life); but then the Holy Ghost, and for man's sake, as I formerly stated, lighted on Him in the form of a dove, and there came at the same instant from the heavens a voice, which was uttered also by David when he spoke, personating Christ, what the Father would say to Him: 'Thou art My Son: this day have I begotten Thee;' [the Father] saying that His generation would take place for men, at the time when they would become acquainted with Him: 'Thou art My Son; this day have I begotten thee.' "

As for the question of Jesus being a priest, He is Designated by God the Father as our great high priest according to the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 4:14-5:10). Because every Church age believer is in union with Christ, every believer is a priest (1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:6; 5:10). This is one of the distinctions between the dispensation of Israel where one had to be from the tribe of Levi to be a priest, whereas in the Church age every believer is a priest.
Great post.

There is more to Jesus than just the NT.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,015,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How is it relevant? The Gospels record what they wanted....they are not necessarily a history of his entire life. A story of him making a table apparently wasn't important to the message.
It is relevant to show that a person can live a Holy life in an ordinary role in life.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 PM

400 posts, read 452,179 times
Quote:
As for the question of Jesus being a priest, He is Designated by God the Father as our great high priest according to the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 4:14-5:10). Because every Church age believer is in union with Christ, every believer is a priest (1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:6; 5:10). This is one of the distinctions between the dispensation of Israel where one had to be from the tribe of Levi to be a priest, whereas in the Church age every believer is a priest.
Mike, I usually agree with you and this is no exception. Maybe I'm reading more into the OP's question about whether Jesus was a priest or a carpenter and your answer than need be. I have been taught Jesus commenced as our great high priest when He was resurrected. Not during his earthly life. Verses in Psalms and Hebrews are generally used to confirm this. Hebrews 8:4 Now, if he were on earth, he would not be a priest since there are already priests who offer the gifts prescribed by the law.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,621,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
It is relevant to show that a person can live a Holy life in an ordinary role in life.
If there was a Gospel written with that focus, ok...but the Gospels were written to present him as the Messiah, not show how to live a holy life.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM

21,807 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Mike, I usually agree with you and this is no exception. Maybe I'm reading more into the OP's question about whether Jesus was a priest or a carpenter and your answer than need be. I have been taught Jesus commenced as our great high priest when He was resurrected. Not during his earthly life. Verses in Psalms and Hebrews are generally used to confirm this. Hebrews 8:4 Now, if he were on earth, he would not be a priest since there are already priests who offer the gifts prescribed by the law.
You're right of course. It didn't even occur to me to point that out. I suppose I just wanted to bring up the fact that He is our great high priest and that we are priests. Jesus' high-priestly ministry is a heavenly one rather than an earthly one and is being exercised in the heavenly sanctuary of which the earthly one was just a replica. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,079 times
Quote:
You're right of course. It didn't even occur to me to point that out. I suppose I just wanted to bring up the fact that He is our great high priest and that we are priests. Jesus' high-priestly ministry is a heavenly one rather than an earthly one and is being exercised in the heavenly sanctuary of which the earthly one was just a replica. Thanks for pointing that out.
So true. We are priest. he is the High Priest. but one day, He will no longer fulfill that role. He will give it up when a priest is no longer needed. Once he places that last enemy under his feet and gives the Kingdom to the Father. What a great time that will be.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,896,258 times
Quote:

As for the question of Jesus being a priest, He is Designated by God the Father as our great high priest according to the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 4:14-5:10). Because every Church age believer is in union with Christ, every believer is a priest (1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:6; 5:10). This is one of the distinctions between the dispensation of Israel where one had to be from the tribe of Levi to be a priest, whereas in the Church age every believer is a priest. I don't want to draw the thread off topic with my reference to dispensations, but I considered it part of the answer concerning Jesus being our great high priest.
mike555, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the koine word is "techton" an artisan, a worker skilled in stone and wood. NOT someone who swung a hammer. And in the longstanding Jewish tradition, Jesus was WELL educated. He was familiar not only with the written word, but with the oral tradition of the Pharisees as well. How many times did He say "You have heard it said.... but I say to you" ???

The problem is seeing things from our contemporary perspective, not looking to the original language and culture. Today we have an image of "carpenter" and we dont understand the original word "techton".

Happy to hear your own thoughts.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,896,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Matthew 13:55
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses,[a] Simon, and Judas?

Mark 6:3
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.

Why are there no scriptural examples of him ever making anything or any verses describing his daily line of work?

So which is it, was he a carpenter, or just the son of a Carpenter, or was he a priest?
Jesus was a "techton", an artisan skilled in works of stone and wood.

No way to prove it it, but speculation is that Jesus and His father Joseph, and some of his brothers may have worked building the city of (sorry - cannot remember the name - was a 1 hour walk from Nazareth). (Even further speculation is that the Centurion who talked about understanding command and authority may have known of Jesus because both were in that city at the same time)

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 AM

18 posts, read 10,097 times
Jesus' adopted father Joseph was a "Teckton" (Matthew 13:55 & Mark 6:3).
The Greek word Teckton means builder. Now, some say he worked with wood; building tools, doors, shelves, tables etc. = carpenter.
Others say because of the region and the resources were rock, and most everything was built from rock, then he built millstones,
winepresses, houses, etc. = stonemason.

There is no real evidence to clarify exactly what Joseph was a builder of, but all know that he was a Teckton = Builder.
Given that Israel's buildings were constructed of stones and rocks, Jesus likely worked as a stonemason rather than a carpenter.
He probably spent hours helping his father shape and cut stones.

Now, in the Jewish culture of that time (1st century) it was required of the father to teach the son their trade at age 12.
Joseph being very Jewish would have adhered to this practice and began teaching Jesus at 12 his trade of being a builder (Teckton).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or