Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM

112 posts, read 117,654 times

Advertisements

Luke 13:25
Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.' "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM

112 posts, read 117,654 times
Matthew 7

A Tree and its Fruit
22]"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23["And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Nope.

It is written-

Matthew 7:14
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Quote:
Luke 13
The Narrow Gate
And He was passing through from one city and village to another, teaching, and proceeding on His way to Jerusalem. 23 And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them, 24,"Strive to enter through the narrow door(gate!); for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.…
You were correct when you said "gate", but the translaters are wrong when they call it "door" (the KJV is correct).

Gate represents judgment in Hebrew culture, so He is saying that you will struggle and fail when trying to enter through the law.

Door is, of course Christ - you can only enter through Him - He is the only way to the Father, and He came by grace...not the law.

Got it?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
The "New Commandment" is not "new" in the sense that it has not been given nin various forms before, It is the "New Commandment" in that it it THE basis of the New Covenant as the "ten Commandments" were the basis of the "Old Covenant" of which the "New" is NOT "an extension," but a NEW way of relating to God and man based on the condition of the heart, not on the works that are required, but on the expression of the love that is the New Commandment in works of love.

This is basic.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Nope.

It is written-

Matthew 7:14
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
This is very true, few of us find the way of life so that we walk in all the fullness of God. Many choose the broad way of religion that believes man and God are separate,that God needs appeasing by a multitude of things,and can only relate to God from a distance. The narrow way of reality is that he is in us all, and there(within us),is where we can reach out and touch him,feel him and call out to him (they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us.Acts 17:27) and rediscover our origin, and in knowing this, to know that he is an ever present help in times of trouble, abundantly available in time of need, that we are completely provided with all that pertains to life and godliness to walk as he did in this world of frustration and vanity.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
I'm betting the thief on the cross had nothing more than a repentant heart and simply asked to be remembered.

Where's that law?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Only those that keep the law of the Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven.

It is written in the prophets;

"Blessed is he who's way is blameless who walks in the law of the Lord."

"My son don't forget my teaching, keep my commands in mind, for many days and years of life and peace they will bring you."

"The Lord redeems the lives of His servants, no one who takes refuge in Him incurs guilt."

Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Just a reminder: don't quote the OT as gospel, and even if Jesus said it - it was before His death.

As an example: he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. (Luke 12:9)

So, we know by heart that if we deny Him, He will deny us, right? WRONG.

After Calvary, everything changed. Peter had denied Him three times, but Jesus won him back by enforcing His love three times.

That's what I mean by the fact that law is so engrained in our hearts and minds that we miss the grace aspect.

Edit: I'm aware I went out on a limb there, but the point remains: examine scripture with a grace mentality, and let the culture of the times, the covenant under which it was given, and to whom it was spoken all be a consideration.

Last edited by little elmer; 10-12-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 01:21 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
The righteous walk in the law of the Lord and the upright keep His commandments.

As the Son of man says;

"In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets."

In other words tell others the word of God which comes from the prophets of the Lord and is the law of the Lord. The word of God is everything as He said ; In everything do to others as you would have them do to you.

In other words as it is written; worship the Father in spirit and in truth.

"Speak the truth to one another , judge righteously, and let honesty and peace be at your gates."

Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 PM

670 posts, read 814,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The law came through Moses, but the truth came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:17)

This is my beloved Son: hear Him (not Moses/law, not Elijah/prophets). (Luke 9:35)

I don't like to just "throw out" books of the Bible I don't like (Azrael17), but even if you discount Romans you can see that the Mosaic/Levitical law was based on our performance, and the Melchizedek order is based on His work - if we want to keep the old covenant, what do you do with the crucified Christ?

What'd He die for?

Christianity in its purest form is this: believing that God sent His Son to be a sacrifice/substitute for our death as payment for sin, and our life as we are adopted into God's fold - graphed into the vine. But if we continue to base our relationship with God on our performance, then a) we are judged according to the Law, and b) we deny God's greatest gift and exhibition of love at the Cross.

You can't live under both covenants, it's either law or grace; but somehow we've continued in law and sprinkled a little grace with it - you can't do that, Jesus said it many times - the old will spoil the New.
My theological beliefs are drastically different than most Christians,
but I still consider myself a Christian, because I believe Jesus was the Messiah and I strive to follow his teachings.

I do not believe in blood sacrifice as a means of atonement, therefore the death of Christ is not what saves us according to my beliefs, in my beliefs striving to be good with the proper intentions, and with the willingness to repent when we mess up is how we are saved.
I also differ on what I believe we are saved from, to me we are not saved from hell that does not exist in my beliefs, we are saved from contentious reincarnation or possible obliteration.
I believe Jesus was murdered unjustly, and that we are saved by following his teachings and trying to gain spiritual enlightenment.

Jesus could not have been a sacrifice.
"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." - Hosea 6:6
"No one can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for them." - Psalm 49:7
"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

We must walk the Narrow Way, the path of Life, if we wish to be saved.
"The way of life is this: first, you should love God, who made you; secondly, love your neighbor as yourself; and whatever things you do not desire to be done to you, do not do them to someone else." - The Didache

May love and peace be with you always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity