U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 PM

5,565 posts, read 9,335,462 times
Default The breaking of Jesus' legs

Recently wrapped up my reading of the Gospel of John...every new reading really brings more and more evidence to me of how descriptive the "disciple whom Jesus loved" was able to be in his eyewitness transcription.

One thing that I never took notice of before was the descriptoin of the two men that were crucified next to Jesus. It is often said that these men were robbers. However, a direct Greek translation is showing that these men were guerilla fighters.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Nonetheless, does anyone else find it interesting that the Roman soldiers broke the legs of the two men on the cross, but not Jesus? Since Jesus would be walking again after his death, I just wonder what that would have been like if they had broken his legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM

12,382 posts, read 14,669,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Recently wrapped up my reading of the Gospel of John...every new reading really brings more and more evidence to me of how descriptive the "disciple whom Jesus loved" was able to be in his eyewitness transcription.

One thing that I never took notice of before was the descriptoin of the two men that were crucified next to Jesus. It is often said that these men were robbers. However, a direct Greek translation is showing that these men were guerilla fighters.

Nonetheless, does anyone else find it interesting that the Roman soldiers broke the legs of the two men on the cross, but not Jesus? Since Jesus would be walking again after his death, I just wonder what that would have been like if they had broken his legs.
It was the custom then to hasten the death of the crucified by breaking their legs..It was preordained, through the prophets of the ot, that Jesus would have no broken bones..Jesus was resurrected in a perfect spiritual body as we will be, so it wouldn't have mattered what shape his physical body was in upon death..This, as usual, is just my humble opinion

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM

8,284 posts, read 10,746,558 times
Quote:
John's Gospel is my favorite of the four.

Quote:

I'm certainly no Biblical scholar, but I've heard before that the two men crucified with Jesus were both zealots (as was one of the disciples). They were basically "freedom fighters," dedicated to kicking the Romans out of the country.

Quote:
Crucifixion was actually a very scientific (and cruel) method of execution. Victims didn't die of blood loss. They basically suffocated. Because of the way victims were crucified, they had to lift themselves up to breathe. Once their arms got too tired, they had to lift up on their legs. If the Romans wanted to hasten death, they would break the victims' legs, making them suffocate. But they didn't do that to Jesus, because He was dead already.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 16,144,113 times
He "gave up the ghost."just after he said, "it is finished." It was customary to take the crucified down before sunset so that they would not be on the crosses for the Sabbath. There would have been no need to have broken his legs to hurry his death for He was already dead.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM

5,565 posts, read 9,335,462 times
Good points ya'll. For some reason, my old Catholic bible says the men were robbers. Whatever, it sure is a bad way to die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity