U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 AM

473 posts, read 616,899 times

Advertisements

Agree or disagree. Thanks

I would love to hear a preacher say---
" I baptize you son/daughter of Jesus Christ in the spirit of love/truth and wisdom to take up the burden of the cross in following the ways set forth by our God, this is a marriage between you and Christ consecrated on this day being born a new creation, willing to let your old ways die and your new ones begin." Amen

Yeshua Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,646,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post

" I baptize you son/daughter of Jesus Christ in the spirit of love/truth and wisdom to take up the burden of the cross in following the ways set forth by our God, this is a marriage between you and Christ consecrated on this day being born a new creation, willing to let your old ways die and your new ones begin." Amen

Yeshua Bless You
I'd love to see how you come to that conclusion. What texts do you base that on? I'm not aware of any passage in the Bible that the apostles used that sort of language when baptizing someone.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 AM

473 posts, read 616,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd love to see how you come to that conclusion. What texts do you base that on? I'm not aware of any passage in the Bible that the apostles used that sort of language when baptizing someone.

The only eternal marriage in the Bible is the spiritual marriage of the believer to Christ. Paul wrote to the Christians at Corinth: "I have espoused you to one husband [Christ], that I may present you [the Christians] as a chaste virgin to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:2). Paul also wrote in Romans 7:4 that Christians are to be "married to another, even to him [Christ] who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God."

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The only eternal marriage in the Bible is the spiritual marriage of the believer to Christ. Paul wrote to the Christians at Corinth: "I have espoused you to one husband [Christ], that I may present you [the Christians] as a chaste virgin to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:2). Paul also wrote in Romans 7:4 that Christians are to be "married to another, even to him [Christ] who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God."
The church is called the Bride of Christ. "that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless," (Eph. 5:27).

He is the head of the church "And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all," (Eph. 1:22-23).

I'm not sure it's really accurate to say that we are all married to Jesus--individually. As believers we are part of the Bride, but we are not each the Bride.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,877,342 times
I would love to see men take that role back from some preacher. It is my duty, not some pastor who doesn't even know my kids, to baptize my kids. If you are a single mom, then you can do it. No need to do it at some church. Go to the lake, beach, river etc. but take that authority back. You are the priest of your home.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I would love to see men take that role back from some preacher. It is my duty, not some pastor who doesn't even know my kids, to baptize my kids. If you are a single mom, then you can do it. No need to do it at some church. Go to the lake, beach, river etc. but take that authority back. You are the priest of your home.
No argument there. I had the privilege of baptizing my kids. The church I was an intern in had me do it. They usually ask Dad step into the tank with the pastor and baptize the kids.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,750,565 times
Quote:
No argument there. I had the privilege of baptizing my kids. The church I was an intern in had me do it. They usually ask Dad step into the tank with the pastor and baptize the kids.
V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59

Incorporated into the Church, the Body of Christ

1267 Baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ.

1275 Christian initiation is accomplished by three sacraments together: Baptism which is the beginning of new life; Confirmation which is its strengthening; and the Eucharist which nourishes the disciple with Christ's Body and Blood for his transformation in Christ.

From the Catechism

Old 10-08-2013, 04:22 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,018,989 times
Quote:

Yeshua Bless You
That would be a very beautiful way to do it. We are the Bride of Christ both individually and corporately.
It is written, MT 13:52 "Then said He unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, which brings forth out of his treasure things new and old." Meaning, there are new ways to look at things just as lovely/valid as the old and often told truths.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59

Incorporated into the Church, the Body of Christ

1267 Baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ.

1275 Christian initiation is accomplished by three sacraments together: Baptism which is the beginning of new life; Confirmation which is its strengthening; and the Eucharist which nourishes the disciple with Christ's Body and Blood for his transformation in Christ.

From the Catechism
Catechism <> Bible

Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,750,565 times
Quote:
Catechism <> Bible
As you well know the church is guided by the Holy Spirit. The church has direction and authority. And the baptism in Protestant churches is quite valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity