U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,078 posts, read 34,359,223 times
Reputation: 10479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He doesn't really say "I desire that you freely give it". He was talking about the peace that we can have in knowing that he would be with us. He was saying he was going to go away--but that we shouldn't be troubled because he would send the Spirit. Yes--we can evangelize and help people to know him and to understand that peace...but he doesn't say we have the power to give peace.
Yes, exactly. The kind of peace He is talking about is not for us to give, because it comes from Christ. We can help people get in touch with the One who has the authority to give it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
 
Location: New England
32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I assume you're paraphrasing John 14:27?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. "

He doesn't really say "I desire that you freely give it". He was talking about the peace that we can have in knowing that he would be with us. He was saying he was going to go away--but that we shouldn't be troubled because he would send the Spirit. Yes--we can evangelize and help people to know him and to understand that peace...but he doesn't say we have the power to give peace.
Do you not understand that which is of God when rooted and established in becomes us ?, this is what Jesus meant when he said if you have seen me you have seen the Father, all that he is I am. We give of what we are. Do you think when the Gentiles are grafted into the olive tree that their identity is still gentile or does it bare the same image as the olive tree?. There is no everything will be alright when we get to heaven taught in your bible, scripture teaches as he is so are we in this world, that as we look unto Jesus Christ who is who we really are (not a man with a beard), and continually behold that image(not a man with a beard) we become what we really are. You say you have nothing to give, that is because you still believe you are separated(Auto suggestion said sedated before I spotted it,it probably it got it right)from God, you believe to give you have to get it first.

The prophet asked the widow what do you have in your house?, her provision and her ability to give was already in her house, all she had to do was pour it, she didn't know this, it took someone who does to show it her, thankfully she was open to it, rather her saying to the prophet that's not in the bible. Know you not you are the house of God and my provision for you and the world is within you?, freely you have received, freely give. I think that is in first pcamps chapter 3 verse 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,175,977 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think that is in first pcamps chapter 3 verse 1
One of my favorite epistles. "Clearly you are an epistle of Christ... written not with ink but by the spirit of the living God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: New England
32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
One of my favorite epistles. "Clearly you are an epistle of Christ... written not with ink but by the spirit of the living God."
Read and rejected by all fundamentalists and a good deal more. I don't blame them. because I make it up as I go along or I just say what comes into my inner man.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-09-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 PM
 
5,147 posts, read 2,533,544 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
One of my favorite epistles. "Clearly you are an epistle of Christ... written not with ink but by the spirit of the living God."
Interesting that in Scripture God's spirit and God's finger are used interchangeably.

At Exodus 31 v 18 B those stone tables were written with the finger of God.
At Luke 11 vs 13 B, 20 A, Jesus says to pray for God's spirit, and in verse 20 mentions the use by the finger of God whereas at Matthew 12 v 28 parallel account mentions not God's finger but God's spirit.
Thus as God's spirit was used in the writing of the stone tablets, 2nd Cor. 3 vs 2,3 mentions that we are letters [ epistles ] written in our hearts,.....written with the spirit [ finger ] of the living God; Not on stone tablets but on fleshly tablets of the heart.
Ezekiel 11 v 19 mentions God would put a new spirit within you.....not a stony heart....but give a heart of flesh.
Ezekiel 18 v 31 B mentions.... and make you a ' new heart and a new spirit '..... Ezekiel 36 vs 26,27 mentions a new heart...a new spirit...taking away the stony heart....and give a heart of flesh....putting God's spirit within you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think that is in first pcamps chapter 3 verse 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
One of my favorite epistles.

"Clearly you are an epistle of Christ ...written not with ink but by the spirit of the living God."
A messenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, exactly. The kind of peace He is talking about is not for us to give, because it comes from Christ. We can help people get in touch with the One who has the authority to give it.

"Out of your bellies shall flow rivers of living water......" Christ in you.............

Have you no living water to give, Finn? Don't you wish you did? It's real, but you have to believe it to manifest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can preach the Gospel, but the peace comes from God, not you.
Again I ask you Finn, do you have the life of Christ flowing from you to others? The peace that passes understanding? The grace that causes you to love every being God created? Jesus said we would do greater works than him. Perhaps by that he meant MORE - that we would be vessels through whom Christ would flow to a GREATER NUMBER of souls than those he personally touched while he was in a mortal body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,078 posts, read 34,359,223 times
Reputation: 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
"Out of your bellies shall flow rivers of living water......" Christ in you.............

Have you no living water to give, Finn? Don't you wish you did? It's real, but you have to believe it to manifest it.
Before you make the conversation about me, can you address the point I made: Do you agree, or disagree with what I said about the fruits of the Spirit originating from the Spirit? I ask, because you seem to be saying it does not originate from the Spirit, but from you.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-10-2013 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,078 posts, read 34,359,223 times
Reputation: 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Perhaps by that he meant MORE - that we would be vessels through whom Christ would flow to a GREATER NUMBER of souls than those he personally touched while he was in a mortal body.
That's what I said. We are the vessels, but we are not the originators of the fruits of the Spirit, or salvation. I have said several times already, we can help people connect with God, and through that connection people receive salvation and the fruits of the Spirit which are joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top