U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times

Advertisements

Ohio Court Rules Amish Girl With Leukemia Must Resume Chemotherapy Over Parents Wishes

The court ruling appointing a guardian reverses a lower court decision. Medina County Judge John Lohn had twice denied the limited medical guardianship request by Schimer.

The court ruled for the best interests of the child.

Some psychologists believe that religious fundamentalism, in some cases, is a mental illness. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:22 PM

3,151 posts, read 2,193,197 times
Good for the court.

I also disagree with religious fundamentalism.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM

8,102 posts, read 7,071,630 times
Of course religious fundamentalism with Christianity is Not mental illness, were mental disorder is atheism ............ Sure if a child under the protection of parents who are Christian is physically ill then the grace of God through Lord Jesus is in lacks , and if the child does not receive a healing from Lord Jesus , In a timely manor then the Doctors should be called and do the best that they can .......... See like the child is ill if leukemia which is under the Spiritual authority of Gland disruptor demons , as the blood is ill and blood transfusions should be done , If Jesus was protecting the child then leukemia would not be there , no matter if Jesus is capable to heal the body of the child , as the faith to receive healing from Jesus is lack .... I believe that both faith and expectation in the grace of God through Lord Jesus, and Doctors are needed is the best guarantee for success

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Of course religious fundamentalism with Christianity is Not mental illness, were mental disorder is atheism ............ Sure if a child under the protection of parents who are Christian is physically ill then the grace of God through Lord Jesus is in lacks , and if the child does not receive a healing from Lord Jesus , In a timely manor then the Doctors should be called and do the best that they can .......... See like the child is ill if leukemia which is under the Spiritual authority of Gland disruptor demons , as the blood is ill and blood transfusions should be done , If Jesus was protecting the child then leukemia would not be there , no matter if Jesus is capable to heal the body of the child , as the faith to receive healing from Jesus is lack .... I believe that both faith and expectation in the grace of God through Lord Jesus, and Doctors are needed is the best guarantee for success

You prove my point exactly. Thank you for the post.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,035,708 times
As a parent, I do not even understand how some people decline to do everything possible for their child.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
As a parent, I do not even understand how some people decline to do everything possible for their child.
Yes. I think that's where it becomes a mental problem. Talk about a crime against nature . . .

I also think that our civilization is moving in a certain direction and there is emerging a wider and wider gap between fundamentalists and the world that most dwell in. Most fundamentalism is frozen in time a long while ago. Often the Orthodox of whatever religion are really curious about the outside world.

It really upsets me to see such groups limiting the education of their children making it so hard for them to survive outside of their group. Some home schooling advocates seem to be treating their children as captives and I guess they are.

It seems to me, if their life is so good, they would not fear so much their children choosing to leave.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,429,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ohio Court Rules Amish Girl With Leukemia Must Resume Chemotherapy Over Parents Wishes

The court ruling appointing a guardian reverses a lower court decision. Medina County Judge John Lohn had twice denied the limited medical guardianship request by Schimer.

The court ruled for the best interests of the child.

Some psychologists believe that religious fundamentalism, in some cases, is a mental illness. I agree.
Moderator cut: delete..how do you KNOW that's it's in the best interests of the child. Apparently the child is veeery sick after such treatment. Can the hospital (and courts) GUARANTEE that the chemo won't hasten the childs death? Can they guarantee that the child will live a long life afterwards? I doubt it. The parents should have the rights in this case to choose whatever treatment they want...it's THEIR child...if I were them I'd leave the country pronto. I don't consider religious fundamentalism to have anything to do with these parents making their own informed choice on what they feel is best for their child..I consider it a kind of social mental illness that it's seen as OK to dictate what kind of treatment someone WILL have...whether they like it or not.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-09-2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,894,419 times
I've seen miracles where they were needed, and also when those prayers went unanswered.

Tough choice, when your allegiance is something the world around you doesn't understand. Blessed is he who's not offended...

Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM

668 posts, read 570,740 times
While I do not agree with not using the medical treatment that God has given to man, I also agree that the parents did nothing wrong. They have every right to follow their religion in this country and if seeking medical treatment for their child violates that religion they have every right to refuse and no crime is committed. The State (society) has a responsibility to step in in such cases and temporarily take custody of the child and order the treatment and afterwards return the custody to the parents who have done no wrong. It's been going on in this country for a long, long time. Everyone has done the right thing is sounds like in this case.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM

25,803 posts, read 13,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
...snip....

As do I, wholeheartedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or