U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM

25,904 posts, read 13,463,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How would you know what is true? What is your standard of truth?
I'd start with the opposite of what you believe - that would put me on the right track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,653,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'd start with the opposite of what you believe - that would put me on the right track.
Your silly ad hominems aside, how do you know what is right and true? What tells you that what you believe is correct? How do you know I'm wrong?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Your silly ad hominems aside, how do you know what is right and true? What tells you that what you believe is correct? How do you know I'm wrong?
We've danced to this tune before, Vizio - and you ain't got rhythm.

I'm not going to answer your questions just to have you ignore/misunderstand/pretend to misunderstand the answers.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM

11,273 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
In our world only the Holy Spirit or demons can speak to us. When people believe the dead spirits are around us, they are wrong, they are in Heaven or in the earth in spiritual places. They cannot speak to us, only when God makes it possible, that would be the exception. But the devil can also come as a familiar spirit and deceive us.
This is quite easily disproved. No demon can possible be in the presence of Jesus' name. We all know that. This video proves it.

Man Possessed By Gay Demon WTF! - YouTube

Ok, just kidding--I love that video. Academy award-winning performance.

Seriously,

Quote:
Those on the Next Plane of Life Have Great Reverence for Jesus

24 Mark 3:24-26 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come.

The most compelling reason we know those in the afterlife are our loved ones, not demons, and want to communicate to help us grow spiritually, is the fact that they all speak with great reverence about Jesus. They might have harsh words for the church, but only because it doesn't represent Jesus' spiritual teachings as well as they would wish.

Many who come through in seances are theologians, ministers, priests, brothers, deans, and bishops. They all acknowledge the primacy of Jesus' teachings for humanity, and encourage us to follow his teachings and model. They explain that they are choosing to communicate through mediums in order to help humanity grow spiritually to realize Jesus' model. They emphasize the need for peace, brotherhood, and universal, unconditional love among all men, without regard for race or creed.
Now if these so-called demons are speaking Jesus' name and with great reverence and even adoration in some cases how can they possibly be demons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We've danced to this tune before, Vizio - and you ain't got rhythm.

I'm not going to answer your questions just to have you ignore/misunderstand/pretend to misunderstand the answers.
You really haven't been able to tell me why I should believe you over anything else. Once you give up an objective standard, it's a free-for-all. You have no argument.

241 posts, read 207,513 times
The Vatican for the last 50yrs has been condoning behaviors that go against the traditional christian beliefs. The Vatican is so corrupted and this latest blasphemy is no exception. You can still be a catholic and not take instruction from the Vatican, there are plenty of catholic churches that have nothing to do with the Vatican and for good reason

Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
You really haven't been able to tell me why I should believe you over anything else. Once you give up an objective standard, it's a free-for-all. You have no argument.
So you like to...think.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM

9,886 posts, read 6,754,693 times
Quote:
Nonsense. The NT church didn't believe in the heresies of praying to the dead, the sacrifice of the mass, and many of the other issues the Catholic church does.
The Protestant service is often modeled after the mass. You also stated you have communion once a month. The Catholic mass does it daily.

Luke 22:19
New International Version (NIV)
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Quote:
He deserves prayer because he's worthy of being worshiped. God demands it. It's why the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy were written--he's very particular in the way we worship.

Jesus encouraged breaking bread for worship. But, this is done for the benefit of us and not God.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Protestant service is often modeled after the mass. You also stated you have communion once a month. The Catholic mass does it daily.

Luke 22:19
New International Version (NIV)
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Jesus encouraged breaking bread for worship. But, this is done for the benefit of us and not God.
But Jesus was not present in the bread, nor did he tell us he had to be re-sacrificed....err....re-presented daily. Yes--we should partake of the Lord's Supper. By doing so we are declaring his death, burial and resurrection...but he is not physically present in that bread.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM

21,949 posts, read 16,744,092 times
God has expressly forbidden attempts to communicate with the dead. The Bible records only one instance in which God did cause it to happen, much to the surprise of the medium who was involved, and that has to do with king Saul and the witch of Endor (1 Samuel 28). The medium was in cahoots with demonic spirits and deceived people who sought to communicate with the dead. She did this for profit. The demonic spirit would imitate the person with which contact was being sought. Since God would no longer communicate with Saul because of his disobedience, Saul sought to communicate with the dead prophet Samuel. The witch of Endor went into her usual act. But God intervened and actually brought up the spirit of Samuel who was not pleased about being disturbed in having been brought up (1 Samuel 28:15).

In answer to the question that some may ask, 'Does God authorize attempts to communicate with the dead? The answer given in His Word is 'NO!!!" King Saul was not authorized to try to contact Samuel.
Leviticus 19:31 'Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 20:6 As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.

Leviticus 20: 27 'Now a man or a woman who is a medium or a spiritist shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Deuteronomy 18:9 When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. 10] ''There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11] or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

Isaiah 8:19 When they say to you, "Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter," should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the dead on behalf of the living?
It is not proper to say that the prohibition against attempts to communicate with the dead was confined to the Mosaic Law. Any such attempts lead to demonic influence.

In Acts 16, we are told of a girl who had a spirit of divination in her.
Acts 16:16 It happened that as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave-girl having a spirit of divination (puthón- python) met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17] Following after Paul and us, she kept crying out, saying, ''These men are bond-servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation.'' 18] She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out at that very moment. 19] But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the market place before the authorities.
The concept of spirit of puthón - of python goes back to the Greek city of Delphi where the god Apollo was believed to be embodied in a python snake. Anyone who was possessed by the python spirit could foretell coming events. In reality however, real demons gave them this ability.

Paul ordered the demon to come out of her, which it did.

People who attempt to communicate with the dead do so against God's stated will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity