Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,759,024 times

Advertisements

Will wonders never cease.

The RCC, one of the most conservative bastions of Christianity at one time is leaving the Protestant Fundamentalists in the dust as they modernize old outdated thinking on such matters as homosexuality and
(gasp) God-forbid.... communing with dead people.

Quote:
One of the most competent theologians of the Vatican, Father Gino Concetti, writing in the "Osservatore Romano", the daily paper of the Holy See, says that,

"According to the modern catechism the Church has decided not to forbid anymore to dialogue with the deceased ... this is as a sequel of new discoveries within the domain of the paranormal."
(December 1996)

Fr. Concetti said: "Communication is possible between those who live on this earth and those who live in a state of eternal repose, in heaven or purgatory. It may even be that God lets our loved ones send us messages to guide us at certain moments in our life." He added that the key to the Church's attitude was the Roman Catholic belief in a "Communion of Saints" which included Christians on earth as well as those in the afterlife. "Where there is communion, there is communication," he said.
Will wonders never cease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,086,021 times
They have endorsed praying to dead loved ones for centuries....this is just a logical development.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,975,006 times
I've never talked to departed loved ones, probably because I was raised to believe we can't or shouldn't. But I, frankly do not see any reason why one should not or cannot if they want to. However, I can see where it might get confusing if you "listen" to a dead person because I am not sure they can even communicate with us so I listen for the voice of God only.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,086,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I've never talked to departed loved ones, probably because I was raised to believe we can't or shouldn't. But I, frankly do not see any reason why one should not or cannot if they want to. However, I can see where it might get confusing if you "listen" to a dead person because I am not sure they can even communicate with us so I listen for the voice of God only.
The Bible condemning it is a big reason not to.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,975,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible condemning it is a big reason not to.
I knew this was coming. Can't you surprise me once in a while with something unexpected? The bible condemns liars too -- hypocrites too --- do any of us fall into that category? Yet the condemnation you speak of about talking to the dead is one big fundamentalist creation pulled from a story in the Old Testament. Aren't you at least going to pull the scriptures out for us that you are relying on?

The bible also condemns the eating of unclean meat.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,413,617 times
The church condemns the occult and trying to talk to the dead that way, I know that. You can to to www.catholic.com and do a search on the occult to find out what they think.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,759,024 times
If the Bible is so big on not communing with dead people then why didn't Jesus speak out against it? To the contrary, He Himself communed with dead people and told parables related to the topic.

The sole verse against communing with dead people in Leviticus is so outdated and so primitive that, by turn, it can be successfully argued, using the same set of statutes, that it is perfectly permissible to own slaves and to rape women because the Bible says it is okay.

So, Vizio. would you agree that because the Bible says young virgins can be taken as slaves, you would condone this practice?

Numbers 31:18 "Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

And the Lord only knows what those men did with those poor little girls.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If the Bible is so big on not communing with dead people then why didn't Jesus speak out against it? To the contrary, He Himself communed with dead people and told parables related to the topic.

The sole verse against communing with dead people in Leviticus is so outdated and so primitive that, by turn, it can be successfully argued, using the same set of statutes, that it is perfectly permissible to own slaves and to rape women because the Bible says it is okay.

So, Vizio. would you agree that because the Bible says young virgins can be taken as slaves, you would condone this practice?

Numbers 31:18 "Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

And the Lord only knows what those men did with those poor little girls.
There is a lot of sex, raping, murder and evil in the bible. It all depends on who is doing it and for what reason. Just because you see it in the bible does not mean it was condoned. Those men were probably killed themselves in the end.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 AM

Default I did the search for you---

Search | Catholic Answers

Many articles here about the occult if you want to know.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 824,546 times
Which human being would speak to someone in the air, when he is not present? The dead have left this material world and are in a different spiritual world, we can not go there in our earthly body nor can the spirits come to us.In our world only the Holy Spirit or demons can speak to us. When people believe the dead spirits are around us, they are wrong, they are in Heaven or in the earth in spiritual places. They cannot speak to us, only when God makes it possible, that would be the exception. But the devil can also come as a familiar spirit and deceive us. The best advise is to follow the bible which is a light to our path. Why should somebody be wise in his own eyes, but that is it today, every one thinks when my church or pastor says it, it must be O.K. Who is led by the Spirit of God? Who believes and does what the word of God says? Jesus made this very clear, if we want to contact Heaven, His name is the sip-code and the address is our Father in Heaven. Nothing in the bible says we should contact Mary, Saints or loved ones. God knows that this is dangerous and not possible. Salvation is faith in Christ, not any other source
(Act 4:12). If you have Catholic faith, what do the church fathers say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity