U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,627,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Vizio, are you married to a fleshly being that lived two thousand years ago or the invisible spirit of life, love, and breath that dwelt within Christ?
I'm married to a beautiful woman that bore our 2 daughters.

I'm a part of the Bride of Christ--which is the church. One day Christ will return for her (us). He is right now in heaven as a man, interceding for us as our high priest. He is not a Spirit, and he is not THE SPIRIT.
Quote:

That being dwells within all mankind--one spirit being that supplies our intelligence, life, etc. Have you ever had a direct answer from God and knew that He is real? I have--ONE GOD of spirit that dwells within. He is visible as His creations---us, but we are allowed our individuality/souls.---sons and daughters
Yeshua Bless You
Jesus (not Yeshua--never met that guy) said that when he left to go to Heaven he would send the Paraclete (the helper), or the Holy Spirit. Jesus does not live inside of you or me. We are indwelt with the Spirit. The Father, Son and the Spirit are all one God--but 3 persons. Each one of them can reason, they have a will, and they interract with each other. They are not separate Gods--but they are separate persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM

40,054 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm married to a beautiful woman that bore our 2 daughters.

I'm a part of the Bride of Christ--which is the church. One day Christ will return for her (us). He is right now in heaven as a man, interceding for us as our high priest. He is not a Spirit, and he is not THE SPIRIT.
The paraclete (intercessor/Comforter) is here with us within our minds and it IS the Holy Spirit of Christ (the "mind of Christ").

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The phrase in bold "in my name" (en muo onoma) belies your interpretation . . . assuming you have the knowledge to comprehend the idiom as it was used back then. It means exactly what you suggest it doesn't . . . as does:

2 Corinthians 3:17

17Now the Lord (Christ) is that Spirit (Holy Spirit): and where the Spirit of the Lord (Holy Spirit) is, there is liberty.

As does:

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him (Christ) abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

1 Corinthians 2:15-16 (King James Version)

15But He that is spiritual (Christ) judgeth all things, yet He Himself (Christ) is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The paraclete (intercessor/Comforter) is here with us within our minds and it IS the Holy Spirit of Christ (the "mind of Christ").
No. It is not the "mind of Christ". The Holy Spirit is a completely separate person. He is the 3rd person of the Godhead. One God, 3 persons.
Quote:

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The phrase in bold "in my name" (en muo onoma) belies your interpretation . . . assuming you have the knowledge to comprehend the idiom as it was used back then. It means exactly what you suggest it doesn't . . . as does:

2 Corinthians 3:17

17Now the Lord (Christ) is that Spirit (Holy Spirit): and where the Spirit of the Lord (Holy Spirit) is, there is liberty.

As does:

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him (Christ) abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

1 Corinthians 2:15-16 (King James Version)

15But He that is spiritual (Christ) judgeth all things, yet He Himself (Christ) is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
Again---it does not indicate that it's just Jesus' mind. The Spirit is a separate person, but the same God.

The problem is that you're taking some texts out of context to attempt to make your point.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM

8,036 posts, read 4,200,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever been told that you had misunderstood something in the Bible and you had to concede that, YES, I was wrong. I have and one of the times came from none other than a Jehovah's witness.
There is no trinity. --then we disagreed on His name.
One God who is all things--only one sovereignty. Jesus who is both visible and invisible and within.
The highly formalized, Athanasian Creed, "one substance" trinity is not explicitly Biblical but a more simplified trinity certainly is. Oh you don't have to call it "trinity" if you don't want. But there is God the Father, the Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. There are three, clearly. Extensive explanation about what they are like, especially the Holy Spirit, is sorely lacking in the Biblical record.

Biblically, there is just as much room for the JW binitarianism of Father and Son as there is for the formalized "one substance, one being" trinity. Both require generous amounts of extra-Biblical teaching and indoctrination to retroactively make them Biblical.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM

668 posts, read 570,740 times
I have always understood it (at least since I became a Christian) like this.

One God who has manifest Himself to us as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Being God, He is not limited to exist within the limits of our finite ability to understand.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
No. It is not the "mind of Christ". The Holy Spirit is a completely separate person. He is the 3rd person of the Godhead. One God, 3 persons.
Again---it does not indicate that it's just Jesus' mind. The Spirit is a separate person, but the same God.
The problem is that you're taking some texts out of context to attempt to make your point.
This is not a rebuttal . . . it is an evasion. Present your understanding of the idiom "in my name" as it was understood back then, Vizio. I repeat:

The phrase in bold "in my name" (en muo onoma) belies your interpretation . . . assuming you have the knowledge to comprehend the idiom as it was used back then. It means exactly what you suggest it doesn't in your trinity "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The highly formalized, Athanasian Creed, "one substance" trinity is not explicitly Biblical but a more simplified trinity certainly is. Oh you don't have to call it "trinity" if you don't want. But there is God the Father, the Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. There are three, clearly. Extensive explanation about what they are like, especially the Holy Spirit, is sorely lacking in the Biblical record.

Biblically, there is just as much room for the JW binitarianism of Father and Son as there is for the formalized "one substance, one being" trinity. Both require generous amounts of extra-Biblical teaching and indoctrination to retroactively make them Biblical.
There is plenty of Biblical support for the concept. All 3 are called God, and all 3 are able to think, reason, have a will, etc--everything a person can do. But, we know that there is only one God.

Here is a page that details it.

The Trinity is biblical | What is the trinity? | God is Trinity of Persons | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is not a rebuttal . . . it is an evasion. Present your understanding of the idiom "in my name" as it was understood back then, Vizio. I repeat:

The phrase in bold "in my name" (en muo onoma) belies your interpretation . . . assuming you have the knowledge to comprehend the idiom as it was used back then. It means exactly what you suggest it doesn't in your trinity "precepts and doctrines of men."
I'm not going to parse words with you. Sorry. I posted a link to a page fully explaining the Trinity just now. Check it out.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM

668 posts, read 570,740 times
Not everyone has the Holy Spirit according to Jesus. You cannot make the claim that the Holy Spirit is in "ALL" of us unless Jesus was wrong.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The "you" Jesus is referring to is only the believers, not All.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: edit what constitutes a person? . . . our consciousness. They can ONLY be ONE by having the same consciousness (mind). God is THE Spirit (Holy Spirit ) and Jesus is the Son of God who brought the mind of God (Holy Spirit) to His human consciousness (mind) . . . making it available to ALL human consciousness upon His death and rebirth as Spirit, period.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: edited remark "a silly statement" to poster you quoted as an insult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or