U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM

28,017 posts, read 15,105,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Scarlet kind of figured out just above your post where I was going. I find it interesting that there are all kinds of people that think Calvinism is evil, but they sure do pray like a Calvinist when they pray for a loved one to believe. If you truly believe that it's ONLY up to their free will.....why pray for them to believe?

Personally, I believe the Bible where it says that God moves the heart of man.

Prov 21:1 "The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will."

But that has no bearing on praying for someone to believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,061,095 times
I believe that God expects us to pray in behalf of unbelievers that they come to a true repentance, but we must know that each person has his free will and must make his own choice. We need to always pray that the will of the Lord be done. We know that 2 Peter 3: says [9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
We also know that Jesus said in Matt. Ch. 18 that there was more rejoicing in heaven over ONE sinner who repents than over 99 just persons who need no repentance.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 AM

7,378 posts, read 6,741,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I believe that God expects us to pray in behalf of unbelievers that they come to a true repentance, but we must know that each person has his free will and must make his own choice. We need to always pray that the will of the Lord be done. We know that 2 Peter 3: says [9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
We also know that Jesus said in Matt. Ch. 18 that there was more rejoicing in heaven over ONE sinner who repents than over 99 just persons who need no repentance.
I just happened to see this thread topic as I was skimming down the main page. Since it does refer to me in the title, it sparked my interest. Why would any one of your pray that "God's will" be done on anyone or anything, especially nonbelievers? Do you think that he would/could do anything else, other than his will? Besides, if you believe in him being tri-omni, why/how would he change his mind? So why pray for anything to be different or to change?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I just happened to see this thread topic as I was skimming down the main page. Since it does refer to me in the title, it sparked my interest. Why would any one of your pray that "God's will" be done on anyone or anything, especially nonbelievers? Do you think that he would/could do anything else, other than his will? Besides, if you believe in him being tri-omni, why/how would he change his mind? So why pray for anything to be different or to change?
Saint Augustine's mother reportedly prayed constantly that he would be converted from his open lascivous sexual practices. When he repented he became one of the most prominent church fathers, whose writings were quite popular with Martin Luther. Her prayers were an excellent example that bears out that God is not willing that one person would perish but that all should come to repentance [see 2 Peter, ch. 3.]

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM

6,438 posts, read 9,975,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you ask God to work in their hearts for them to believe?
Moderator cut: delete
Absolutely. I've been doing this since I was very young. Like middle school age. I prayed for my friends to find God. Many of whom are now Christians that I can confirm from facebook! I'm still shocked to this day how effective my prayers were. Some of them were so non-chalant at the time and my faith in people's ability to change was not very high. But my goodness did they work. And on the most unbelievable people you could imagine! Some of the people I prayed for I never thought would come to Christ! Just ANGRY people that hated Christians and God. But I have found the Bible verse "The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" come true in my life. And I don't call myself a righteous person. Just a praying person. An intercessor or what you want to call it. I have prayed hard for the people I felt were lost. Just regular people in my life and celebrities I have seen. And many have came to God. He is so great. I guess because I have prayed so much over the years my prayers have become extremely powerful. God comes for whoever I pray for. And I thank him so much because all I want is for people to find him and be saved like I was.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Saint Augustine's mother reportedly prayed constantly that he would be converted from his open lascivous sexual practices. When he repented he became one of the most prominent church fathers, whose writings were quite popular with Martin Luther. Her prayers were an excellent example that bears out that God is not willing that one person would perish but that all should come to repentance [see 2 Peter, ch. 3.]
I think you avoided the real question. Isn't everything that your God does, his will? Also, doesn't He know everything that is going to happen? If so, why do you think your prayers can cause him to change it.?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM

5,199 posts, read 2,547,776 times
Quote:
I think you avoided the real question. Isn't everything that your God does, his will? Also, doesn't He know everything that is going to happen? If so, why do you think your prayers can cause him to change it.?
Isn't it God's will that we all have free will ?_____ That means God does Not interfere with our free-will choices.

Sure, God does know the happy outcome of Revelation 22 v 2 that there will be healing or curing of earth's nations.
However, who will be part of the great crowd or multitude of Rev. 7 vs 9,10,14 remains to be seen.
The sheep and goats of Matthew 25 vs 31,32 are judged and separated on the basis of how they used their free will choices to treat Jesus' spiritual 'brothers' of verse 40.
When a person repents, doesn't God 'change his mind', so to speak, so that the person does not perish.-2nd Peter 3 v 9 ?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 AM

5,199 posts, read 2,547,776 times
Quote:
God's will [ purpose ] is that we are gifted by Him with free will. We are all created as free moral agents with with ability to use our own free will to make our own choices to obey or disobey, listen or not listen.

What does 1st Timothy 2 v 1 say but ' prayers ' be made for ALL sorts of men ?
Prayers even for kings [ rulers ] that we may lead a calm and quiet life - verse 2

Jesus' ransom covers MANY according to Matthew 20 v 28. Jesus' blood covers ALL. - 1st John 1 v 7
Although Jesus blood covers ALL, Not ALL will end up accepting Jesus that is why Jesus' ransom covers MANY not ALL.
As to who will be part of the MANY is up to each of us to repent or not. - 2nd Peter 3 v 9
God's will is that we all should repent, but God forces No one to repent. We make ourselves to be either sheep or goats. -Matthew 25 vs 31,32,40.

- Deuteronomy 30 v 19; 32 v 5

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
God's will [ purpose ] is that we are gifted by Him with free will. We are all created as free moral agents with with ability to use our own free will to make our own choices to obey or disobey, listen or not listen.

Prayers even for kings [ rulers ] that we may lead a calm and quiet life - verse 2

Jesus' ransom covers MANY according to Matthew 20 v 28. Jesus' blood covers ALL. - 1st John 1 v 7
Although Jesus blood covers ALL, Not ALL will end up accepting Jesus that is why Jesus' ransom covers MANY not ALL.
As to who will be part of the MANY is up to each of us to repent or not. - 2nd Peter 3 v 9
God's will is that we all should repent, but God forces No one to repent. We make ourselves to be either sheep or goats. -Matthew 25 vs 31,32,40.

Why does every legitimate question asked of Christians become a sermon?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

Great post'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or