Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Actually, Vizio, I was being very generous.

List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But this is beside the point. What I was trying to establish is that if the Bible is the go-to book--the one that purportedly contains all the answers to questions anyone who wanted to become a Christian would ask, then why the overwhelming differences in doctrine that such an astonishing number of different sects within Christianity that uses that one official text, the "Bible", if you will, could come into existence?

My question has more to do with the assumption that any sincere person who earnestly desired to know the truth would be given the truth as it is written in the Bible

So here we have God's conditional promise that He will give us wisdom to know what the truth is. Consequently there would be no extreme differences of opinion on such matters as eternal destiny (ET vs UR vs annihilation), or OSAS vs losing salvation, or faith alone vs faith plus works vs work w/o faith, or TULIP vs TUIP vs TULLIP. These are just a sprinkle of the tons of differences between each of these 41,000 Christian sects.

So what gives, Vizio? Where does the Bible fail? Or does it? And if it doesn't, why the discrepancies?

As to the second part of your question, I reiterate "no faith on earth has the number of varieties that Christianity does--not even close". I am not a non-Christian. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and that He died to free me from the consequences of my sin, as he frees everyone. So I am not asking this question as a challenge to Christianity and Jesus. But I do ask as to the claim that the Bible is so inerrant and so perfectly God's voice to us that it cannot possibly fail to give correct answers to anything anyone can ask.
I didnt count the denominations and other religions on that page, but there wasnt anywhere close to that many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Differences between Semi-Pelagianism and Arminian Beliefs

Here's a good article..

Correct doctrine eliminates boasting.. nothing "I" have done got me saved.. So the Calvanistic doctrine of Monergism must be correct.
By me, boasting of our part in salvation would be like a person overboard in a stormy sea who is thrown a life fing and pulled in saying, "WOW! Did you see the way I hung onto that life ring? Wasn't I great?"

Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Just goes to show you that the Holy Book is just a pile of ambiguity derived from redaction and human ignorance.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Hey Thrillobyte, here are some thoughts on predestination from early in church history.
A veritable "grab-bag" of dogmas with the emphasis on "dog". Pick your poison. But what if you pick the wrong one? Stoke the furnaces.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM

400 posts, read 601,562 times
Quote:
Doesn't anybody find it strange that Christianity is the only religion on earth that is made up of over 30,000 different varieties of beliefs? I find that utterly astonishing and I know I shouldn't, given how totally corrupted the modern Bible has become. Nobody can agree on anything when supposedly all the answers to your questions are lying right there in that book waiting to be answered. Just depends on who's doing the asking and what answer they want to be given them.
I think we could whittle that number down a bit, but that's another topic. There really aren't 30,000 different beliefs, but instead many different subdivisions of theologically biblical interpretation conclusions. I don't think any of the great theologians journeyed out on the premise of making The Bible fit their preconcieved interpretations, but instead searched The Bible and developed their interpretations. Humans are imperfect and not beyond the pitfalls belying man. I disagree that "nobody can agree on anything." The main theological considerations are pretty much the same across the board, except for perhaps some whacked out thinkings no one credits anyway, such as the 24 Hour Church of Elvis. It's the interpretation of these theological considerations that cause division and confusion for the rank and file Christian trying to make sense of it all.

Quote:
A veritable "grab-bag" of dogmas with the emphasis on "dog". Pick your poison. But what if you pick the wrong one? Stoke the furnaces.
Thrillobyte, it's not a matter of choosing the right one or the wrong one in regards to predestination. I seriously doubt, and don't think anyone is suggesting, that God is going to pull the lever and send someone to Hell for choosing door number one over door number three. Man is by nature competitive. No one wants to be on the "losing team." We tend to puff up and blow a lot of hot air trying to make our choice the right one. Regardless your disdain for "dogma" you must have some predestination proclivity, even "none of the above" is something.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
I think we could whittle that number down a bit, but that's another topic. There really aren't 30,000 different beliefs, but instead many different subdivisions of theologically biblical interpretation conclusions. I don't think any of the great theologians journeyed out on the premise of making The Bible fit their preconcieved interpretations, but instead searched The Bible and developed their interpretations. Humans are imperfect and not beyond the pitfalls belying man. I disagree that "nobody can agree on anything." The main theological considerations are pretty much the same across the board, except for perhaps some whacked out thinkings no one credits anyway, such as the 24 Hour Church of Elvis. It's the interpretation of these theological considerations that cause division and confusion for the rank and file Christian trying to make sense of it all.

Thrillobyte, it's not a matter of choosing the right one or the wrong one in regards to predestination. I seriously doubt, and don't think anyone is suggesting, that God is going to pull the lever and send someone to Hell for choosing door number one over door number three. Man is by nature competitive. No one wants to be on the "losing team." We tend to puff up and blow a lot of hot air trying to make our choice the right one. Regardless your disdain for "dogma" you must have some predestination proclivity, even "none of the above" is something.
Dogma, by its very nature, is rigid, inflexible and totally closed to any kind of interpretation--said interpretation which, while worthy of consideration, is to be shunned, ignored and even labeled heretical if it poses the slightest threat to our religious hierarchy and its tyrannical control over how men think.

Have I defined fundamentalism fairly accurately? And this applies not just to Christian fundamentalism but to Islamic fundamentalism as well and just about any powerful institution based on ideology and principles rather than simple truth.

You sense my disdain for dogma and you're right. When it attempts to cover over truth with its version of what truth should be--and nine out of ten times a powerful institution's idea of truth in the final analysis is whatever most benefits it, not people--then, yeah, I find myself totally disdainful of dogma.

I thought of Matthew 25:31-32 the other day and puzzled over it.

Quote:
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats”
I puzzled over the bolded word, "nations" because right away we are presented with a dilemma. When Jesus spoke this--if indeed He did speak this--what on earth could He have meant:

1. nations are inanimate, non-tangible objects like air, or ideas, or even music and literature. Or it could be argued nations are just real estate. Is Jesus saying that the tens of thousands of pieces of real estate that have existed down through the ages will be gathered before Him?
2. nations are run by presidents, kings, dictators, heads of states, parliaments, etc. Is Jesus saying that the tens of thousands of rulers that have ruled over these tens of thousands of pieces of real estate down through the ages will be gathered before Him?
3. nations are made up of people living within their borders. Is Jesus saying that the tens of billions of people who lived under these tens of thousands of rulers that have ruled over these tens of thousands of pieces of real estate down through the ages will be gathered before Him?

If I asked this question to those 30,000+ denominations (it was later established that there is more like 40,000+ denominations of Christianity) I wonder what variety of answers I would be given. Certainly all three, depending their particular religious "dogma" and probably several I didn't even think of that were more esoteric in nature.

If someone doesn't see a problem in the example I have presented in Matthew 25:31-32 then they are likely a victim (or willing captive) of religious dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity