Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM

400 posts, read 601,671 times

Advertisements

This is a question I've had for some time and have never been able to come to a conclusion. Which form of death would be worse, being crucified or being burned at the stake? Or, is there a worse method? Hopefully, none of will ever find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM

112 posts, read 117,687 times
Those who would persecute me will go down with me, I worry not, one way or the other.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Which form of death would be worse, being crucified or being burned at the stake?
We can only speculate, but “Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering” so He could tell you about it. But because of His love for us, He would spare you the details.

The Romans were sick – they would devise many different methods of torture; but one interesting fact: Pontius Pilate(who presided over the trial of Jesus) was said to be so wicked that he was removed from power a few years later because of his ruthlessness.

Yet he found no fault in Him. Seems that the cross was His destiny, huh?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
All the martyrs who died on the cross and those who were burned at the stake never saved a single soul for Christ except the sacrifice of Lord Jesus , and the blood the martyrs lost could mean nothing and did not change anything , except the sacrifice of Lord Jesus Christ who was the only begotten son of God and died a innocent man , as God rose Him up and made His sacrifice a judgment for all men and women who will turn from the sin of the world and turn to Jesus and His righteousness , so both are worst

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Since death by crucifixion could last 3 or 4 days, its crucifixion being far worse. People who were burned at the stake probably were unconscious before actually being burned because of the smoke.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
All the martyrs who died on the cross and those who were burned at the stake never saved a single soul for Christ except the sacrifice of Lord Jesus , and the blood the martyrs lost could mean nothing and did not change anything , except the sacrifice of Lord Jesus Christ who was the only begotten son of God and died a innocent man , as God rose Him up and made His sacrifice a judgment for all men and women who will turn from the sin of the world and turn to Jesus and His righteousness , so both are worst
I would disagree with you that the suffering of humanity is meaningless and worth nothing. I find your belief crass. How could you ever be an intercessor if you are not moved by the suffering of others?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
This is a question I've had for some time and have never been able to come to a conclusion. Which form of death would be worse, being crucified or being burned at the stake? Or, is there a worse method? Hopefully, none of will ever find out.
1. NONE of can answer that question because it has never happened to us - and probably never will.
2. Why would anyone think about this - for several DAYS? Don't you have anything better to think about?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
1. NONE of can answer that question because it has never happened to us - and probably never will.
2. Why would anyone think about this - for several DAYS? Don't you have anything better to think about?
I suppose that's a good point. I'm not really morbid. I started thinking about it years ago while studying the martyrs in Bible college. It's not like it encompasses my entire waking time. The other day I was reading about John Huss and his final words, while being burned at the stake by the Catholics in 1415 for possessing Wycliffe manuscripts, "In 100 years, God will raise up a man whose calls for reform can not be suppressed." (In 1517 Luther nailed his 95 Theses of Contention to the church door in Wittenberg.) The manuscripts were used as kindling and all that was visible was Huss's head. I thought it must have been a tremendously painful death. But I am unsure if it surpasses, falls short, or equals crucifixion;physically, mentally, sprirtually. I was unsuccessful finding juxtapositions of the two, though there are hundreds if not thousands of websites regarding crucifixion's physical effects, all by people who have not been crucified. Hence, my forum inquiry.

Do I have better things to think about? I hate to think where I'd be today without Jesus's crucifixion for my sins and the reformers persecutions and martyrdom for the Word's advancement. No, I can think of nothing better to contemplate or meditate on than what they were willing to endure for me.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
Both are bad. We cannot know for sure. But at least a person who says they have been persecuted in America has no idea what it is. They just wanna feel persecuted, but most will not endure what the martyrs went through. There are still some in the world who are real martyr, many nations that will kill Christians. . But being told not to mention Jesus at work is not persecution. Most of us will not endure what these martyrs went through.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Both are bad. We cannot know for sure. But at least a person who says they have been persecuted in America has no idea what it is. They just wanna feel persecuted, but most will not endure what the martyrs went through. There are still some in the world who are real martyr, many nations that will kill Christians. . But being told not to mention Jesus at work is not persecution. Most of us will not endure what these martyrs went through.
My wife once said she felt persecuted for being told not to wear her "precious feet" or "tiny feet" pin at work. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity