Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times

Advertisements

Atheists with Non-atheist friends

This is a spin-off of a thread in the Atheism-Agnosticism sub-forum started by Alpha. The link is posted above^.

The question is, do any of you Christians have non-Christian friends or more specifically, do you have atheist friends. If so, how does that relationship panout in your life? Do you talk about your faith? Do you try to convert them? I will copy/paste my answer from the other thread...

For me, I only have a hand few of people that I consider to be my friends. I enjoy many acquaintances, but true friendship is another story. Of my friends, I can only think of one that I believe to be agnostic. We talk of both religion and lack there of. We have respect for each other and would never judge the other based on something other than the person's heart. Christ commanded us to love one another, not to judge one another.

I am sure that this is going too far OT, but I was also wondering how the Christian handles homosexual friends if they have any? I think that the same would apply. I know that I have a few. Their life style is not one that I would choose, but they are some of the greatest people I know and I do not judge them. They also do not judge me for being hetero.

Thanks for your answers.

<><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
I don't have any friends that are athiests. But if I did, I wouldn't think any lower of them. I don't have to have everything in common with someone to be their friend. As long as there is a mutual respect then it is basically a non-issue.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
its a non-issue with me.people have a right to their beliefs and i've known many non-religious people who led much 'cleaner' lives then some who profess faith.peoples minds and hearts can change over time also,sometimes the holy spirit will move people later in their lives.even among 'fellow christians' beliefs can vary a good bit.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I am friendly with most of the Atheists on this board and would be proud to have them as friends in the rw..I don't have many friends outside cd, because of my rapidly deteriorating hearing, and other personal reasons.. In this area, I imagine the Atheists feel safer from fundamentalists (who are the majority here) to remain anonymous. I had Atheist friends when I was in hs, and the Army and religion was never a factor in our relationships..I don't even remember any discussions about it except a mention..it just wasn't important..

Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
I have several friends and family members that are either Atheist or Agnostic, and I have no problems with any of them. I also have some very close friends that are gay and lesbian (one being one of the best partners I had while working as an EMT, another being a former methodist minister who I happen to consider a very good friend and I have talked to her on several occasions about very very bad calls I had at work) and it really makes no difference to me if a person is gay or straight. To be honest, I'm the type of person who can't stand people who bash others because they happen to be gay. Either way, it's not a real big deal and none of them get treated any differently because they may be Atheist/Agnostic/Gay/Lesbian etc, and in my opinion, I don't think it should make any difference to anyone - we were all created by God. It's just not a biggie to me.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I have several friends and family members that are either Atheist or Agnostic, and I have no problems with any of them. I also have some very close friends that are gay and lesbian (one being one of the best partners I had while working as an EMT, another being a former methodist minister who I happen to consider a very good friend and I have talked to her on several occasions about very very bad calls I had at work) and it really makes no difference to me if a person is gay or straight. To be honest, I'm the type of person who can't stand people who bash others because they happen to be gay. Either way, it's not a real big deal and none of them get treated any differently because they may be Atheist/Agnostic/Gay/Lesbian etc, and in my opinion, I don't think it should make any difference to anyone - we were all created by God. It's just not a biggie to me.
It should be..........

It's hard to have non-Christain friends because as Christians we are commanded to spread the gospel. All our friends should have been witnessed to at least once by us.

If our friends hinder us with our walk with the Lord which is mostly the case, then we can't have them as friends any more, the bible says, we are not to be equally yoked therefore we should strive to look for Christian friends and spouses who love the Lord just as much as we do to help strengthen the foundation of our walk with the Father.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I work with people who consider themselves atheists and we also spend personal time together. I say the same things and do the same things as I would do if they were a believer. I think our lifestyle and attitude will do more to change someone than a bunch of words while thumping them on the head with our Bible.
If I have to tell someone I'm a Christian...then I would feel it wasn't being seen in my life through my actions.
I hope I explained it the way I meant it. I wasn't indicating I never blow it from time to time.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If I have to tell someone I'm a Christian...then I would feel it wasn't being seen in my life through my actions.
I hope I explained it the way I meant it. I wasn't indicating I never blow it from time to time.
My belief exactly, Glory, and you said it very well..There are other ways of witnessing without the tongue..Personally I, like you, am into the doctrine of "Actions speak louder than words" And I have found that some people will sooner or later ask you why you behave as you do

Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I work with people who consider themselves atheists and we also spend personal time together. I say the same things and do the same things as I would do if they were a believer. I think our lifestyle and attitude will do more to change someone than a bunch of words while thumping them on the head with our Bible.
If you believe your friends are going to hell then you should do everything possible within reason to tell them about their impending doom. If you don't how could they consider you their friend. Showing them an example is not enough

A letter from hell- watch this video and tell me you feel the same

YouTube - A Letter fom Hell

Old 09-02-2008, 11:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
If you believe your friends are going to hell then you should do everything possible within reason to tell them about their impending doom. If you don't how could they consider you their friend. Showing them an example is not enough

A letter from hell- watch this video and tell me you feel the same

YouTube - A Letter fom Hell
I do agree with you and I really don't do the type of 'street witnessing' I probably should be doing. I haven't felt called to do so...but it's on the table in prayer because I would not want to miss God in this area. Paul said when he left a town that only after he completed his mission could he leave without the blood of those lost being on his hands. I think about that verse a whole lot.

Having said that though....I personally have never ran into someone in the neighborhood or work place who hasn't heard the gospel. They have simply chosen not to accept it or to say they don't believe in it in order to continue living their life without feeling guilty. In this case, only my love, my friendship and truly living out the principles of the God I say I serve is the only way I know to change their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity