U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 PM

112 posts, read 94,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The NT is based off the OT, so for Yeshua to mean YAH is Salvation makes perfect sense. How in the world would a man with Hebrew parents that is from the Hebrew tribe of Judah, end up with a Latin/Greek name of Jesus. That is like a African naming their child Hong Li Chung. We have the name of Jesus because that is the name the Europeans wanted us to have. I refer to him as Jesus because that us what is in my bible and I grew up learning, but after looking into the name, I will not discredit his actual name ( Yahushah/Yeshua) when he walked this earth either.

You get it.

The Father has your attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM

400 posts, read 452,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Seriously??

Everyone knows Jesus real in Hebrew is Yahushah/Yahshua/Yeshua..or whatever form of Hebrew is being used. It simply means YAH is salvation. Jesus is simply a bad transliteration of the original name that got hacked apart from Latin to Greek to English.
You're close SAAN. Yahu(part of God's name)+ shua(saves)=God saves.

Hebrew can be translated or transliterated. In this case transliterated.
Hebrew>>>>>>>>> Greek>>>>>>Latin>>>>>>English
Yahushua>>>>'ee-ay-soos Ἰησοῦς>>Iesus>>>>Iesus, later Jesus with Tyndale printing.

The difficulty was the Hebrew to Greek transliteration since there are no Greek letters to make those sounds. They did the best they could.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Explain why God would be opposed to us enjoying the celebration of life, the change of seasons, etc? Explain why God would be angered by someone decorating their home with an evergreen tree and enjoying its aroma? It makes no sense at all that God is supposedly against us finding joy.

You are instructed to be UNLIKE the pagan, not to learn the ways of the pagan.

It is that simple.

Jeremiah 10

Read it.

Jeremiah 10 Parallel Chapters

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
God is not petty or anal. One can worship any time.

Ahhhh............yeah He is, apparently.

Go read the 4th Commandment.

It is a day of rest, not a day of worship.

And you are commanded to observe.

Exodus 20:8

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,094,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Explain why God would be opposed to us enjoying the celebration of life, the change of seasons, etc? Explain why God would be angered by someone decorating their home with an evergreen tree and enjoying its aroma? It makes no sense at all that God is supposedly against us finding joy.
I wonder what joy Isaac had one he thought he was about to be murdered by his father? On the orders of God. I wonder what joy the residence of Egypt had, when God gave them all those plagues little things like killing first born children.

You're talking about that God right?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,220,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
But, henceforth I will not worship on Sunday. Instead I will worship on Freia's Day. Or possibly Saturn's Day.

I'm with you! Now I'm going full pagan! Saturnalia! Candalmas! Bring it on!

(legalistic trivia does this to me!)

Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Then I guess you consider yourself an illegalist.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,742,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Ahhhh............yeah He is, apparently.

Go read the 4th Commandment.

It is a day of rest, not a day of worship.

And you are commanded to observe.

Exodus 20:8

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Sure, Sunday is a day of obligation. But, there is a daily mass.

My point is that God is merciful and will not penalize people for trivial stuff. In fact I can go to mass Saturday evening and it will count for Sunday.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sure, Sunday is a day of obligation. But, there is a daily mass.

My point is that God is merciful and will not penalize people for trivial stuff. In fact I can go to mass Saturday evening and it will count for Sunday.

Saturday evening is the beging of sunday.

The day begins in the evening, at sundown.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 AM

27,990 posts, read 15,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Saturday evening is the beging of sunday.

The day begins in the evening, at sundown.

Where does it state to worship on HaShabat?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity