U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 AM

481 posts, read 183,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So you attribute 40,000 different religions to the work of satan trying to lead us away from the one true religion....as opposed to it being a big wide world out there with billions of people living in different pockets of it who evolved religious beliefs on their own????????

Riiiiiight....

It's like this, I believe the Bible tells the Truth, that only truth, and if it says that Satan is the god of this world, I tend to believe it. What do you use to decide your opinions?

You say that billions of people "evolved" their own religions but how much are they their own. If you look at religion of Christendom is is basically the same in overall context. They all have a hereafter, maybe a hell and a few other places.

Tribes in isolated areas of the earth, and speaking dialects that they alone know about, have something similar fro their religion, and it may surprise you to know that many have a flood story that is similar to the one in the Bible.

Are you a Christian, a practicing Christian, that is, and if yes, which of the 40,000 do you follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 AM

4,341 posts, read 1,353,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Okay, you read it here:

All good people go to heaven.

Thus it is, was, and shall ever be.
Now Trout, read the whole verse in context.

"They were gathered upon the side of a lake, the smallest to the tallest, and behold, the Trout rose to the surface, and rested upon it's tail, and spake "All good people go to heaven"; after he spake these words, the crowd was stunned. The Pharisees then said "Trout! Show us a sign!", so Trout heldeth up a sign, and the sign readeth "OCCUPY JERUSALEM!"; and the crowd was overfilled with joy, and danced upon the beach, singing "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign!"

Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 AM

25,752 posts, read 13,395,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Now Trout, read the whole verse in context.

"They were gathered upon the side of a lake, the smallest to the tallest, and behold, the Trout rose to the surface, and rested upon it's tail, and spake "All good people go to heaven"; after he spake these words, the crowd was stunned. The Pharisees then said "Trout! Show us a sign!", so Trout heldeth up a sign, and the sign readeth "OCCUPY JERUSALEM!"; and the crowd was overfilled with joy, and danced upon the beach, singing "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign!"
The other side of the sign said: "Eat At Moishe's."

Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM

625 posts, read 381,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSalvador View Post
Raised a Christian, it's been years since I went to church, but I remember always hearing that only a very, very small number of people will go to heaven and this number includes everyone who ever existed. that sounds like playing the lottery, so I will go to hell I guess. Ever thought of what would happen if you are a faithful Christian, go to church, read the bible, but in the end you still go to hell? Why? Simply because you weren't holy enough.
Christian is not a religion. What religion are you?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:39 PM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
It's like this, I believe the Bible tells the Truth, that only truth, and if it says that Satan is the god of this world, I tend to believe it. What do you use to decide your opinions?

You say that billions of people "evolved" their own religions but how much are they their own. If you look at religion of Christendom is is basically the same in overall context. They all have a hereafter, maybe a hell and a few other places.

Tribes in isolated areas of the earth, and speaking dialects that they alone know about, have something similar fro their religion, and it may surprise you to know that many have a flood story that is similar to the one in the Bible.

Are you a Christian, a practicing Christian, that is, and if yes, which of the 40,000 do you follow?

Quote:

My dear, I will tell you what I tell most other gullible Christians who bury their noses in the Bible and never read anything outside it: you've simply got to get exposed to some literature that challenges the notions found in the Bible. Christians are taught by their ministers and friends to avoid like the plague opinion contrary to the Bible. Why? Simply because most know the Bible can be refuted on so many legitimate grounds it terrifies pastors who don't want their congregations finding out the truth. Want ONE example? Here it is--unrefutable, unchallengeable:

You've been taught the Exodus as described in the Bible is true. It is not. It is a blatant lie and here's proof:

Quote:
The archaeological data do not accord with what could be expected from the Bible's exodus story: there is no evidence that the Israelites ever lived in Ancient Egypt, the Sinai Peninsula shows almost no sign of any occupation at all for the entire 2nd millennium BCE, and even Kadesh-Barnea, where the Israelites are said to have spent 38 years, was uninhabited prior to the establishment of the Israelite monarchy. Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Historicity

There you have it in black and white from reputable archeologists who have actually been out to Sinai who will testify that the Exodus of the Bible is a flat out lie.

Now as a Christian how does that make you feel? Do you feel betrayed by the Bible or is your mind able to permit you to just gloss over it and say, "Well, that's just not true" (serious delusion) or "Well, that's just one incident; it doesn't make the entire Bible false". That's rationalization and it doesn't make the entire Bible false, but then any intellectually honest person has to come to terms within themself that the Bible NOT inerrant. Are you capable of admitting to yourself the Bible is NOT the inerrant, infallible word of God? If you are congratulations, there's hope for you. But if you cannot admit that to yourself then I'm afraid you will always be one of those deluded Christians who goes through life afraid to take their noses out of the Bible for fear some jolting piece of evidence might shake the foundations of their unstable faith.

Quote:
I was a card-carrying member of Christian fundamentalism all my life up until a few years ago when I took advantage of the wealth of research on the Internet outside the perimeters of Christian propaganda to explore some alternate opinions and found things like the complete phoniness of the Exodus that caused me to question the Bible's reliability. From there I read truths so translucent as to render the Bible completely and totally unreliable, untrustworthy, and untrue.

I left Christianity and never looked back. I became a deist because I still believe in God, just not the pagan god of the Bible.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:57 PM

14,765 posts, read 4,958,159 times
Quote:
My dear, I will tell you what I tell most other gullible Christians who bury their noses in the Bible and never read anything outside it:

That is true, and there is so much more. I think Christians should study all religions and literatures but a great percentage would say they only need the bible, and to those people I would say,'' You can't understand completely what is being said in the bible unless you study the Talmud.''

That's the one thing a whole bunch of Christians wont study, but you can't unlock none of Revelation without the Talmud.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The other side of the sign said: "Eat At Moishe's."

The signs that get me are the tourist advisory signs that know where you are, even if yo don't tell anyone you are going there. Have you noticed...You casually walk up to one of these signs, anywhere in the country, and it says "You Are Here"...How did it know that? and what would happen if you divided to be somewhere else?......Its a mirrocoil!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
My dear, I will tell you what I tell most other gullible Christians who bury their noses in the Bible and never read anything outside it: you've simply got to get exposed to some literature that challenges the notions found in the Bible. Christians are taught by their ministers and friends to avoid like the plague opinion contrary to the Bible. Why? Simply because most know the Bible can be refuted on so many legitimate grounds it terrifies pastors who don't want their congregations finding out the truth. Want ONE example? Here it is--unrefutable, unchallengeable:

You've been taught the Exodus as described in the Bible is true. It is not. It is a blatant lie and here's proof:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Historicity

There you have it in black and white from reputable archeologists who have actually been out to Sinai who will testify that the Exodus of the Bible is a flat out lie.

Now as a Christian how does that make you feel? Do you feel betrayed by the Bible or is your mind able to permit you to just gloss over it and say, "Well, that's just not true" (serious delusion) or "Well, that's just one incident; it doesn't make the entire Bible false". That's rationalization and it doesn't make the entire Bible false, but then any intellectually honest person has to come to terms within themself that the Bible NOT inerrant. Are you capable of admitting to yourself the Bible is NOT the inerrant, infallible word of God? If you are congratulations, there's hope for you. But if you cannot admit that to yourself then I'm afraid you will always be one of those deluded Christians who goes through life afraid to take their noses out of the Bible for fear some jolting piece of evidence might shake the foundations of their unstable faith.

I was a card-carrying member of Christian fundamentalism all my life up until a few years ago when I took advantage of the wealth of research on the Internet outside the perimeters of Christian propaganda to explore some alternate opinions and found things like the complete phoniness of the Exodus that caused me to question the Bible's reliability. From there I read truths so translucent as to render the Bible completely and totally unreliable, untrustworthy, and untrue.

I left Christianity and never looked back. I became a deist because I still believe in God, just not the pagan god of the Bible.
Reading your reasons and your per-answered questions of what I would say, I can only assume that you are WIKKI-Guru. If that is t he extent of your knowledge, you need to expand a little more.

The Encyclopedia Britannica has many, many mistakes in it, even after years of review. They quote sources that do no exist, dates, times names and places that are likewise afflicted.

In you wikki story there are two archaeologists that denounce the Bible account of entering the Promised Land. and like a lot of t he scientific fraternity, they do add to or deduct from most information to make a n interesting 'Paper" to put in some National Geographic, or the like.

How does it make me feel? your revelation does nothing for me, I just put it in the same old garbage basket as a lot of this type of stuff.

I agree with you to some extent that there are many strange stories out there in Christendom, and like the current Pope, who said to the little girl that asked him why children are so badly treated in the world, he said "The are many things that we don't have the answer to, my child."

Not matter what the subject there is only one truth...Keep looking you are nowhere near it yet.

As far as not reading anything else but the Bible, I am well read, I am a Bible student and we read anything that is of interest from most secular and religious sources. We are opened minded and can apply logic to all things, but I must admit, I am not a card carrying adherent to Wikki

Of course, you can go on the net and look at the information released in the "Dead Sea Scrolls" these ancient parchments, not discovered by archaeologists but a mere boy, cover the era of Exodus, Judges, Joshua etc. And this will get you excited, my dear, you will find some of it on Wikkipedia.

Last edited by Marakorpa; 08-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: more stuff

Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 PM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
Reading your reasons and your per-answered questions of what I would say, I can only assume that you are WIKKI-Guru. If that is t he extent of your knowledge, you need to expand a little more.

The Encyclopedia Britannica has many, many mistakes in it, even after years of review. They quote sources that do no exist, dates, times names and places that are likewise afflicted.

In you wikki story there are two archaeologists that denounce the Bible account of entering the Promised Land. and like a lot of t he scientific fraternity, they do add to or deduct from most information to make a n interesting 'Paper" to put in some National Geographic, or the like.

How does it make me feel? your revelation does nothing for me, I just put it in the same old garbage basket as a lot of this type of stuff.

I agree with you to some extent that there are many strange stories out there in Christendom, and like the current Pope, who said to the little girl that asked him why children are so badly treated in the world, he said "The are many things that we don't have the answer to, my child."

Not matter what the subject there is only one truth...Keep looking you are nowhere near it yet.

As far as not reading anything else but the Bible, I am well read, I am a Bible student and we read anything that is of interest from most secular and religious sources. We are opened minded and can apply logic to all things, but I must admit, I am not a card carrying adherent to Wikki

Of course, you can go on the net and look at the information released in the "Dead Sea Scrolls" these ancient parchments, not discovered by archaeologists but a mere boy, cover the era of Exodus, Judges, Joshua etc. And this will get you excited, my dear, you will find some of it on Wikkipedia.
Well, as I said in another thread all I can do is point the way. The rest is up to the individual.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Well, as I said in another thread all I can do is point the way. The rest is up to the individual.
Try pointing the correct weay or all your readers will be lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity