U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 AM

63,228 posts, read 34,448,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Look up hangings in Iran, see how happy you would be, images are a wonderful thing, study them.
Read my post again. They are happy with their relationship with God. You'll find people with amazing faiths in the worst environments. Some people in Iran are in big trouble for preaching the Gospel, but they did it because they wanted to. Apostle Paul, and all other Apostles were not looking for ease and comfort when they preached to the people who killed them, and neither did Jesus.

Either way, the topic is US, not Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,398,071 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Well...filled with facts and reality at least. As opposed to baseless, paranoid nonsense about how the largest demographic by far in this nation is somehow under attack.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-15-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,770,437 times
Quote:
But you do already, it's called satanism.
Right.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People keep telling me that my religious freedoms are under attack, but I am not seeing it. There are troubling trends in the society accepting gay marriage, drugs, abortion etc more than before, but how should that take away from my religious rights? It doesn't, because my faith is between me and my God. There are countries like Iran where it is dangerous to be Christian, but the Christians there are happy with their personal relationship with God. There is something about people and their desire to feel that they are under attack. I am not under attack, no matter how much others try to convinvce me that I am. I can't think of anything related to my faith that I want to do, but I am not allowed to do.
Wonderful and truthful post, Finn. I'm really glad to know you are not falling for the paranoid spin. We who are believers in Christ in America have a lot to be grateful for as I see it.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's baseless, ridiculous and childish nonsense to assert that Christians are somehow persecuted or marginalized in this nation.

For one thing, close to 80% of the US population self-identify as Christian.

You cannot go four blocks in any city or tiny little town in this country without seeing at least one church, or church billboard, or mega-church.

Christians in America have their own chains of retail businesses, their own television networks, their own publishing companies, their own radio stations, their own advertising firms, their own lines of clothing, and so on and so forth.

And that is all well and good. This is how it should be. Christians should be free to engage in those activities and have these freedoms as well as the freedom to practice their faith the way they see fit.

But, given all these things I mentioned, how silly it is to try to turn around and claim that Christians are somehow mistreated or discriminated against in America. Nonsense.
Well said. Anyone claiming to be persecuted as a Christian in America has to be imagining said persecution. And it is not uncommon for extremists to concoct a persecution complex.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM

25,945 posts, read 13,481,092 times
Quote:
But you do already, it's called satanism.
LOL!

Funny stuff.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM

25,945 posts, read 13,481,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's baseless, ridiculous and childish nonsense to assert that Christians are somehow persecuted or marginalized in this nation.

For one thing, close to 80% of the US population self-identify as Christian.

You cannot go four blocks in any city or tiny little town in this country without seeing at least one church, or church billboard, or mega-church.

Christians in America have their own chains of retail businesses, their own television networks, their own publishing companies, their own radio stations, their own advertising firms, their own lines of clothing, and so on and so forth.

And that is all well and good. This is how it should be. Christians should be free to engage in those activities and have these freedoms as well as the freedom to practice their faith the way they see fit.

But, given all these things I mentioned, how silly it is to try to turn around and claim that Christians are somehow mistreated or discriminated against in America. Nonsense.
Exactly.

Some people go to absurd lengths to drape themselves in martyr mantles.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,074,862 times
I always considered our religious freedom to mean we, as individuals, have the right to decide and act in accordance with our faith and relationship with God (or whatever we worthship) and that those individual rights are not infringed upon by the government.

In that vein, I do not see how ACA requiring business provided health coverage to cover certain controversial procedures as infringing on religious liberty.

Anyone in receipt of those benefits can choose, based on their faith and relationship with God, to not have those covered procedures done, whether or not their plan covers it.

It just means under civil law, the health plan most cover and provide that as an option.

Now, I am not advocating, or attacking that portion of the ACA here in this instance either. Just trying to state that I do not think those provisions of the ACA are infringing on Religious freedoms of individuals in this nation.

(Really, as Griffis said very well, it seems silly to suggest governmental religious persecution or restriction to the right to practice religion against Christians in the US these days.)

Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM

15,097 posts, read 4,816,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Absolutely. There is an all out war against religious freedom. The problem is that there are so many civil issues that collide headlong into religious freedom. Christian civil servants who began employment 30 years ago are being told to go against their religious convictions and sanction same sex marriage. Privately owned companies are being forced to pay for abortions and contraception. Christian owners of businesses are facing eternal damnation if they want to stay in business.

All in the name of civil rights that aren't even rights and definitely aren't even protected by the Constitution. Religion is protected in the first ammendment. Abortion, contraception, and sexual preference are not in the constitution.

But that doesn't matter. The intent of the first ammendment is ignored and the first amendment, conceived as a shield to protect religious liberty, is reforged into a sword aimed right at the heart of religion.
If secular organizations discriminated against you, I am sure you would complain too. These are very recent developments. There is no war against religious freedom. There is now a recognition that non-Christians in our society have the same rights as Christians. This is the hard truth whether you can deal with it or not. I can and I am a Christian.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM

668 posts, read 571,539 times
Comparatively speaking Christians do not have a bad thing in America. But when compared with the America of the past, things have really turned against Christians in many ways. I suppose because the Christians in America are not being tortured, killed, raped and forced into slavery like they are in most of the "peace loving islamic countries" is way some say there is not threat against us in America.

Once in America a Christian had the freedom to pray publicly at a football game and those who choose not to were allowed the same freedom. Today the Christian has lost his right while the non-Christian has the same rights they all once had.

Once in America you could call sin a sin. Today your called a bigot or raciest or some "phobe" for accepting what God has said. Those who attack Christians are free to do so.

Christians are denied the same rights as others every day in our society. I am told that I may not have a bible in my workspace. I choose to read it during my breaks and at lunch and I still have it. One day I may loose my job over it. They allow wicca material and islamic material but only Christians are singled out.

Today Christians are being forced to offer medical coverage for things they believe are a sin and violate their religion. But they are denied their right to religious freedom and forced to do so if they want to run a business in America. This is the beginning steps to not allowing Christians to work. Watch and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or