U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Reputation: 1308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
What evidence do you have that the residents of Islamberg, in particular, have ever done what you claim?

So far, all they've done is establish a faith community in an out-of-the-way place. Given the 'shoot-end-and-let-God-sort-it-out' reaction any mention of the words 'Islam', 'Muslim' or 'Qu'ran' generates among the far-right, I'm not surprised they're heading for the hills.

Oh, and that like I provided connects to an article about a Christian movement that seeks to establish Biblical law as the law of the land.

You tell me how that's any different.
Quiet Muslim-Only Town in N.Y. Founded by Alleged Terrorist | Fox News#

from the article it states that Cleric Gilani who started Islamberg 20 yrs ago:
"Federal authorities say Gilani was also one of the founders of Jamaat al-Fuqra, a terrorist organization believed responsible for dozens of bombings and murders across the U.S. and abroad"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Nanaimo, Canada
1,808 posts, read 1,588,363 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Quiet Muslim-Only Town in N.Y. Founded by Alleged Terrorist | Fox News#

from the article it states that Cleric Gilani who started Islamberg 20 yrs ago:
"Federal authorities say Gilani was also one of the founders of Jamaat al-Fuqra, a terrorist organization believed responsible for dozens of bombings and murders across the U.S. and abroad"
What does that prove about the town's current residents? Are they the same type of person? Do they hold the same views?

I don't know. I've never talked to them. Have you?

Again: do you have any direct evidence that the residents of Islamberg are at all dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
What does that prove about the town's current residents? Are they the same type of person? Do they hold the same views?

I don't know. I've never talked to them. Have you?

Again: do you have any direct evidence that the residents of Islamberg are at all dangerous?
It proves that you wantonly are being naïve if one thinks a person can be part of such a "residence" and yet disagree fundamentally with them.
"Either you are for me or against me" ....

If you want direct evidence, read about what happen in to a person who violated one of these sharia "communities" in London
American Student Scarred In Brutal Sharia Attack In London - AnandTech Forums

BBC News - US student scarred in east London bottle attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Nanaimo, Canada
1,808 posts, read 1,588,363 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It proves that you wantonly are being naïve if one thinks a person can be part of such a "residence" and yet disagree fundamentally with them.
"Either you are for me or against me" ....

If you want direct evidence, read about what happen in to a person who violated one of these sharia "communities" in London
American Student Scarred In Brutal Sharia Attack In London - AnandTech Forums

BBC News - US student scarred in east London bottle attack
I lived in a neighborhood that suffered from rampant drug use -- but I didn't turn into a drug-dealer.

You're not showing me any evidence that the residents of Islamberg are a threat. You're just throwing out tangentially-related news reports.

If you can't provide such evidence in your next few posts, I will consider this conversation closed in my favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I lived in a neighborhood that suffered from rampant drug use -- but I didn't turn into a drug-dealer.

You're not showing me any evidence that the residents of Islamberg are a threat. You're just throwing out tangentially-related news reports.

If you can't provide such evidence in your next few posts, I will consider this conversation closed in my favor.
When you admit in your profile in holding to Wiccan views and then you refuse see any evidence ... is all the convincing for me who is speaking for whom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Nanaimo, Canada
1,808 posts, read 1,588,363 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
When you admit in your profile in holding to Wiccan views and then you refuse see any evidence ... is all the convincing for me who is speaking for whom.
Well, let's see here.

I've asked a specific question ('Is there evidence to show that the residents of Islamberg are a threat?')

As evidence, you've presented the views of one person, and two articles that are only tangentially related to my question.

(And before you repeat your assertion that living in the same town as an alleged fanatic makes them equally fanatical -- that's like saying that, since there's a Baptist church down the street, I'm automatically a Baptist).

So, my question becomes:

Can you provide any evidence that indicates that the residents of Islamberg, specifically, are a threat? And one more thing: ad hominem attacks are not going to help your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Reputation: 32347
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
When you admit in your profile in holding to Wiccan views and then you refuse see any evidence ... is all the convincing for me who is speaking for whom.
lol, I'm guessing Wiccans could tell you a great deal about their religious liberty being threatened. Considering the number of anti-Wiccan posts I've read written by fundamentalist Christians on C-D I'm not seeing a whole lot of tolerance for the religious rights of the Wiccans in this country.

Which are the same as everyone else's. Much to the chagrin of some people who grasp their hearts and flop around at the very thought of seeing a Wiccan symbol (much less an actual, real-life Wiccan) in a public place.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-29-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Reputation: 2274
Scripture tells us if then the son may make you free, in reality you shall be free. In the Light of this can your freedom be threatened ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Nanaimo, Canada
1,808 posts, read 1,588,363 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Scripture tells us if then the son may make you free, in reality you shall be free. In the Light of this can your freedom be threatened ?.
Scripture is not going to guarantee that your rights will be respected.

Faith is important, yes, but there's an old saying:

'Trust in god, but tether your horse anyway'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Scripture is not going to guarantee that your rights will be respected.

Faith is important, yes, but there's an old saying:

'Trust in god, but tether your horse anyway'.
Well you know the old saying of us 100% bible believers," if its in the bible I believe it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top