U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:12 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,775,897 times

Advertisements

I guess I just wonder why there was all that multiple wives and concubines business going on in the Old Testament.

As for sexuality - I think it is a very personal and private matter that I would not advise anyone to discuss in a church setting, period. Jesus said lust was the same as doing it - so there you go -- most likely everyone posting in this thread has committed adultery by Jesus' standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,775,606 times
Quote:
They are quite happy and their culture does not believe in divorce. It just would not happen
Well, let's be specific. They're commited. They know what they're getting into. And they're not so foolish as to believe in the modern folly of romantic love; the idea that there just magically is some soul mate out there and once you meet him/her everything will just work out by itself. You have to work at a marriage.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,676,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I guess I just wonder why there was all that multiple wives and concubines business going on in the Old Testament.

It's because men are sinful beings. That's what men do. We tend to think with our genitals. Notice...God never endorsed it, but did allow it.
Quote:
As for sexuality - I think it is a very personal and private matter that I would not advise anyone to discuss in a church setting, period. Jesus said lust was the same as doing it - so there you go -- most likely everyone posting in this thread has committed adultery by Jesus' standard.

Why? The Bible discusses it. If I preach verse by verse through the Bible, I will have to address it at some point.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Why? The Bible discusses it. If I preach verse by verse through the Bible, I will have to address it at some point.
Yeah, agreed. There are some pretty clear restrictions. Like, being swinger isn't a valid choice. Nor "poly quad" relationships.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,676,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Well, let's be specific. They're commited. They know what they're getting into. And they're not so foolish as to believe in the modern folly of romantic love; the idea that there just magically is some soul mate out there and once you meet him/her everything will just work out by itself. You have to work at a marriage.
Correct.

And I will also point out that I've been married 16 years next week. Is my wife perfect? No. Am I? Heck no...but she puts up with me. Together I think we're pretty happy. It's a mindset--you have to decide that you're going to be married and that's that. At that point you are free to love on your spouse and make sure he/she knows that come hell or high water.....you're there by their side.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM

20,476 posts, read 9,886,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's because men are sinful beings. That's what men do.
We tend to think with our genitals.

Notice...God never endorsed it, but did allow it.
And he never changes.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,089,306 times
So there is pretty much 2 views: (Wait or Jump Right in)
1. That is listed in the OP about telling people to wait until they are 30 with a degree before getting married, but dont have sex.

And the Alternative solution

2. Can't Wait for Sex? Then Just Get Married, is the advice that will be given my some in the church

The calling for young marriages raises a few questions:
How young is too young?

What if marriage is viewed as a ticket to guilt-free sex?

What about the fact that marrying young is the No. 1 predictor of divorce?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,830,256 times
#2 would be the single biggest mistake most could make. To get married at a young age simply becuase you will not have sex outside of marriage is a disaster in the making.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
To get married at a young age simply becuase you will not have sex outside of marriage is a disaster in the making.
Potentially. But not everyone is totally immature at 18-21, some people are just naturally balanced. Furthermore, someone growing up in a culture that supports marriage and explains it and doesn't let mass-media culture nonsense get driven into their youths' heads will probably understand better that they're getting married, and it isn't about "soulmates" and some Disney fairytale.

At the very least can we stop pretending that the ages of like 27-32 are "young"? Fertility experts keep repeatedly warning our society that women need to stop delaying childbearing; after 30 fertility and the ease of pregancies drops, and after 35 it's almost gone. Way people envision setting up their lives, they want to wait until they're 40 to have kids.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:27 PM

6,438 posts, read 9,983,887 times
If you want to get a disease, I suppose you can go ahead and sow your wild unmarried oats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity