U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 3,745,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Some may have discerned that I'm an atheist.

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat distressed at the overt bashing of the Roman Catholic Church that seems to come from a number of fundamentalist believers. I went to a Catholic school even though I was not Catholic, for 7 out of of my 12 school years. I have seen some very good aspects of both the clergy and some of the nuns that I had as teachers.

There is much that I do not like about the Catholic Church, however I see a persistent bashing of their clergy, implying that they are all sexual perverts, and there is significant amount of bashing of the Roman Catholic belief system.

My question is, why do fundamentalist feel that they are better then Catholics, and having to significantly berate the Catholic faith?

Are you not all Christians?
Because protestantism defines itself in opposition to Catholicism. To be Protestant is, in effect, to be Not Catholic.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 AM

400 posts, read 453,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Catholicism can lay legitimate claim to being the original (oldest) form of organized Christianity.

And every contender/wannabe/break-away organization wants to take shots at the champ.

So far, it's successfully outnumbered/out-pointed the contenders/pretenders but they keep slugging away, hoping to land a haymaker.

With Francis at the helm now, and witnessing the great press he's getting, the threatened ones (fundamentalists and the Catholic Establishment) are worried sick - for different, but understandable reasons.

Pope Frankie seems to be a Man For The Age - and the combined, albeit-fractured opposition has nobody even close to his weight class.

Watch for Catholicism's numbers to grow dramatically during his papacy (long may it be).
Troutdude, I'm sure you're a good guy and I'm not trying to be holier than thou or whatever. When I first came on here I admit I got my tail feathers ruffled by posts I wasn't expecting and it drew me away from my mission to try and help people with genuine questions and problems.

Do you seriously think God measures success by numbers? I have worked in the ministry of both Catholic and Protestant churches and schools and frankly have never seen either worried about how many people were going to what church. There were no secret shopper church attendance counters.

What's your motivation behind the put down sports analogies? It does nothing to promote Christendom and only serves to fan the fires of intolerance and hate. There are people searching here who could be turned off and figure what has Christianity to offer when people behave no differently than the world.

Pope Francis has a hard row to hoe. He is being pressed by many factions within the church and so far is proving up to the task. However, he needs to be careful or the church could face another Vatican II outcome. Though I'm Protestant I pray for him daily.

Truly, I wish you well and pray abundant blessings for you.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 AM

183 posts, read 140,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
People need to point their fingers at something to make themselves feel better and holier.

Second Commandment
Exodus 20:4

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 AM

9,887 posts, read 6,754,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I became disillusioned with the Catholic church when they knowingly had pedophiles in charge of churches. If they assaulted kids, they would be moved to another parish to do it again. It may have been a small number, but even one was too many.

I don't believe that confessing one's sins will wash them away, some are just too awful.

If they had to keep the priests, then send them to some isolated monastery where they could be supervised away from children.
Round two of Catholic bashing. Make sure to always play the pedophile card. I guess the Church preaches pedophilia.

Same old!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Second Commandment
Exodus 20:4

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Same old:

I am assuming the poster is a quaker.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Julian, another one of your totally unsubstantiated lies. Show us your proof. Show me in The Westminster Confession of Faith any Catholic bashing. Show me in The Baptist Confession of Faith any Catholic bashing. Show me in The Delcaration of Faith of The Presbyterian Church any Catholic bashing. Show me in The Scots Confession of Faith any Catholic bashing. The Belgic Confession of Faith. The Theological Declaration of Barmen. The Savoy Declaration of Faith. There is none, nada, zip. The word Catholic isn't even mentioned. Look them up and read them for yourself. There are even Fundamental Catholics. The main differences lie in what are termed the non-essential doctrines.

Bashing is a two way street. EWTN, American Catholic, Catholic Answers, etc. are full of Protestant, particluarly fundamentalist disdain. It became more prevalent after Vatican II for too many reasons to delve into. Don't get me wrong there are many Protestant websites dedicated to Catholic malevolence. The difference is these aren't Church sanctioned websites, but the views from the fringe.

The vast majority are.

When are you going to mature and get off this train of thought where you feel the calling to put down Protestantism whenever the opportunity presents itself? It serves no one. It helps no one. God isn't up there giving you a thumbs up.
Mainstream churches do not have anti-catholicism in their written dogmas. I am talking about the uneducated ministers running independent fly by night churches as well as the hard core fundamentalists.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM

8,047 posts, read 4,211,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholic bashing is part of the doctrine of many Protestant Churches. I don't think is evil spirited, I think it simply has to do with the foundation of Protestantism. In other words the movement is related to perceived errors in Catholicism. It is the "they are doing it wrong" doctrine and to preach that doctrine there has to be some anti-catholic remarks.

Non-catholic students in Catholic schools are often more popular and accepted than the Catholic kids. There is very little proselytization and the non-Catholic kids feel welcomed. My youngest daughter best friend in in parochial school was a Protestant. This kid was there for education and she was active in her Protestant Church, however, she was extremely open minded and enjoyed the religion class quite a bit.

BTW, my kids studied all religions in religious education including Judaism and Muslims.
I was going to reply, but Julian pretty much nailed it with this post. Protestantism came from Catholicism. Their religions did not exist separately from the RCC for over 1000 years. Ultimately, Protestantims must justify its break with the RCC. If they cannot find any reason at all to disagree with Catholicism, then they might as well just merge back into the RCC and be done with it.

Protestantism is fortunate. The RCC has a very long list of practices that are non-Biblical. Several Catholic practices are directly contradictory to the Biblical account. For the Protestant, that is more than enough to justify their initial and continued separation from their mother Church. For their part, Catholics have their own take on each accusation of practice/doctrine that is either not found or directly contradicted in the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Julian, another one of your totally unsubstantiated lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Beautiful post

The Catholic Church is "Christian" only in name. In the heart of it all, it is Pagan Sun Worship preaching a false gospel using Christian names in place of their pagan idols.
So many flavors, so little time. Am I right?

You do realize that you can disagree with Catholicism without all that hate and demonization, right? I am not Catholic, but I find any and all religion bashing to be distasteful.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

[quote=godofthunder9010;31830822]I was going to reply, but Julian pretty much nailed it with this post. Protestantism came from Catholicism. Their religions did not exist separately from the RCC for over 1000 years. Ultimately, Protestantims must justify its break with the RCC. If they cannot find any reason at all to disagree with Catholicism, then they might as well just merge back into the RCC and be done with it.
[quote]

Agree!

Quote:
Protestantism is fortunate. The RCC has a very long list of practices that are non-Biblical. Several Catholic practices are directly contradictory to the Biblical account. For the Protestant, that is more than enough to justify their initial and continued separation from their mother Church. For their part, Catholics have their own take on each accusation of practice/doctrine that is either not found or directly contradicted in the Bible.
In a sense the CC was the church before the NT. In Catholicism the Church is founded and inspired by Jesus so doctrine form the church has the same footing as the NT. Lastly it was the RCC the one that develop the canon of the NT into its final version. Emperor Constantine ordered the hand written Bibles some which survive in the Vatican vaults. The RCC released copies of these ancient texts to the Protestants in the 19th century so they could study the most ancient available copies of the NT.

Quote:
So many flavors, so little time. Am I right?

You do realize that you can disagree with Catholicism without all that hate and demonization, right? I am not Catholic, but I find any and all religion bashing to be distasteful.

Exactly!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM

16,293 posts, read 7,677,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Same old:

I am assuming the poster is a quaker.
Mennonite would take the injunction literally right down to not making photographs, but thanks for the nod.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,653,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Some may have discerned that I'm an atheist.

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat distressed at the overt bashing of the Roman Catholic Church that seems to come from a number of fundamentalist believers. I went to a Catholic school even though I was not Catholic, for 7 out of of my 12 school years. I have seen some very good aspects of both the clergy and some of the nuns that I had as teachers.
Have you ever listened to a Roman Catholic apologist? There is quite a bit that goes the other way, too. While a fundamentalist will say that they preach a gospel contrary to the Bible, the RCC apologists claim that the RCC is the only true church. It's not just one-sided.
Quote:
There is much that I do not like about the Catholic Church, however I see a persistent bashing of their clergy, implying that they are all sexual perverts, and there is significant amount of bashing of the Roman Catholic belief system.

My question is, why do fundamentalist feel that they are better then Catholics, and having to significantly berate the Catholic faith?

Are you not all Christians?
I've personally been among the folks that suggest it's not just Catholicism that causes men to prey on boys. I realize that anywhere you have adults in charge of kids, it can happen--be it a Catholic church, a protestant church, sports team, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or