U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM

400 posts, read 452,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you ever listened to a Roman Catholic apologist? There is quite a bit that goes the other way, too. While a fundamentalist will say that they preach a gospel contrary to the Bible, the RCC apologists claim that the RCC is the only true church. It's not just one-sided.

I've personally been among the folks that suggest it's not just Catholicism that causes men to prey on boys. I realize that anywhere you have adults in charge of kids, it can happen--be it a Catholic church, a protestant church, sports team, etc.
That's very true. Plus, predators are drawn to professions where opportunity presents itself. I have worked in Christian ministries most my entire life and fortunately have been insulated from aberrant behavior. I've seen some things that would curl your hair, not involving predation but rather perversion.

Also, glad you're back Vizio. Thought maybe you were discouraged. You get hammered on a lot. Keep the faith bro'.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM

5,668 posts, read 4,892,206 times
The catholic chirch denied their people access to the scriptures for many years, maintaining a level of ignorance and control. Protestants had full access to the scriptures,giving them an edge in knowing more of the truth than the catholic shurch allowed. In spite of the ful access to scriptures available to them now they are so steeped in tradition and fear of the church ,they dare not challange what is being taught ,rather defend it. Protestants are not so fearful hence the division among churches exists.Working with a poorly engineered bible they assyembled, deeming Paul's letters as scripture, confusion and conflict are rampent. In spite of all this God is able to find those that actually love Him, and reveal Jesus.One would do well to sitck with the things Jesus taught in the gospels and revelation. and desperately seek after the tutelage of the Holy Spirit Jesus promied His believers. Neither the cathoic nor the protestant are obeying Jesus teaching, so long as they choose to listen to men in place of God.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,848,677 times
Same reason some think it is to bash any belief group or practice: To feel superior.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 649,878 times
We are here in a Christian forum and we discuss what is right or wrong in our opinion. The problem is we have not the same foundation. Catholics believe in their Church. The RCC says they are above the word of God, here the conflict begins. They have claimed in the past that they are the only church with salvation and the Protestants are anathema. If Vatican II changed it, they should cancel the old, what they did not. The RCC does not recognize a Protestant church. No Catholic is allowed to take the Last supper from a protestant priest.
Anyone that studies the history of the RCC, the Papacy or the Vatican must come to the conclusion that this is a bad tree. Bad there are born again Catholics and God takes care of them. The Lord restores the clergy. This is the testimony of a Catholic priest who had a NDE, visiting hell, Purgatory and heaven: "I was surprised when I saw in Hell even Priests and Bishops. Many of them were there because they had misled the people with false teaching and bad example" Fr Jose Maniyangat. Some of the Priests he knew and he never would have expect them there. Unfortunately, he did not say, what that false teaching was. But he has a ministry and he is an example for many to stay away from iniquity. Catholic or not we have all to repent and change and go the narrow way and enter the narrow gate. Any one that hates will not enter.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM

400 posts, read 452,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Mainstream churches do not have anti-catholicism in their written dogmas. I am talking about the uneducated ministers running independent fly by night churches as well as the hard core fundamentalists.
Another Julian 360, first it's all Protestant doctrine is anti-Catholic now it's just some. Again, where's your proof? I am not familiar with any fly by night churches. If by independent you mean non-denominational, they are just that, non-denominational. Who and where are these 'uneducated' ministers? Finally, your take on what you call 'hard core' fundamentalists is baseless, unless you mean some abominations like Westboro Baptist Church which is a disgrace and an exception to the rule. What is your definition of fundamentalist? The word has been demonized and taken on meaning removed from its definition, kind of like the Washington "Redskins." Take independent fundamental Baptists. Do you think they sit around at coffee hour bashing Catholics? Their pastors don't sit around discussing such matters either. Their Bible Colleges don't offer Catholic Bashing 101 courses. They are busy going about the Lord's work.

You're like an old 45 record stuck in a groove. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm going to hold your feet to the fire for your rhetoric does not serve the greater good of Christendom.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM

9,877 posts, read 6,752,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
We are here in a Christian forum and we discuss what is right or wrong in our opinion. The problem is we have not the same foundation. Catholics believe in their Church. The RCC says they are above the word of God, here the conflict begins. They have claimed in the past that they are the only church with salvation and the Protestants are anathema. If Vatican II changed it, they should cancel the old, what they did not. The RCC does not recognize a Protestant church. No Catholic is allowed to take the Last supper from a protestant priest.
I am sure you are a very intelligent person, but I advice you check the Catechism of the RCC before repeating the words that your preacher tells the congregation. Here is the Catechism with regards to other Christians. The Catholic Church considers these Christians saved (See 838 below in bold). You are citing ideas from the dark ages. IN fact, the CC also allows salvation for Jews.

Quote:
Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

836 "All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God's grace to salvation."320

837 "Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but 'in body' not 'in heart.'"321

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."
323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324

The Church and non-Christians

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."325

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,326 "the first to hear the Word of God."327 The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ",328 "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."329
I hope that helps your growth as a Christian. You are simply propagating misinformation Please become better informed before posting.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM

8,043 posts, read 4,209,807 times
Hi Julian. So according to your post, everyone who believes in Jesus Christ and looks to his sacrifice as the means to their salvation is an informal member of the Catholic Church. That being the case, what's the downside for you or any other Catholic "shopping around" and finding another Christian denomination? What do you lose if you should convert and become Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Anglican, etc? What about Mormonism and or becoming a Jehovah's Witness? What about become a Muslim or a Jew? In terms of salvation, do you lose anything at all?

Other posters are quite correct in stating that the RCC did not used to be so open-minded nor forgiving. As I've often said, Vatican II is probably the greatest council in all of Church history, but as I am not Catholic I don't know the particulars of real world application very well.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM

7,813 posts, read 10,712,075 times
It is fine to address the OP, but to do so with content and respect. NO overt bashing of Catholicism is to take place. We have many Catholic members on this forum, and the first paragraph of the Sticky highlights the rules around posting in addressing this issue. Overt attacks will be infracted.

Just asking that all respect others who identity themselves as Christian.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,445,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Catholicism can lay legitimate claim to being the original (oldest) form of organized Christianity.

And every contender/wannabe/break-away organization wants to take shots at the champ.

So far, it's successfully outnumbered/out-pointed the contenders/pretenders but they keep slugging away, hoping to land a haymaker.

With Francis at the helm now, and witnessing the great press he's getting, the threatened ones (fundamentalists and the Catholic Establishment) are worried sick - for different, but understandable reasons.

Pope Frankie seems to be a Man For The Age - and the combined, albeit-fractured opposition has nobody even close to his weight class.

Watch for Catholicism's numbers to grow dramatically during his papacy (long may it be).
I thought The Orthodox Christians were the oldest.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,101,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Mennonite would take the injunction literally right down to not making photographs, but thanks for the nod.
Depends on the mennonite. There are many Mennonites in my area, and they all seem to have cell phone cameras they use. The women all still use traditional dresses but otherwise exude modernity. Even local Hutterites, depending on the colony, embrace technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or