U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 AM

21,483 posts, read 13,678,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS CONTROLLED BY SPACEALIENS, THE ILLUMINTI, AND SOME ANCIENT FISH GOD!!!...Well, at least that's what a conspiracy theorist website told me...There, is that bashing new enough for you?!

I think much of the power structure of the Catholic Church is biblically questionable as well as their interpretation of many biblical things, but I don't have much issue with them and still call them Christian. Protestants do tend to Bash them alot though...but not much more than they bash eachother across denominations
Many Protestant ministers thought that as well. Many studied Catholism to prove it was false and decided the church had the truth and converted. You can go to www.catholic.com to read about them and the church. Also, go to the answer forum to ask questions.

You can also listen to catholic radio on the www.ewtn.com web site. Go to radio and then to listen live if you don't have a radio station in your area that carreis it. Many shows are for non-Catholics to ask qurestions. You can call in.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM

400 posts, read 452,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many Protestant ministers thought that as well. Many studied Catholicism to prove it was false and decided the church had the truth and converted. You can go to www.catholic.com to read about them and the church. Also, go to the answer forum to ask questions.

You can also listen to catholic radio on the www.ewtn.com web site. Go to radio and then to listen live if you don't have a radio station in your area that carries it. Many shows are for non-Catholics to ask questions. You can call in.
Janelle, I was in Catholic seminary and went to a Protestant Bible College which had a smattering of several dozen denominations. I've lived in both worlds. Both have legitimate concerns. It's a two-way street. I'm not interested in proving one faith is wrong and one right. I am concerned when people make misrepresentations, either due to faulty teaching or incorrect interpretation of church doctrine. Christian apologetics is important but I think it is overblown on websites such as Catholic Answers which you linked. For example, Mormon Stumpers, JW Stumpers, More Stumpers for JW's, Reasons Not To Bible Study With Non-Catholics, Why SDA Is Wrong, Why The Watchtower Is False, Using Scripture To Counter Protestants, How To Bring A JW Back To Catholicism, JW Is A False Religion, and the last one I'll mention All Non-Catholics Need To Become Catholics-Period.

When you read about how Catholic Answers began in 1979 when a Catholic, Karl Keating, found a leaflet on his car's windshield denouncing some Catholic views on the Eucharist and such, I have to question whether the motives to begin Catholic Answers were of God or of man. The annoyed Keating drafted his own 'tract' called Catholic Answers then put them on the windshields of cars in the parking lot of a Protestant church. One could call it tit for tat, but still, motivation not of love is outside God.

Pope Francis is beginning to usher reforms. He is pursuing reconciliation and reunification between faiths, not intolerance.

Lastly, I am not a Catholic basher. My parents are Catholic and most of my relatives are. I left for personal reasons. Often, I correct posts which state RCC doctrine in error which is not bashing. Except for one post, I have restrained myself from devulging my negative RCC personal experiences. My goal is not to sensationalize. The media does enough of that.

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 10-19-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 AM

9,745 posts, read 6,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Janelle, I was in Catholic seminary and went to a Protestant Bible College which had a smattering of several dozen denominations. I've lived in both worlds. Both have legitimate concerns. It's a two-way street. I'm not interested in proving one faith is wrong and one right. I am concerned when people make misrepresentations, either due to faulty teaching or incorrect interpretation of church doctrine. Christian apologetics is important but I think it is overblown on websites such as Catholic Answers which you linked. For example, Mormon Stumpers, JW Stumpers, More Stumpers for JW's, Reasons Not To Bible Study With Non-Catholics, Why SDA Is Wrong, Why The Watchtower Is False, Using Scripture To Counter Protestants, How To Bring A JW Back To Catholicism, JW Is A False Religion, and the last one I'll mention All Non-Catholics Need To Become Catholics-Period.

When you read about how Catholic Answers began in 1979 when a Catholic, Karl Keating, found a leaflet on his car's windshield denouncing some Catholic views on the Eucharist and such, I have to question whether the motives to begin Catholic Answers were of God or of man. The annoyed Keating drafted his own 'tract' called Catholic Answers then put them on the windshields of cars in the parking lot of a Protestant church. One could call it tit for tat, but still, motivation not of love is outside God.

Pope Francis is beginning to usher reforms. He is pursuing reconciliation and reunification between faiths, not intolerance.

Lastly, I am not a Catholic basher. My parents are Catholic and most of my relatives are. I left for personal reasons. Often, I correct posts which state RCC doctrine in error which is not bashing. Except for one post, I have restrained myself from devulging my negative RCC personal experiences. My goal is not to sensationalize. The media does enough of that.
People convert from Protestant to Catholics and the opposite is also true.

Protestants gain more converts by its simplicity. It just takes an instant to be a Protestant and it is based on emotions. Catholicism is more dogmatic and traditional. It is also less emotional. Just listen to a priest or a minister. The latter tends to speak with more passion.

But, it does not matter, no religion is better or worse than others. All religions are man made and flawed.

Catholicism has pedigree because it goes back to the Apostolic age, that is all.

The Sola Scriptura folks think they have more pedigree because they claim not to have religion-------they have the Bible. If they only know how inaccurate the Bible is.

There is only God and God remains a mystery.

However, I am a Catholic because the faith completes my human condition and enhances the spirit.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:25 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The Catholics I know here in my little town are the salt of the earth.
Well, good for you, pcamps! A positive thought about the people you share daily life with in the midst of a lot of "Are not!" "Are too!".

Love it.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
However, I am a Catholic because the faith completes my human condition and enhances the spirit.
That's a very legitimate reason for you to be Catholic. I often tell people who ask me how on earth I could be a Mormon, that I'm a Mormon because its teachings give meaning to my life and make me a better person than I would otherwise be. Seriously, I simply don't get all of the denominational bashing that goes on in City-Data.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-19-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM

9,745 posts, read 6,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's a very legitimate reason for you to be Catholic. I often tell people who ask me how on earth I could be a Mormon that I'm a Mormon because its teachings give meaning to my life and make me a better person than I would otherwise be. Seriously, I simply don't get all of the denominational bashing that goes on in City-Data.
I agree.

And LDS is cool. I see the amazing temple from the Washington DC beltway on a regular basis and I am inspired by God.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:35 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,678,277 times
I like what Bishop Sheen said. "Most people who hate the Catholic Church do not know what it is, I would hate it too if I believed what they think it is, but only a few hate the church when they find out the truth about the church." I probably did not quote him exactly but you get his message.

I think what Keating did was wise. Why let people read lies about the church when one can correct them. A smart thing to do. You can ask questions and debate at Catholic answers so I think it's a good place to send people. All religions should be open to debate, etc. Is it a perfect place? NO, but you will get a good overview of the faith.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM

535 posts, read 795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I like what Bishop Sheen said. "Most people who hate the Catholic Church do not know what it is, I would hate it too if I believed what they think it is, but only a few hate the church when they find out the truth about the church." I probably did not quote him exactly but you get his message.

I think what Keating did was wise. Why let people read lies about the church when one can correct them. A smart thing to do. You can ask questions and debate at Catholic answers so I think it's a good place to send people. All religions should be open to debate, etc. Is it a perfect place? NO, but you will get a good overview of the faith.
I agree it is certainly not OK to bash Catholics. As for Karl Keating, my good Catholic friend Mariam has heard him talk and is not overly impressed. She forwarded something to me which has several of his stances. I apologize for some of the words which are strong. The bulleted points are each about Karl Keating though his name is not mentioned in a couple of them. The information comes from a six hour video debate, January 1987.
Quote:
Keating, I am informed, only agrees to debate selected speakers, on the condition that he opens and closes such meetings. (Former Dominican priest, Richard Bennett of 26 years, once told me this is why he
won't debate him, yet James White has repeatedly challenged Mr. Keating to a debate, only to be constantly shunned.)
  • Holds to the heresy that people can get to Heaven without believing in Jesus.
  • He stated that the Bible was a dry and unmoving book in many parts. He even said that it was a dead book.
  • Keating believed only the Apostle John understood his writings to be inspired. Peter's mention of Paul's Epistles as being Scripture had to be pointed out by Ruckman (2 Pet. 3:14-16.)
  • Keating said something that I have heard priests say before, that their official catechism has been lousy in recent years; hence why so many have left their church and go elsewhere.
  • Keating thinks that Jesus wanted people to identity Himself with a literal physical Church building or institution.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
People convert from Protestant to Catholics and the opposite is also true.

Protestants gain more converts by its simplicity. It just takes an instant to be a Protestant and it is based on emotions. Catholicism is more dogmatic and traditional. It is also less emotional. Just listen to a priest or a minister. The latter tends to speak with more passion.

But, it does not matter, no religion is better or worse than others. All religions are man made and flawed.

Catholicism has pedigree because it goes back to the Apostolic age, that is all.

The Sola Scriptura folks think they have more pedigree because they claim not to have religion-------they have the Bible. If they only know how inaccurate the Bible is.

There is only God and God remains a mystery.

I hope that statement is made out of ignorance and not malice. It's not true, of course.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM

505 posts, read 477,253 times
Quote:
OK, lets take the opportunity to do some teaching:

Catholics are allowed to ask God for forgiveness. However, confession is encouraged for very serious offenses. No different than a Protestant going to his minister to discuss a serious issue.

The sins are forgiven by God, not the priest.

Lastly, this is religion and all religions are different from each other. There is no such thing as "my religion is better than yours".

Hope that helps.
A little late with this post but better late...

Julian- much thanks for the information! You have increased my knowledge.
Also, this is very good news! I have always wondered if our brother and sister Catholics had their sins forgiven- this clears that up. I have many, many Catholic relatives. God bless you for your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or