Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Some may have discerned that I'm an atheist.

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat distressed at the overt bashing of the Roman Catholic Church that seems to come from a number of fundamentalist believers. I went to a Catholic school even though I was not Catholic, for 7 out of of my 12 school years. I have seen some very good aspects of both the clergy and some of the nuns that I had as teachers.

There is much that I do not like about the Catholic Church, however I see a persistent bashing of their clergy, implying that they are all sexual perverts, and there is significant amount of bashing of the Roman Catholic belief system.

My question is, why do fundamentalist feel that they are better then Catholics, and having to significantly berate the Catholic faith?

Are you not all Christians?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 PM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
you just found this out, thats stuffs been going on for 2000+ yrs. It goes both ways and neither are victims in this very old argument. Its more that just the catholics and fundamentalist, yeah Protestants too...haha

Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Catholicism can lay legitimate claim to being the original (oldest) form of organized Christianity.

And every contender/wannabe/break-away organization wants to take shots at the champ.

So far, it's successfully outnumbered/out-pointed the contenders/pretenders but they keep slugging away, hoping to land a haymaker.

With Francis at the helm now, and witnessing the great press he's getting, the threatened ones (fundamentalists and the Catholic Establishment) are worried sick - for different, but understandable reasons.

Pope Frankie seems to be a Man For The Age - and the combined, albeit-fractured opposition has nobody even close to his weight class.

Watch for Catholicism's numbers to grow dramatically during his papacy (long may it be).

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat distressed at the overt bashing of the Roman Catholic Church that seems to come from a number of fundamentalist believers. I went to a Catholic school even though I was not Catholic, for 7 out of of my 12 school years. I have seen some very good aspects of both the clergy and some of the nuns that I had as teachers.

There is much that I do not like about the Catholic Church, however I see a persistent bashing of their clergy, implying that they are all sexual perverts, and there is significant amount of bashing of the Roman Catholic belief system.

My question is, why do fundamentalist feel that they are better then Catholics, and having to significantly berate the Catholic faith?

Are you not all Christians?
Catholic bashing is part of the doctrine of many Protestant Churches. I don't think is evil spirited, I think it simply has to do with the foundation of Protestantism. In other words the movement is related to perceived errors in Catholicism. It is the "they are doing it wrong" doctrine and to preach that doctrine there has to be some anti-catholic remarks.

Non-catholic students in Catholic schools are often more popular and accepted than the Catholic kids. There is very little proselytization and the non-Catholic kids feel welcomed. My youngest daughter best friend in in parochial school was a Protestant. This kid was there for education and she was active in her Protestant Church, however, she was extremely open minded and enjoyed the religion class quite a bit.

BTW, my kids studied all religions in religious education including Judaism and Muslims.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM

183 posts, read 192,739 times
The Fish Mitre
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Dagon, the sun-fish, clearly displayed with fish attire and mitre.

Cybele, the mystery goddess of Asia Minor and Syria, with an Episcopal mitre on her head.
Mitres are universally used in Catholicism by popes, cardinals and bishops. There is no Christian origin for this symbol. The mitre has its origin in the ancient mysteries of the East.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 PM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholic bashing is part of the doctrine of many Protestant Churches. I don't think is evil spirited, I think it simply has to do with the foundation of Protestantism. In other words the movement is related to perceived errors in Catholicism. It is the "they are doing it wrong" doctrine and to preach that doctrine there has to be some anti-catholic remarks.

Non-catholic students in Catholic schools are often more popular and accepted than the Catholic kids. There is very little proselytization and the non-Catholic kids feel welcomed. My youngest daughter best friend in in parochial school was a Protestant. This kid was there for education and she was active in her Protestant Church, however, she was extremely open minded and enjoyed the religion class quite a bit.

BTW, my kids studied all religions in religious education including Judaism and Muslims.
Trying to do that with my own kids, I want them to study all three and even points of views of
atheism .

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
People need to point their fingers at something to make themselves feel better and holier.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat distressed at the overt bashing of the Roman Catholic Church...
I'd be more distressed with most of the evil West falling in love with Pope Francis or the Catholic Church.

The true Church of Christ should be more or less hated by the enemies of Christ like Jesus was beaten and killed. Like the Early Christian were. Not to say the Church has to undergo persecution. But if all the enemies of the Church love the Church its probably a sign the Church sold out to them.

This is true religion. This is true Christianity. This is a young man that has allowed Christ to enter into him and he praises the Trinity with this gift of voice he has. Pater Noster is Latin for "Our Father" or Our Lord."

I don't understand the language he's singing in but I presume its the Our Father Prayer said in a song and to music. That's my guess anyways.

Friar Alessandro - Pater Noster - YouTube

Praise to Our Lady.

Friar Alessandro - Ave Maria - YouTube

The Devil can and does quote scripture. The Devil would never pray the rosary or honor Our Lady or Our Lord in such a way musically. You can look for the seat of God outside the pages of the Bible.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I'd be more distressed with most of the evil West falling in love with Pope Francis or the Catholic Church.

The true Church of Christ should be more or less hated by the enemies of Christ like Jesus was beaten and killed. Like the Early Christian were. Not to say the Church has to undergo persecution. But if all the enemies of the Church love the Church its probably a sign the Church sold out to them.

This is true religion. This is true Christianity. This is a young man that has allowed Christ to enter into him and he praises the Trinity with this gift of voice he has. Pater Noster is Latin for "Our Father" or Our Lord."

I don't understand the language he's singing in but I presume its the Our Father Prayer said in a song and to music. That's my guess anyways.

Friar Alessandro - Pater Noster - YouTube

Praise to Our Lady.

Friar Alessandro - Ave Maria - YouTube

The Devil can and does quote scripture. The Devil would never pray the rosary or honor Our Lady or Our Lord in such a way musically. You can look for the seat of God outside the pages of the Bible.
The Friar can really sing! Better than Andrea!
And he does it for the glory of God.
The Ave Maria was incredible.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I became disillusioned with the Catholic church when they knowingly had pedophiles in charge of churches. If they assaulted kids, they would be moved to another parish to do it again. It may have been a small number, but even one was too many.

I don't believe that confessing one's sins will wash them away, some are just too awful.

If they had to keep the priests, then send them to some isolated monastery where they could be supervised away from children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity