U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)

2,376 posts, read 4,304,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
We have had a number of great posts the last couple of days. Our previous elder said before he died in 2004 at the age of 89 that there is only one thing we MUST do to inherit eternal life and that is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and mind. That sounds like a simplistic statement, but it implies much more. Christ raised the bar, saying in matt. 5:[16] Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven [not ourselves].
[17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
[18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
[19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. [Incidentally Martin Luther said in his exposition of the book of Matthew that those who teach men that they can break one of those least commandments were NOT IN the kingdom of heaven.]
[20] For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

If we recive the Holy Ghost, which Peter said in Acts 5:32 that God gives as a gift to those who obey Him we have the power to carry out the strict commandments of Christ. We cannot please God if we have a carnal mind - we must have the Spirit of Christ to keep His commandments.
Christ said in Luke 17:[7] But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
[8] And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
[9] Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
One of my favorite passages is by Paul in Rom. 7:[5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
If we are filled with the richness of the Spirit of the Holy Ghost, acts of obedience (including loving the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and loving our neighbor as we love ourselves) fulfills all of God's commandments. Anything short of this is not serving in the newness of the spirit.
... but all fall short.

No one can claim to love God always, in all ways... no less love their neighbors the same way. No one... except the One, who we must put our faith in can make this claim. So...

I'm hangin' tight
with all my might
to the way that's bright
who's word is right
to the One who gives life.

Jesus
... just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:50 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,058,472 times
Dave_N_Tenn -
I would repeat again: Rom. 7:[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
To receive the Holy Spirit we MUST have an obedient mind,committed to serving our Lord and to keeping His commandments [john 14;15]. We will certainly slip up daily, but if we confess our sins, He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness [1 John 1:9]. If we do not have that Holy Spirit when we die, we are like the 5 foolish virgins who did not have oil in their lamps and were refused admission to the Great Wedding.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 AM

I'm with ya... so as Iron sharpens Iron

We must define Seving in the spirit
How to develop obedience
Whom to confess to, and how

Most Christians know this, can read and have Bibles. James 1:22

...just sayin'

Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 AM

5,133 posts, read 2,529,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Do you have that list from God? or is it where 2 or more are gathered in my name....
... just sayin'
The 'list', so to speak, from God is what is listed between the pages of Scripture.

One BIG identifying clue would be the one that has the united loving Christian brotherhood in the keeping of Jesus 'new' commandment of John 13 vs 34, 35.

MANY would come ' In Jesus' name ' but prove false [ Mt chap. 7 ], so just the gathering of two or more in Jesus' name would not necessarily mean they were proving true. Proving to be genuine 'wheat' Christians as opposed to being fake 'weed/tares' Christians.

The humble 'sheep' and haughty 'goats' will be judged on the basis of how they have treated or did not treat Jesus' spiritual ' brothers ' of Matthew 25 v 40.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The 'list', so to speak, from God is what is listed between the pages of Scripture.

One BIG identifying clue would be the one that has the united loving Christian brotherhood in the keeping of Jesus 'new' commandment of John 13 vs 34, 35.

MANY would come ' In Jesus' name ' but prove false [ Mt chap. 7 ], so just the gathering of two or more in Jesus' name would not necessarily mean they were proving true. Proving to be genuine 'wheat' Christians as opposed to being fake 'weed/tares' Christians.

The humble 'sheep' and haughty 'goats' will be judged on the basis of how they have treated or did not treat Jesus' spiritual ' brothers ' of Matthew 25 v 40.
but who can see into anothers heart? No one.

If we assume people of good will who gather in the name of Jesus are doing so... then church is when 2 or more are gathered in his name... of any denomination. Is it not also stated that three are better than two? God does not provide a "list" as stated. People get things wrong so they need pastors to lead. Pastors fail so we need elders. Elders fail so we need congregational oversight.
Congregations need churches to lean and be accountable to the word. All need God and the grace which Jesus gives us.

Church is His bride and we should treat her as such... with love, reverence and care... but She gets it wrong a lot.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
but who can see into anothers heart? No one.

If we assume people of good will who gather in the name of Jesus are doing so... then church is when 2 or more are gathered in his name... of any denomination. Is it not also stated that three are better than two? God does not provide a "list" as stated. People get things wrong so they need pastors to lead. Pastors fail so we need elders. Elders fail so we need congregational oversight.
Congregations need churches to lean and be accountable to the word. All need God and the grace which Jesus gives us.

Church is His bride and we should treat her as such... with love, reverence and care... but She gets it wrong a lot.

Great posts by you and Matthew 4:4.

Mamy protestan denominations teach that every believer receives the Holy Spirit. But in Acts 5:32, Peter says that God gives the gift of the Holy Ghost to those who obey Him. John says in 1 John 2:[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. It is my opinion that if we do not have an obedient mind, with the Holy Spirit richly abiding in our soul at the time of our death, we are likely to be cast into outer darkness, as was the lot of the man who did not have on a wedding garment and was unprepared to enter into the great wedding feast.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,414,140 times
Default What denomination was Jesus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Dave_N_Tenn -
I would repeat again: Rom. 7:[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
To receive the Holy Spirit we MUST have an obedient mind,committed to serving our Lord and to keeping His commandments [john 14;15]. We will certainly slip up daily, but if we confess our sins, He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness [1 John 1:9]. If we do not have that Holy Spirit when we die, we are like the 5 foolish virgins who did not have oil in their lamps and were refused admission to the Great Wedding.
[second underline mine] I seem to read such a fine line here between which came first - obedience as a way to receive the Holy Spirit, or the Holy Spirit as a way to walk in obedience?

The gift of the Holy Spirit -- is truly a gift and not the result of our own power to gain either through obedience, or keeping commandments. I believe that it is only through the power of the Holy Spirit within us that we can be obedient. Any other obedience is by works in our own power and gains us nothing but, perhaps, the praise and admiration of men for the good we do. That, too, is worthless in the end. Once salvation takes place, it is the Holy Spirit who works in us and through us to sanctify us. Sanctification is His job, not ours. Ours is to yield to His will, putting Him first in all we do.

As for denominations, they are of man's making, evidence of the unquenched desire to know God, to build that tower again. Some like to have detours and stopping points along the way, sort of cafeteria style. You might call it the "scenic route". it is along this road that they lose the way and begin to devise their own rules.

I believe that as long as we are unified on the important and essential core Truths -- the Triune God,
and His accomplished work on the cross, the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, and have an unwavering faith that produces good fruit, we are one, regardless of whether we say the Lord's Prayer during services, drink wine or grape juice at Communion, or have varying forms of church government or any other traditional differences. No doubt many individual Catholics, Protestants, Baptists -- pick whatever denomination you wish-- can and do have the Holy Spirit. That alone should tell us that God looks on the heart; the denomination is just an external "dressing", if you will.

I always like to ask, with such a question about denominations, "what denomination was Jesus?"

[thanks to everyone for such thoughtful, often inspiring, posts!]

Last edited by southward bound; 11-01-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Southward bound -
Many thanks for your comments. You are absolutely right that if we do not have the Holy Spirit abiding in our soul, we are not able to be obedient to our Lord and Savior. Many denominations preach that EVERY believer receives the Holy Spirit, but Peter said in Acts 5:32 God gives the Holy Ghost as a gift to those who OBEY Him. If we do not commit ourselves to follow the words of Jesus in John 14:[15] If ye love me, keep my commandments; and [21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Jesus said in Luke 17:[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
We have a duty to keep His commandments, but we have nothing of which to boast since any good works we do are done in and through us by the spirit of the living Christ. We are truly saved by faith and the spirit of the Holy Ghost must remain in us until death if we are to be saved. See Heb. 10:[36] For ye have need of patience, that, AFTER ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,414,140 times
I think, also, that we must be careful to distinguish to whom Jesus was speaking when he reminded them of His commandments. The disciples and early followers did not yet have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, so instruction to obey Him and keep His commandments was different and specific for them at that particular time. The did have to obey as best they could, according to His teachings, in their own power.

The indwelling of believers by the Holy Spirit did not happen until Pentecost.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think, also, that we must be careful to distinguish to whom Jesus was speaking when he reminded them of His commandments. The disciples and early followers did not yet have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, so instruction to obey Him and keep His commandments was different and specific for them at that particular time. The did have to obey as best they could, according to His teachings, in their own power.

The indwelling of believers by the Holy Spirit did not happen until Pentecost.
Good point, but I believe when Jesus said in Matt.7:[24] Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: [25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. [26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: [27] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it. He appears to have been saying these words for His followers through all ages, as He said in the 2nd part of the Great Commission in Matt. 28:[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. This part of His teaching has been greatly omitted by the majority of Protestant denominations which say salvation is by faith alone. Whereas James made it very clear that faith without works is dead being alone. Incidentally this is stressed by evangelist Greg Laurie, whereas Billy Graham advised in one of his early newspaper articles that one of his corresponders, if she ever in her life had trusted Jesus as her Savior, she automatically would go on to inherit eternal life. But see Heb. 10:[36] For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity