U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

2,870 posts, read 4,397,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
If 2 or 3 are filled with the Spirit of the Holy Ghost, they are hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and will not desire anything that is not according to the will of God.
I personally believe that God, in His omniscience, knows the heart and mind of every person on this earth, and with His omnipotence makes it possible for that person to be able to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which gives Him the power to live a life that is pleasing to our God and His Son.
Jeremiah in the Old Testament said in Jer. 29:[13] And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
If we are not hungering and thirsting after righteousness, we are not given the Holy Spirit which makes it possible to obey the strict commandments of Christ. He said in Luke 17:[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
When we have followed His commandments, we have nothing of which we can boast, since it is the Spirit of the Holy Ghost which is working in and through us.
I'm in total agreement with hunger and thirst... but we will never be able to achieve
Quote:
and will not desire anything that is not according to the will of God.
Can't be done by anyone.

Each of us, both believer and non believer, have the Holy Spirit. The non believer feels the Spirit externally and the believer has the Spirit internally... both hunger and thirst. The Spirit leads us to Jesus who satisfies that hunger and thirst. However hunger and thirst is the weakness of the flesh which we must renew, refresh, and be re-fed a lot. Righteousness is not possible Romans 3:9-20 for no one... but we should never quit hungering and thirsting for Jesus. That right there is the work of the Holy spirit. Romans 3 puts all of this in perspective for me.

...just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm in total agreement with hunger and thirst... but we will never be able to achieve Can't be done by anyone.

Each of us, both believer and non believer, have the Holy Spirit. The non believer feels the Spirit externally and the believer has the Spirit internally... both hunger and thirst. The Spirit leads us to Jesus who satisfies that hunger and thirst. However hunger and thirst is the weakness of the flesh which we must renew, refresh, and be re-fed a lot. Righteousness is not possible Romans 3:9-20 for no one... but we should never quit hungering and thirsting for Jesus. That right there is the work of the Holy spirit. Romans 3 puts all of this in perspective for me.

...just sayin'
Dave,
Many denominations teach that everyone who believe in Christ as the Son of God receives the Holy Spirit. But Peter says in Acts 5:32 that God gives the Holy Ghost to them that OBEY Him.
If we truly repent and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we then become able to overcome Satan and resist willful premeditated sins. Without that Holy Ghost, we continue as servants of sin.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 AM

17,781 posts, read 10,839,495 times
Quote:
Dave,
Many denominations teach that everyone who believe in Christ as the Son of God receives the Holy Spirit. But Peter says in Acts 5:32 that God gives the Holy Ghost to them that OBEY Him.
If we truly repent and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we then become able to overcome Satan and resist willful premeditated sins. Without that Holy Ghost, we continue as servants of sin.
And if we receive it and resist it, we lose it. God is not stupid, man is. Obedience includes being in harmony not spread throughout diverse groups with their own teachings, including "denominations" are OK.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Dave,
Would you point me in the direction of someone who
Quote:
become able to overcome Satan and resist willful premeditated sins.
all the time?

All fail... no one is righteous not one of us. We are filthy rags at our finest. Listen... we have good people of all faiths, I'm not the "accuser" but I do know even the best of us fail and fall short. We put on the armor fight the good fight and resist Satan’s attacks, but we will never win all the battles ‘cause we just aren’t that obedient and faithful. That’s just the way it is… BUT we should never stop trying to be obedient and faithful.

When we feel convicted during our failure then the Holy Spirit is still working on us, working to bring us back to Jesus … to overcome our “sin nature”. I believe, If your heart is never convicted, your perfect or you have rejected the Holy Spirit.

I know of one perfect person… and He loves me.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Would you point me in the direction of someone who all the time?

All fail... no one is righteous not one of us. We are filthy rags at our finest. Listen... we have good people of all faiths, I'm not the "accuser" but I do know even the best of us fail and fall short. We put on the armor fight the good fight and resist Satan’s attacks, but we will never win all the battles ‘cause we just aren’t that obedient and faithful. That’s just the way it is… BUT we should never stop trying to be obedient and faithful.

When we feel convicted during our failure then the Holy Spirit is still working on us, working to bring us back to Jesus … to overcome our “sin nature”. I believe, If your heart is never convicted, your perfect or you have rejected the Holy Spirit.

I know of one perfect person… and He loves me.

We all come short, but our goal should be to desire holiness since Heb. 12 says [14] Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
We should desire to follow the Spirit of Christ in all our actions and thoughts, and when we come short, we sould confess our sins as in 1 John 1:[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Our goal should be to obey the Spirit of Christ as in Luke 17: So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. When we do this we have nothing of which to boast since it should be theSpirit of the Holy Ghost working in and through us.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
We all come short, but our goal should be to desire holiness since Heb. 12 says [14] Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
We should desire to follow the Spirit of Christ in all our actions and thoughts, and when we come short, we sould confess our sins as in 1 John 1:[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Our goal should be to obey the Spirit of Christ as in Luke 17: So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. When we do this we have nothing of which to boast since it should be theSpirit of the Holy Ghost working in and through us.
No believer questions the authority and truth of the Gospel. However our ability to do as we're instructed escapes us... all of us.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,501,245 times
Quote:
No believer questions the authority and truth of the Gospel. However our ability to do as we're instructed escapes us... all of us.
Thank you for stating the truth with grace.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 AM

By the way, see Rev. 21:[27] And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
My take on various scriptures is that we MUST have a commitment to obey our Savior and maintain the Holy Spirit until death, as stated by our Savior [red letter words] in Rev. 2:[10] Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
We all make many missteps in our Christian walk, but I tend to agree with Dr. Michael Youseff of Leading the Way ministries that we must have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost at the time of our death or we will be like the 5 foolish virgins who gave the outward appearance of being righteous but did not have oil in their lamps [the Holy Ghost] and were not admitted into the wedding supper. This is a sobering thought to think that we could come up short right at the end of our life if we are careless about our commitment to our LORD and MASTER after we have made a commitment to follow Him as our Savior. See 1John 2:[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Also see the sermon summary for 11-24-2013 on the Bible Talk social group.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
By the way, see Rev. 21:[27] And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
My take on various scriptures is that we MUST have a commitment to obey our Savior and maintain the Holy Spirit until death, as stated by our Savior [red letter words] in Rev. 2:[10] Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
We all make many missteps in our Christian walk, but I tend to agree with Dr. Michael Youseff of Leading the Way ministries that we must have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost at the time of our death or we will be like the 5 foolish virgins who gave the outward appearance of being righteous but did not have oil in their lamps [the Holy Ghost] and were not admitted into the wedding supper. This is a sobering thought to think that we could come up short right at the end of our life if we are careless about our commitment to our LORD and MASTER after we have made a commitment to follow Him as our Savior. See 1John 2:[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Also see the sermon summary for 11-24-2013 on the Bible Talk social group.
Happy Thanksgiving... a football break

We must try and reconcile all verses given by our faithful loving God. We all fall short Romans 3:23

God’s Faithfulness Romans 3:3-4
3What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? 4Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar.

To believe we will enter the Kingdom clean and without prejudice ... to those I say, you have been deceived by your own pride born of self righteousness (See Matt 7;22). The Holy Spirit should convict and humbled us before a righteous God as and cry out for Jesus. Our tears should fall for our sinful and disobedience (see thief upon the cross for instruction). That moment, I believe, will test our faithfulness. For it is by faith you are saved.

Be ready for your confession. Matt 7 22-23 21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'

Within the theme of Thanksgiving we are given, Jesus the Bread of Life.
John 6 …38"For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40"For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

... just sayin'

Old 11-28-2013, 07:06 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,501,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_n_tenn View Post
happy thanksgiving... A football break

we must try and reconcile all verses given by our faithful loving god. We all fall short romans 3:23

god’s faithfulness romans 3:3-4
3what if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify god’s faithfulness? 4not at all! Let god be true, and every human being a liar.

To believe we will enter the kingdom clean and without prejudice ... To those i say, you have been deceived by your own pride born of self righteousness (see matt 7;22). The holy spirit should convict and humbled us before a righteous god as and cry out for jesus. Our tears should fall for our sinful and disobedience (see thief upon the cross for instruction). That moment, i believe, will test our faithfulness. For it is by faith you are saved.

Be ready for your confession. Matt 7 22-23 21"not everyone who says to me, 'lord, lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my father who is in heaven will enter. 22"many will say to me on that day, 'lord, lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons, and in your name perform many miracles?'

within the theme of thanksgiving we are given, jesus the bread of life.
John 6 …38"for i have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. 39"this is the will of him who sent me, that of all that he has given me i lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40"for this is the will of my father, that everyone who beholds the son and believes in him will have eternal life, and i myself will raise him up on the last day."

... Just sayin'
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity