U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 03:10 PM

473 posts, read 584,866 times

Advertisements

Refreshed an older post for those who haven't seen it before.

There were three renters living on a huge farm. They all had the same landlord. When they moved onto the farm the Landlord told them these things.--I am an honest and true man, I always keep my promises. Anything that you need--I will supply. Anything that you need done--I will do. All you have to do is keep my rules and remember my words.

Years go by. The Landlord then approaches his renters and tells them that He wants post holes dug on the farm and that they will be the ones to do this thing. They know that all they have to dig with are spoons. He has the backhoe and is the only one that can operate it.They also know that he doesn't lend it out. They aren't allowed to use His equipment.

The first renter immediately goes out and starts digging post holes with his spoon. He likes his landlord and wants to please him.He thought that he was being obedient. He had obeyed all the rules.

The second renter thinks to himself--my landlord is crazy--I'm not digging post holes with a spoon. Let him do it himself.

The third renter looks at his Landlord and says--I KNOW that you are a true and honest Landlord and that you keep your word. I know that you do not expect me to dig post holes with my spoon. You said in the beginning that you would do anything for me and that you would supply all that I need and do all that I ask, all I had to do was obey the rules. I have obeyed the rules. I know that you don't loan your backhoe. So what will you supply me with to get the job done?

The Landlord looks at his renter and says---You have remembered my words and KNOW that I am honest and true. Now my word will work for you. I always keep my promises. I will dig the post holes with my backhoe FOR you. In the beginning I supplied you with the tools to do anything that you needed done. For I had given you my WORD----DID YOU NOT DIG THE POST HOLES?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,728,778 times
Interesting parable. Not spoken by Jesus, of course ...

Parables are meant to teach lessons, same as Aesop's Fables. No, parables are NOT literally true, despite what some Christians say.

To be truthful, I find myself wondering about your constructed parable as you state here.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM

183 posts, read 134,511 times
Parables are not intended to teach everyone, Jesus used parables to keep the blind in the dark.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM

17,724 posts, read 8,879,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
DID YOU NOT DIG THE POST HOLES?
The depth of your post holes (understanding) is the most important factor in the stability of your fence (knowledge).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity