Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Whatever word we choose to use, I don't believe it can be "resurrected." If we use the word "resurrected," it clearly implies that the state of the body after being resurrected is not a permanent one. I think we can all agree that when we are resurrected, we will never again be subject to death. If Lazarus was again subject to death after Christ miraculously brought him back from the dead, the whole concept of our eventually receiving resurrected bodies loses its meaning.
The confusion about resurrection is the direct result of our carnal and physical perspective. It is clear that our connection to (nay . . . obsession with ) our physical body as the locus of our personhood is too powerful to break. We are NOT physical beings with physical bodies. We are spiritual beings temporarily inhabiting physical bodies as the wombs for the development and maturation of our embryo Spirits. Once this body dies . . . we are born again as Spirit . . . as Christ was. THAT is the true and only resurrection . . . NOT a physical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 PM

535 posts, read 966,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The confusion about resurrection is the direct result of our carnal and physical perspective. It is clear that our connection to (nay . . . obsession with ) our physical body as the locus of our personhood is too powerful to break. We are NOT physical beings with physical bodies. We are spiritual beings temporarily inhabiting physical bodies as the wombs for the development and maturation of our embryo Spirits. Once this body dies . . . we are born again as Spirit . . . as Christ was. THAT is the true and only resurrection . . . NOT a physical one.
There's something in the way you said that which sounds almost naughty.
I agree with what you say. I'm sure you're much younger than me, I just turned 71 last month. I need a new body!!! I've spent so many thousands of dollars on things to keep me looking younger the national debt pales in comparison. My face looks like the Sahara desert, and I emailed Pond's for a refund on all those tubs of cold cream I've purchased over the years. Now, I use Bondo.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Once this body dies . . . we are born again as Spirit . . . as Christ was. THAT is the true and only resurrection . . . NOT a physical one.
Gotta disagree with you on that, Mystic. I believe we will be physically resurrected... as Christ was. That's not to say that our resurrected bodies will be mortal. They will not. They will be immortal and perfect in every regard.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,150 times
Doctors can resuscitate for only so long after death but Lazarus was dead for four days and began to stink. Mere resuscitation? I hardly think so.

JN 11:39 "Jesus said, You take away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, said unto Him, Lord, by this time he stinks: for he had been dead four days.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Doctors can resuscitate for only so long after death but Lazarus was dead for four days and began to stink. Mere resuscitation? I hardly think so.
No, not mere resuscitation. But if you say Lazarus was resurrected, you have to admit that he either died a second time or is still alive. If he died a second time, what's to prevent any of us to die a second time once we're resurrected? The story of Lazarus describes neither a resuscitation nor a resurrection.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
There's something in the way you said that which sounds almost naughty.
I agree with what you say. I'm sure you're much younger than me, I just turned 71 last month. I need a new body!!! I've spent so many thousands of dollars on things to keep me looking younger the national debt pales in comparison. My face looks like the Sahara desert, and I emailed Pond's for a refund on all those tubs of cold cream I've purchased over the years. Now, I use Bondo.
LOL. Actually you are younger than me and younger than my wife.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Gotta disagree with you on that, Mystic. I believe we will be physically resurrected... as Christ was. That's not to say that our resurrected bodies will be mortal. They will not. They will be immortal and perfect in every regard.
1COR 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

1COR 15:37 And that which you sow, you sow not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

1COR 15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

1COR 15:43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

1COR 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
1COR 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
1COR 15:37 And that which you sow, you sow not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
1COR 15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
1COR 15:43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
1COR 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
You beat me to the punch, gary . . . I was about to post this verse. It is too easily bypassed and ignored in favor of our obsession with retaining our physical bodies. This physical world and all that goes with it is discarded (as after-birth) at our death when we are born again as Spirit. When God slaps our metaphorical spiritual behind at our rebirth . . . He will hit nothing physical . . . but I bet the panorama of infinity will be indescribably fabulous.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No, not mere resuscitation. But if you say Lazarus was resurrected, you have to admit that he either died a second time or is still alive. If he died a second time, what's to prevent any of us to die a second time once we're resurrected? The story of Lazarus describes neither a resuscitation nor a resurrection.
As far as the eternal meaning [not physical] of resurrection goes, it would not matter how many times a person lived physically because Jesus said, JN 11:26 "And whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die [spiritually]." Why? Because He is the resurrection from spiritual death unto life.

I know what your saying but I maintain it depends on the context of where you use resurrection. As I said on an earlier post Jesus uses resurrection in the present tense to show that life in Him is the resurrection from spiritual death. Personally, I have no problem in understanding resurrection in two ways and in fact I am blessed with what I am saying but I don't insist that others see it the same. I am only sharing what I believe God shared with me but do not insist.

This life He gives is the resurrection. Not to be confused with the last day resurrection which is in the future. Therefor, I think Jesus wants us to understand that in Him we are resurrected first and foremost in soul and spirit and then with immortally at death or at His return. Resurrection is not just about the body.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
You have TWO natures in this life, afterwards only ONE.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity