U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,906,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There are those who have delusions of grandeur, thinking or believing that they are on a divine mission.
It interferes with their ability to think clearly; not knowing the differences between reality and fantasy.

"Many believe and say things that are extremely bizarre in the name of God."
Without a doubt - but again - those "who call things which are not as though they are" are the seed of Abraham (and of God). Hebrew 4:17

So Christ tells you, "Say to this mountain, "be removed, and cast into the sea' and it shall be done." Or, "whatsoever you ask in My name, it shall be done of My Father in heaven".

Scripture itself tells us that that which is not of faith is...sin! So people living in the natural - normal - world are not the people of God. Christians are not supposed to live normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 AM

376 posts, read 324,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
There is something about religion that makes people lose their minds. I think the ingredient that does it is dread fear, fear of death, fear of God, fear of demons, fear of punishment. That's it. That is the common denominator in all of the twisted ways that religion plays out in real life circumstances. Religious delusions are often very dangerous.
Teenage Girl Crucified In France 'To Expel Demons'
Many people just look for excuses to be cruel. For some it's religion. Other like to burn houses of people because they have a certain skin color. Others assault fans of another sports club. Etc.
In many cases it's not even the people themselves but their leaders that brainwash them. Just look back at the history with it's many wars. You really think the average citizen would like to go to war?

Same for religion I think. Most people love to flock together and feel superior. Most people also like leaders that think for them. Such people are led astray quite easily.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,558,529 times
I see this as a chicken and egg question - which came first, the religion or the craziness? Crazy people may flock to religion only because as their psychological world is breaking, with the functioning of every-day life crumbling all around them, the world idealized from eternity in the church offers greater stability. Many insane asylums of the 15th and 16th centuries were run by monks and people actually got better. This doesn't justify religious people acting like fools or spiritual people functioning like crazy people. But there is not causality. Every time I throw a rock at a window, it doesn't break. Every time you hear of a person linked with spirituality doing heinous things doesn't call for a damnation of the spiritual aspects of life. I think true spirituality offers a framework of sanity for those seeking peace. I'm thinking of the peace of mind embraced by Buddhist monks, the pacificism of the Amish and Mennonite people, and the comfort taken in the rituals of the Eastern Orthodox mass. There is broad criticism of the whole organization of religion without looking at the outlying people within the religious institutions creating havoc. I see this merely as a way for how evil masquerades as good with the corollary, evil abounds when good people don't speak up.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,906,156 times
All this is well and good if "religion" was just a means to keep people in order - well, that's exactly what it is.

You see, any type of law will just squeeze the rebellion to the surface in people. The more you constrain them, the more they pop. That's why scripture says the letter kills. There's no relationship with a set of rules - that's just slavery.

But enter God - the real One, not what is easily formed in our minds from life experiences. Not the one you see when you take your dad and other men you've known, add your emotional canvas and what you think is a rational framework for someone that calls himself/herself god.

He's different than what we're seeing in the world today, and almost all the results from the pulpit are missing the mark as well. Sometimes it's lost in translation (figuratively and literally), and other times the preacher graduated from seminary but never got his/her anointing from God. Either way, what we form in our minds is defective, and then we become off balance.

What enters our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. We need a living, breathing relationship with the Real Deal.

Last edited by little elmer; 10-18-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,767,037 times
Well thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts in this thread. I was not setting out to say belief in God makes people crazy. I was just saying RELIGION tends to lead people to a lot of craziness because so much within religion is just stuff made up by men and not given by the Holy Spirit of truth. That has to be the reason why people do crazy stuff under the banner of religion. I realize humans are weak and that they are all seeking truth and trying to find their way through this world. Lord have mercy on us all, that's my motto.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM

400 posts, read 452,975 times
When I read the title of your thread on the forum board I thought, "Yes, another one Crazy for Jesus like me." Then, when I read your post I thought, "Oh no, she's not crazy about Jesus." Now, I'm beginning to get it through my thick skull that Jesus isn't your beef, but religion is. Correct? If I am and you don't mind me asking, "Did something happen to make you feel that way?" Please, don't take my question as some personal attack, I'm just curious.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 25 days ago)

2,425 posts, read 4,320,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
the true trinity of religion:
Guilt
Fear
Shame

religion makes you feel:
Guilty of your current condition
Shame of your past
Fear of your future.
or maybe it's

conviction
respect
repentance

your faith makes you feel:

conviction in your heart
repentant for your wrong doing
respect for God's loving control

Slightly more positve view of your equation.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM

198 posts, read 210,066 times
II Tim 1:7- For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of love, power, and of a sound mind.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,540,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So Christ tells you, "Say to this mountain, "be removed, and cast into the sea' and it shall be done." Or, "whatsoever you ask in My name, it shall be done of My Father in heaven".
Scripture itself tells us that that which is not of faith is...sin! So people living in the natural - normal - world are not the people of God. Christians are not supposed to live normally.
Jesus was Not talking about a literal mountain, but that mountain-like obstacles can be over come.

Just as Jesus was Not advocating self-mutilation at Matthew 5 vs 29,30. Jesus was stressing metaphorically being willing to ' cut out ' of one's life anything spiritually harmful to one's spiritual life style. Such as: ' cut out ' or ' remove ' what is out of harmony with Philippians 4 v 8; Galatians 5 vs 22,23.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,540,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Well thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts in this thread. I was not setting out to say belief in God makes people crazy. I was just saying RELIGION tends to lead people to a lot of craziness because so much within religion is just stuff made up by men and not given by the Holy Spirit of truth. That has to be the reason why people do crazy stuff under the banner of religion. I realize humans are weak and that they are all seeking truth and trying to find their way through this world. Lord have mercy on us all, that's my motto.
But, what kind of RELIGION [ James 1 v 27 ] ?____________

Jesus taught there is false or myth religion such as what the religious leaders were teaching outside of Scripture but teaching that their customs were Scripture.- Mark 7 vs 1-7,13; Matthew 15 v 9

Jesus felt pity for the people because of being skinned by false spiritual shepherds.
Jesus forewarned us that fake ' weed/tares ' Christians would be with us until the harvest time. The ' harvest time ' or the coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32.
'Many' would come in Jesus' name but prove false according to Matthew chapter 7.
Gospel writer Luke also wrote that false shepherds would continue in the world at Acts 20 vs 29,30.

Jesus taught ' religious truth ' -John 17 v 17 - using corresponding Scriptures to base his teachings.
It's the ' banner of false religion ' which can oppress, and as Ecclesiastes 7 v 7 says oppression can even drive even a wise person into madness......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or