Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM

473 posts, read 821,823 times

Advertisements

Have you ever went to a church that before they would let you become a member, you had to be baptized AGAIN into their CHURCH?
I have and it's something that I absolutely refuse to do. I've been baptized into Jesus Christ and belong only to His church and no other. I understand becoming a member of a church so that your name, address and phone number are on record to other members, etc. but not having to be baptized again.
What does everyone else think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever went to a church that before they would let you become a member, you had to be baptized AGAIN into their CHURCH?
I have and it's something that I absolutely refuse to do. I've been baptized into Jesus Christ and belong only to His church and no other. I understand becoming a member of a church so that your name, address and phone number are on record to other members, etc. but not having to be baptized again.
What church was that?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM

473 posts, read 821,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What church was that?
A branch of Southern Baptist. Some say they do it all the time if you change from a Church of Christ to Southern Baptist.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:39 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
If it's symbolic... I'm OK with it.

You portray "their" baptism almost as a form of control.... or akin to a cult vow. My wife and I re-baptized in the Jordan River so I'm good with the spiritual stirring that comes with some symbolism.

People renew their wedding vows all the time.... no one seems to have issues with that.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If it's symbolic... I'm OK with it.
I'm against it.....mainly because I get tired of climbing out of wet gowns and having to dry myself off.....unless it's 110 outside in which case I'll just wear the wet gown around until it's dry in about ten minutes.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm against it.....mainly because I get tired of climbing out of wet gowns and having to dry myself off.....unless it's 110 outside in which case I'll just wear the wet gown around until it's dry in about ten minutes.
I was Baptized in the Pecos River so I know about "drying off".

Alison Krauss-Down to the River to Pray - YouTube

Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
I belong to a large Southern Baptist church. If you have been baptized by immersion, you're good to go.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Yes the only time Christians need to be re-Baptized is if their walk with the Lord Jesus has wanned and these people went back to the world and ignored the Lord and His spirit .... Then there can be Christians who fell from grace and got cursed where all prayers to the Lord became un-answered and Jesus Spirit seen to be not there and faith for repentance was not there , or even illness came and relief never came , Then believers need to look at Water Baptism , for a point of Contact to Jesus for repentance .... Other than that church should not force people for members of the church to be re-baptized

Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
The renewal of baptismal promises is quite common in Catholicism. The priest walks among the pews and throws water droplets to the all the parishioners attending mass. At most, folks get a drop or two of Holy Water.

DIRECTIONS
V. Do you reject Satan?
R. I do.
V. And all his works?
R. I do.
V. And all his empty promises?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
R. I do.

Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?
R. I do.

V. God, the all-powerful Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and forgiven all our sins. May he also keep us faithful to our Lord Jesus Christ for ever and ever.

R. Amen.

With is instrument the priest throws water droplets:

And parishioners make the sign of the cross.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Well... since you're not considering converting to Mormonism, you don't have to worry. We require a new baptism of all converts. There is a reason for this beyond our desire to make people mad. We believe that baptism is a sacrament/ordinance that must be performed by someone who holds the God-given authority to do so. We believe that even Jesus Christ specifically sought out John the Baptist when He wanted to be baptized. Surely he would have been able to find someone near His home who would be willing to assist Him in getting baptized. But John held the necessary priesthood authority, so Jesus went to him. So anyway, that's why we require new converts to our Church to be re-baptized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity