U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times

Advertisements

There is something about religion that makes people lose their minds. I think the ingredient that does it is dread fear, fear of death, fear of God, fear of demons, fear of punishment. That's it. That is the common denominator in all of the twisted ways that religion plays out in real life circumstances. Religious delusions are often very dangerous.
Teenage Girl Crucified In France 'To Expel Demons'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:54 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,961,521 times
I guess you missed the part where it said

Quote:
Four former members of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, including the victim’s boyfriend, are accused of carrying out the week-long crucifixion of the Cameroonian teenager to expel ‘her demons’.

The church said it expelled the four accused members in 2010 and stressed that exorcism of this kind cannot be justified by any of its teachings, according to the International Business Times. The Seventh-Day Adventist Church is a U.S.-based millennialist Protestant church with more than 17 million members worldwide, according to its website.
Reading is fundamental honey.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 AM

183 posts, read 140,474 times
I fear nothing for I am grounded in the Word.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
It is interesting that the girl was bound by those trying to help, instead of loosed by the power and love of God. I believe that's what Heartsong was getting at.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 AM

1,078 posts, read 771,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
There is something about religion that makes people lose their minds. I think the ingredient that does it is dread fear, fear of death, fear of God, fear of demons, fear of punishment. That's it. That is the common denominator in all of the twisted ways that religion plays out in real life circumstances. Religious delusions are often very dangerous.
Teenage Girl Crucified In France 'To Expel Demons'
I sometimes wonder if Rev. 13:7 -...It was given power to wage war against God's holy people and to conquer them... applies to the official church/organized religion teaching of eternal torment. I can't think of a better way to demoralize believers. God is turned into a monster. I feared all of the above for decades. No wonder so many have fallen away and end up in institutions.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,875,699 times
the true trinity of religion:
Guilt
Fear
Shame

religion makes you feel:
Guilty of your current condition
Shame of your past
Fear of your future.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,446,553 times
Personally, I think that constant search for something to believe in and rely on can drive a person crazy. The "mad scientist" and the fundamentalist aren't that different to me. They're both too absorbed and off balance imo.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM

9,844 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Religion is best approached as a cultural value.

Fanatical ideas are not good.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Religion is best approached as a cultural value.

Fanatical ideas are not good.
The ones in history that were groundbreakers are the heroes of the faith, though. Abram was absolutely nuts to those around him - same for Noah. It seems it takes little to no faith to go along with the herd.

Try busting a covenant in two, and being called a devil - that would be Jesus, of course.

The problem of course is that those who break from the main stream and truly believe they are called, chosen, special, etc. can be whacky and not know it. The litmus test we have is fruits - are they abiding in the tenets of peace, love, and things that God has communicated as His nature.

Ancient Israel had those markers from David, Isaiah and others when Christ lived it out in front of them, but they were held under the influence of the Pharisees (the church of their day).

Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM

20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
There are those who have delusions of grandeur, thinking or believing that they are on a divine mission.
It interferes with their ability to think clearly; not knowing the differences between reality and fantasy.

"Many believe and say things that are extremely bizarre in the name of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or