U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,259,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Yes, they were ordered by the Maker, Father.
Baloney! The polite abbreviation is B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM

9,764 posts, read 6,726,032 times
oops wrong thread

sorry

Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
I has nothing to do with the fact that they were virgins per se, they were clean, undefiled.

What about the Israelite soldiers that were sick? what specifically?

Yes, they were ordered by the Maker, Father.
And you believe that makes it OK?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 PM

400 posts, read 452,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Actually, I think from what he posted in #88, he is Jehovah's Witness, a group generally considered a cult by most mainstream denominations. I'm not a denominationalist at all, but I long ago gave up trying to make any sense out of JH theology, if that is even what it can be called. I just don't know.
Me too. I can't make heads or tails out some, actually most of it. I must have some kind of passover mark on my door posts, for they don't come around here anymore. It could the GROUCHY DAY SLEEPER sign I put under the doorbell.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 PM

9,278 posts, read 5,491,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Me too. I can't make heads or tails out some, actually most of it. I must have some kind of passover mark on my door posts, for they don't come around here anymore. It could the GROUCHY DAY SLEEPER sign I put under the doorbell.
Yeah, I think this guy, if not JH, is just another button pusher without having put any scholarly effort into the process. I don't have any use for it, and won't respond further since it isn't helping him and he doesn't appear to have any desire to help anyone else.

With regard to why "nobody" wants to go to church (literally millions still do), there have to be at least a dozen relatively recent studies out there, some by individual denominations, some by the National Council of Churches--and I think for the most part they can't really pin anything down.

I quit after politics became the topic. When I first was saved and attended church, the overall theme coming from the pulpit was either "you need to find Jesus," or if you were saved, "you need to find a closer walk with Christ." In more recent years I've heard nothing but railing against sinners (quite different from, "you need to find Jesus") and, as I posted earlier, some churches are using Jesus as a lobbyist for political points. I plain got disgusted and found myself leaving church with anger in my heart. That doesn't honor God. So I read, and study, and worship privately. It lacks some of the emotional strength that can be provided when you find those of like mind, but then I'm never angry on Sunday over religious issues either!

Now the JH'ers don't come around here, but man the Mormons are working this area hard. I at least have respect for their lifestyles and some of their theology too. I'm just not much on the two types of members in their church--Temple members and Ward members--I think everyone of us stand on equal ground and allowing only some to enter the "holy of holies", so to speak, is not something I can adhere to (and I like coffee and a nightcap---that would make me--well it would actually "un"make me, with the Mormon faith).

Blessings.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,002,721 times
The author left off the most important cause of declining church membership - education and the all-too-slow death of superstition.

Insisting on the literal truth of the bible just makes it far easier to reject the entire thing. Seriously - Jonah in the belly of the whale. Burning bushes that talk (somebody needed meds that wouldn't be available for another 3000 years). The ark. There is not one single decent idea in the bible that needs belief in the supernatural. In fact most of the best parts of the bible have direct analogues in Buddhist philosophy.

Thus it is easier to dispense with the superstitious idea of a magical Sky Wizard who clearly DOES NOT watch and reward and punish.

Studies show that children raised in "religious" (lets call it what it really is, stone age superstition) households have far greater difficulty differentiating between fantasy and reality than children raised in rational households. Where rational is defined as NOT subscribing to cave-man fears of thunder and lightning.

The sooner xtianity and all other organized religions collapse, the better. We are privileged to be at the beginning of the dawning of an Age of Rationality, and unfortunate enough to be early enough to have to live through the death throes of the Age of Unreason.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:20 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,106,419 times
To be honest, I'm sick of these studies explaining why nobody goes to church anymore because they all say the same thing: Nobody goes to church anymore because of competition, overly sensitive people, the Christians aren't examples of Christ, Internet, Technology, etc. Let me break it down to the Top 3:

1. People-You're supposed to go to church for an individual relationship with Christ, not people. If you're going to let people keep you from getting to know Christ because they said something you didn't like, or they're not an example of Christ, then you might want to check yourself for reasons of going to church.

2. Judgmental-Judgmental people are not just in church, they're in your neighborhood, workplace, wherever you play or do business at. While I don't like judgmental people, I remember I have the right NOT to associate with them. People who don't go to church because they don't want to be around "judgmental Christians" are more of the problem than the supposed "judgmental believer"

3.Millennials-Millennials like to talk this rah-rah about how enlightened they are, how they can see through the nonsense of today's church, etc. when most of them want nothing more than the church to powder their behinds, not tell it like it is about sin, be welcoming of lifestyles that God's opposed to, etc. And let's be real, a lot of millennials don't know enough about God's word to study on their own. If Millennials don't want to be involved in the church because some churches actually preach the truth of God's word about sin, well....they can stay out of church. It's not like they will be/were missed anyway.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,903,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
To be honest, I'm sick of these studies explaining why nobody goes to church anymore because they all say the same thing: Nobody goes to church anymore because of competition, overly sensitive people, the Christians aren't examples of Christ, Internet, Technology, etc. Let me break it down to the Top 3:

1. People-You're supposed to go to church for an individual relationship with Christ, not people. If you're going to let people keep you from getting to know Christ because they said something you didn't like, or they're not an example of Christ, then you might want to check yourself for reasons of going to church.

2. Judgmental-Judgmental people are not just in church, they're in your neighborhood, workplace, wherever you play or do business at. While I don't like judgmental people, I remember I have the right NOT to associate with them. People who don't go to church because they don't want to be around "judgmental Christians" are more of the problem than the supposed "judgmental believer"

3.Millennials-Millennials like to talk this rah-rah about how enlightened they are, how they can see through the nonsense of today's church, etc. when most of them want nothing more than the church to powder their behinds, not tell it like it is about sin, be welcoming of lifestyles that God's opposed to, etc. And let's be real, a lot of millennials don't know enough about God's word to study on their own. If Millennials don't want to be involved in the church because some churches actually preach the truth of God's word about sin, well....they can stay out of church. It's not like they will be/were missed anyway.
chapter and verse commanding people to go to church, listen to a Pharisee speak. collect money and drive away in a Mercedes?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,221,589 times
only liberal ones are seeing declining attendance

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle4443228/

Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,167,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
chapter and verse commanding people to go to church, listen to a Pharisee speak. collect money and drive away in a Mercedes?
We all know that you rather quote your own chapter and verse, listen to your Pharisee , collect money through taxing the rich, and drive away in a Mercedes while yelling BIGOTRY and HATERS if they don't attend.

Sure ..... everybody should attend your church as long it's yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or