U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
 
5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Reputation: 9729

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread but has anybody mentioned this?

Let's be totally honest here. Don't people not go to church because frankly it's the most boring thing in the world to do and practically anything else is more interesting?

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone but that's my honest opinion.

The Methodist church that my mother took me to was like going to a funeral every Sunday. I couldn't imagine why people seemed to actually WANT to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM
 
588 posts, read 143,976 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh
I had a comment that this kind of thing does more dammage than good, but truth is truth . I cannot deny that.
I just feel we can worshipGOd IN OUR OWN TIME .... We dont have to goto Church and be around people we dont wanna see.......

God is ominous,he can be worshipped anywhere and at anytime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
God is ominous,he can be worshipped anywhere and at anytime
Yes he is, just ask the (former) residents of Sodom and Gomorrah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,415 posts, read 3,181,516 times
Reputation: 8270
never liked it as a child, liked it even less as an adult. Have no need or desire for the church experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,903,558 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Apologies, but I've never seen anyone make your point before, and/or that that approach is a negative. I've seen it done many times by others on this forum, with not a word of complaint.

Since the paragraphs/points were not numbered, that seemed the only way to link the original statements with related follow-up comments.

I thought it was clear and obvious, but my comments were directed only to Freak80. They were not intended as general statements to the community. I guess by the hand-swatting I should have done a personal message instead.

Maybe I shouldn't post here anymore. I contribute with good intention, but often sense a bit of hostility on the receiving end.
adios. We will pray for those who have such bitter souls and insist rejecting constructive criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,235,181 times
Reputation: 14605
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
I just feel we can worshipGOd IN OUR OWN TIME .... We dont have to goto Church and be around people we dont wanna see.......

God is ominous,he can be worshipped anywhere and at anytime
LOL, ainít that the truth! I think THE biggest reason people avoid church is, well... people. For those who are surrounded by people all day, everyday, and dealing with crap that come along with it, the last thing we want is to voluntarily subject ourselves to more of it on our day off. The smaller the church, the holier the huddle, the worse it is; at least with a mega church you can be more anonymous if you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,374 posts, read 12,124,717 times
Reputation: 16623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe I shouldn't post here anymore. I contribute with good intention, but often
sense a bit of hostility on the receiving end.
Well, I like what you have to say.
When you feel that way, tho, just take a break for a couple days.
Or if someone consistently bugs you ...place them on your Ignore List.
Life is supposed to be enjoyed, not always a battle, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
Reputation: 15051
It will not be long before the church in the USA will be like most of Europe. Most churches empty on Sunday, and any evidence of genuine Christianity will be hard to find. Not really a surprise, because Jesus said that the path to destruction is wide, and many will find it, but few will follow thepath to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Gettysburg, PA
1,617 posts, read 1,619,638 times
Reputation: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Maybe I shouldn't post here anymore. I contribute with good intention, but often sense a bit of hostility on the receiving end.
It's a very hostile forum. I rarely post here, generally only to comment on something neutral/positive. The negativity and assaults from other posters here is astounding!!!

I ***love*** going to church! The church I go to is growing very much. We are as a congregation thrilled about the growth the Lord Jesus has provided to us. It's just so wonderful to go to church to hear God's word spoken aloud, to pray as a congregation, sing hymns about how awesome and wonderful our dear Saviour is, to learn more about Christ, to really get how beautiful and lovely he is and how worthy of worship, of all the great and wonderful things that are attributed to him. Enough praises cannot be said, the words of man cannot describe the beauty, the loveliness of the Lord Jesus.

Ah, the church service is such an awesome time. I always feel so sad when the hour or so has passed. It is incredibly sad to me too when I don't get to go the next weekend because of work (I work every third weekend). I wish I lived in those times when the services lasted much longer; the pastors I listen to (and my own pastor) sometimes comment on the time and I'm like, stop worrying about the time darnnit! 150 years ago, the sermons lasted for at least like an hour or so, probably even longer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,696 posts, read 5,517,808 times
Reputation: 5377
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
It will not be long before the church in the USA will be like most of Europe. Most churches empty on Sunday, and any evidence of genuine Christianity will be hard to find. Not really a surprise, because Jesus said that the path to destruction is wide, and many will find it, but few will follow thepath to life.
Indeed.

If Christianity is gaining influence, it’s proof that the Holy Spirit is working in the world.

If Christianity is losing influence, it’s proof that Jesus was right about the “straight and narrow.”

In other words, you can’t lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top