Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 PM

88,163 posts, read 84,024,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread but has anybody mentioned this?

Let's be totally honest here. Don't people not go to church because frankly it's the most boring thing in the world to do and practically anything else is more interesting?

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone but that's my honest opinion.
It's not offensive. It's true--often. I grew up in one of the most boring churches in the USA. Sunday school was fun, but I got through the seemingly-endless sermon by staring at the minister until everything around his head turned dark and it was just floating in the air, talking. Still cracks me up to remember Reverend Gaston's white-haired head floating all by itself.

I now go to a church fairly regularly, one of the liberal denominations and inside of that, a weird little community of misfits. Some of the parts are boring, but not as much. I've gotten some spiritual growth out of it, but it's the community there and what is discussed that keeps it from being boring.

What is discussed is asking what can we do personally to make the world a more just place. If our church closes, I'm pretty sure most of the people there will find a way to keep living their beliefs, but not necessarily by attending another church. I am not sure I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity