U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 AM

183 posts, read 140,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Gosh even this atheist is not that harsh on him.

Deceiving others, robbing them of truth, stealing their wealth, blinding them of righteousness, depriving them of salvation, there is no greater evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 AM

376 posts, read 324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What are your thoughts on this article???
The author of the article seems to think a church is a building. That's true. It's the temple of the pagan sun goddess circe. Even the church layout and clercy is pagan to the core.
The Biblical "church" is a gathering of 2 or more people in the name of Christ.
By that definition this forum is a "church".
Discuss a verse with a friend at the kitchen table or a on bench in the park is a "church".
So the article is wrong "measuring church" by a head count in that building.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 AM

376 posts, read 324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Thats is a good idea, but most churches will say that is what their Sunday school or bible study is for even though it is still most of the time just listening to someone and if the 2 disagree its like the atmosphere gets really cold in a hurry. T
Most preachers don't really have a clue what they preach. They just read from a book. They talk about things they memorized at a seminary. There are several pastors on this forum and I must say their Scriptual knowledge is extremely shallow. They are able to copy and paste verses but are unable to grasp the big picture. That's why chats with them in the Sunday class grow cold very fast. They are unable to defend their views so anger rises fast.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Most preachers don't really have a clue what they preach. They just read from a book. They talk about things they memorized at a seminary. There are several pastors on this forum and I must say their Scriptual knowledge is extremely shallow. They are able to copy and paste verses but are unable to grasp the big picture. That's why chats with them in the Sunday class grow cold very fast. They are unable to defend their views so anger rises fast.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 AM

32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Deceiving others, robbing them of truth, stealing their wealth, blinding them of righteousness, depriving them of salvation, there is no greater evil.
Totally disagree with this statement. What was lost to man or stolen was his true identity, Osteen at least gives you some awareness of your value in the eyes of God. Sadly Christianity as we know it burdens us and condemns us worthless in the eyes of God, and robbed us of our true value to God,and for this reason alone it very understandable while many do not want to go church meetings anymore.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Totally disagree with this statement. What was lost to man or stolen was his true identity, Osteen at least gives you some awareness of your value in the eyes of God. Sadly Christianity as we know it burdens us and condemns us worthless in the eyes of God, and robbed us of our true value to God,and for this reason alone it very understandable while many do not want to go church meetings anymore.
A men.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 AM

Osteen teaches prosperity theology.

Read what the bible says about riches.

Riches as a blessing on earth is a byproduct of, not a result of.

The Father does not bless us all equally and not necessarily with financial blessings.

There is no doubt in my mind that Osteen is a money-changer.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,636,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To what end? Does knowing your "true identity" help you go to heaven? Is that even an option or a goal to you? Does the fact that Jesus died on the cross and rose again result in that?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,141,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
As a minister I agree with this comment. It is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum. I don't do cut and paste, don't say it has to be X and nothing else... for some of the more hardline minister's on here I am a heretic and a false preacher. If I want to be abused, I can go to a church council meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae
I think most people on the planet like interaction more than just sitting still and listening to someone talk AT them. I've suggested debate type classes where people can ask questions and have them answered by an authority. Something like these forums. A place with the preacher, elders and deacons where people interact with either opposing views or just questions that have been weighing on their minds. I have yet to get anyone in my church to listen. This type of thing would draw an interest from the people. What do you think?
Sheila I agree with you completely. I have suggested such a style at the church I pastor and they are not receptive to it. Personally I think we would all learn with interactive sermons, or challenging discussions after our service - just because I am the minister doesn't mean I have all the answers; ask me questions, enlighten me, teach me... just as I hope I do for you.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM

11,256 posts, read 11,273,591 times
SAAN forgot one very critical reason why people are leaving Christianity, or at least not attending church: they are disgusted with prosperity preachers bilking people with this "sow a $1000 seed" drivel. Every time you turn on a Christian channel there is some huckster like Mike Murdoch trying to grab some poor widow's social security check by promising her that check will make her millions if she just has the faith to trust God will grow it into a million dollars.

The prosperity gospel is so prevalent because it is a sure-fire money-maker: the promise these jerks pass off to ignorant/naive Christians is a future promise (God will make you rich) made on a present act ("Go to your phone right now and sow a $1000 seed. Put it on your credit card. Doesn't matter if you've only got $500 left. Trust that God will turn that $500 seed into 5 million"). And to boot they put this guilt trip on you, "Who are you to rob God of the tithes He demands from you?! Do you realize that stealing from God will send you to hell to burn for all eternity??" And so these poor ignorant Christians think, "I don't want to go to hell. Here, take very last dime I have." And these prosperity preachers laugh all the way to the bank while the poor ignorant Christians go without paying their water bill or medicines or food.

Honestly, these prosperity preachers should be locked up and the key thrown away. They are the worst scourge on Christianity that ever existed. And the incredible part is that scores of Christians defend them. "Touch not the Lord's anointed", they scream at you if you even question their practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or