U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,093,550 times

Advertisements

What does going to church having to do with the faith in any kind of a god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,746,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
As a minister I agree with this comment. It is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum. I don't do cut and paste, don't say it has to be X and nothing else... for some of the more hardline minister's on here I am a heretic and a false preacher. If I want to be abused, I can go to a church council meeting

Sheila I agree with you completely. I have suggested such a style at the church I pastor and they are not receptive to it. Personally I think we would all learn with interactive sermons, or challenging discussions after our service - just because I am the minister doesn't mean I have all the answers; ask me questions, enlighten me, teach me... just as I hope I do for you.
It great to see a minister here It also great to get input on this forum from a minister prospective.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 AM

9,292 posts, read 5,498,434 times
Default I think I might like your church

Quote:
As a minister I agree with this comment. It is one of the reasons I rarely post on this forum. I don't do cut and paste, don't say it has to be X and nothing else... for some of the more hardline minister's on here I am a heretic and a false preacher. If I want to be abused, I can go to a church council meeting

Sheila I agree with you completely. I have suggested such a style at the church I pastor and they are not receptive to it. Personally I think we would all learn with interactive sermons, or challenging discussions after our service - just because I am the minister doesn't mean I have all the answers; ask me questions, enlighten me, teach me... just as I hope I do for you.
RevRandy, I think I might like your church, and I say that as a licensed minister, a formerly frequent lay speaker repeatedly requested to speak on lay Sundays, and as a born again believer who awoke to the fact that God still speaks to us directly---and which turned me into being mostly disgusted with dogmatic, bible thumpers so that I haven't been a regular church attender for almost 20 years.

I have no use for a minister who has found the truth, but have great respect for those still seeking it.

Let me hear from you if you ever decide to lose your mind and come south of the border!!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM

400 posts, read 452,636 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
RevRandy, I think I might like your church, and I say that as a licensed minister, a formerly frequent lay speaker repeatedly requested to speak on lay Sundays, and as a born again believer who awoke to the fact that God still speaks to us directly---and which turned me into being mostly disgusted with dogmatic, bible thumpers so that I haven't been a regular church attender for almost 20 years.
I have no use for a minister who has found the truth, but have great respect for those still seeking it.
Let me hear from you if you ever decide to lose your mind and come south of the border!!!!!
You've both given me pause for thought. RevRandy, why do you think your flock is unresponsive to an interactive service? How the shepherd feeds his flock has become so entrenched in, what I guess is tradition, that to think outside the box can be, as you stated, considered heretical to both shepherds and the flock. I recently read an article about a Catholic priest who takes confession via smartphone and online. What a maverick. His concern? Being shut down.

Wardendresden, I hear where you're coming from. I considered bagging my ministry when I got into a church situation that was not a good fit for me. It was dead in so many ways. Thank God, a new door opened. The pastor at the church I'm at now is as much my mentor as my pastor. He says nothing is more exciting than a seeker becoming a new believer. It's the powder that keeps his fire burning. I consider myself fortunate for he often tells me, when we have a quiet moment, lol, that each day is a journey on a path with no end. He's never content to rest on his laurels or think he's reached the pinnacle of his walk.

Also, Wardendresden, I'd also like to apologize. When I first came on this forum a couple of weeks ago I mistakenly took one of your posts the wrong way.

It's refreshing to see a glimpse of the bigger picture.

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 10-19-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 AM

183 posts, read 140,474 times
Quote:

The answers are painful and the folks do not want to hear them. Seeking the mind of the Father requires a tremendous amount of effort, they are not willing.

Psalm 50:17
You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you.

Romans 1:28
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

2 Thessalonians 2:11
For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM

You might find this particularly interesting- and appropriate-

Ecclesiastes 10:2
A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 AM

32,238 posts, read 21,123,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
The answers are painful and the folks do not want to hear them. Seeking the mind of the Father requires a tremendous amount of effort, they are not willing.
Painful ?, Jesus said is yoke is easy and burden is Light. The pain is in letting go of our preconceived ideas of God being a demanding strict taskmaster that no one wants to hear. Dying to self, forsaking all, putting our hand to the plow are not painful experiences at all when properly understood. Why do we insist on presenting the way of life painful and burdensome ?.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Painful ?, Jesus said is yoke is easy and burden is Light. The pain is in letting go of our preconceived ideas of God being a demanding strict taskmaster that no one wants to hear. Dying to self, forsaking all, putting our hand to the plow are not painful experiences at all when properly understood. Why do we insist on presenting the way of life painful and burdensome ?.

Ecclesiastes 1:13
And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

NIV

I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind!

It is what it is.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness";

Proverbs 15:21
Folly brings joy to one who has no sense, but whoever has understanding keeps a straight course.

Proverbs 14:7
Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips.

Proverbs 14:6
The mocker seeks wisdom and finds none, but knowledge comes easily to the discerning.

Proverbs 14:5
An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.

Proverbs 14:9
Fools mock at making amends for sin, but goodwill is found among the upright.

1 Corinthians 1:21
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Psalm 119:98
Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies.

Proverbs 8:17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 AM

32,238 posts, read 21,123,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Ecclesiastes 1:13
And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

NIV

I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind!

It is what it is.
It is what you make it.

In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome 1 John 5:3. And to reiterate Jesus said HIS yoke is easy and HIS burden is Light.

I encourage all to guard your heart against the millstone which much of Christendom would burden you with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or