U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,315 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No, you are discussing killing someone at the command of God in year 2013.


I'm pointing out to others that you are ignorant and dismissive of the word of God.


God spoke, Moses followed direction, obedience.

It is nothing more than that.

As to the killing, the Father has the power of resurrection, the way he looks at life is much different than you do.

Further, you are not nearly as important as you think you are, clearly you are shallow and self-absorbed. In the grand scheme of life you are nothing, not even a blot.

The OT is riddled with killings, nothing new here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 6,086,833 times
Reputation: 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
I'm pointing out to others that you are ignorant and dismissive of the word of God.


God spoke, Moses followed direction, obedience.

It is nothing more than that.

As to the killing, the Father has the power of resurrection, the way he looks at life is much different than you do.

Further, you are not nearly as important as you think you are, clearly you are shallow and self-absorbed. In the grand scheme of life you are nothing, not even a blot.

The OT is riddled with killings, nothing new here.
And that in your mind makes it right? I think one of the commandments says thou shalt not kill. I don't believe it says thou shalt not kill except when I tell you to.

I bet you could be accepting of Holocaust also? No wonder people worry about fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
9,276 posts, read 5,489,845 times
Reputation: 4046
Default Jesus update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
So, if God gave you a direct order to kill, you would not follow God's order?
Shepherd, just a Jesus update---

Do you recall where He said, "You have heard it said------------------------, but I SAY UNTO YOU?"

Don't you think perhaps the one that most of believe was God incarnate might have placed a different directive in our lives? And if He did, shouldn't that put a different spiritual light on OT writings?

Because Jesus definitely changed the impact of Jewish tradition and writings about how people were supposed to treat one another.

Now if you don't believe Jesus was God manifest---well, that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:17 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,315 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And that in your mind makes it right? I think one of the commandments says thou shalt not kill. I don't believe it says thou shalt not kill except when I tell you to.

I bet you could be accepting of Holocaust also? No wonder people worry about fundamentalists.

OK, have the last word.

I am far from a fundamentalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:19 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,315 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Shepherd, just a Jesus update---

Do you recall where He said, "You have heard it said------------------------, but I SAY UNTO YOU?"

Don't you think perhaps the one that most of believe was God incarnate might have placed a different directive in our lives? And if He did, shouldn't that put a different spiritual light on OT writings?

Because Jesus definitely changed the impact of Jewish tradition and writings about how people were supposed to treat one another.

Now if you don't believe Jesus was God manifest---well, that's another story.


You do know that Jesus destroys the earth and it's inhabitants, right?

You do know that Christ is the Judge, right?

So when Jesus starts killing again, what will you say about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,096 posts, read 45,604,555 times
Reputation: 61713
I think the reason why Americans don't go to church anymore is that their parents don't make them. We move away and we don't go.
I live in the south, where the church going is still strong, but it is those who still live where they were raised who go to church.
I moved away from my family when I got married, and found it very easy to skip finding a new church without the threat of parental displeasure.
In my defense, I feel fine not going, since I have my religion with me, without a structured church. Now, I live in a new area where we don't know many people, so I might find a church for the social connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
 
3,763 posts, read 3,801,717 times
Reputation: 5198
The biggest reason people don't go to Church: it is because of the fact that Americans love fantasy football and Sunday is a huge sports day. No one except old people wakes up in time on Sun. to get to a morning mass. Afternoons are filled with football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
9,276 posts, read 5,489,845 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
You do know that Jesus destroys the earth and it's inhabitants, right?

You do know that Christ is the Judge, right?

So when Jesus starts killing again, what will you say about that?
No I don't know about Jesus destroying the earth and its inhabitants. I know some people hold to that belief. But I've been given a short life span and Jesus DEFINITELY instructed me on how to live and treat other people. That's my concern, He really didn't spend a lot of time telling me to worry about the future.
In fact I think He criticized a group of people who were asking for a "sign" concerning the future. He called them a wicked generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,315 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No I don't know about Jesus destroying the earth and its inhabitants. I know some people hold to that belief. But I've been given a short life span and Jesus DEFINITELY instructed me on how to live and treat other people. That's my concern, He really didn't spend a lot of time telling me to worry about the future.
In fact I think He criticized a group of people who were asking for a "sign" concerning the future. He called them a wicked generation.

Actually Jesus spent quite a bit of time preparing us for the last days. Jesus said, "as in the days of Noah so will be the days of the son of man".
Other than the 144K that are sealed unto God, virtually everyone else dies.

Read Revelation, Jesus revealing the last days and the Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,315 times
Reputation: 31
Matthew 24
The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times
1Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2“Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
3As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
4Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.
9“Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
15“So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’a spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.
22“If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25See, I have told you ahead of time.
26“So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.
29“Immediately after the distress of those days
“ ‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’b

30“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earthc will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.d 31And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
32“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33Even so, when you see all these things, you know that ite is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
The Day and Hour Unknown
36“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,f but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
42“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
45“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top