U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM

400 posts, read 394,088 times

Advertisements

I've led a lot, I mean a lot of Bible studies over the years. Adults, kids, males, females, it doesn't matter and often amazes me how a passage or even a verse from The Bible uniquely speaks to each individual personally. I'm not talking about exegesis of The Bible to determine the author's intent. I'm talking about how, no matter our circumstance or where we're at, The Bible is like a sword, puncturing our veneer, penetrating our hearts, and communicating with our souls, uplifting us, convicting us, changing us. How does God do it? Can we comprehend it? I've almost come to the conclusion The Bible is not inanimate, but that would be perceived as mental illness by the world's standards. Get the straitjackets, my Bible is calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM

7,457 posts, read 8,687,250 times
Excellent description of a little discussed phenomenon. IMO, this is part of God's divine inspiration of His Word, as revealed by the indwelling Holy Spirit. It seems to me that whenever people seek God and consult His Word, they invariably find truths that are incisively relevant to their situation. That is because there are more depths and dimensions to God's Word than can be understood at one time with simple human reasoning. Amazingly, even those who 'blindly' open the Word and randomly 'stab' at a passage -- often discover life-changing answers to their problems.

Perhaps that is PART of what is meant by, "Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened"

Another thing I've noticed is that the answers and truths are ALWAYS consistent with answers and truths throughout God's Word .

Last edited by jghorton; 10-17-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM

13,241 posts, read 5,658,214 times
Yes, the Bible is a magnificent tool for the Spirit.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM

8,703 posts, read 5,663,524 times
The books of the NT were picked because they had the message that was considered the best by the Christian leaders of that era and because they were from the Apostolic Age. IN other words those books spoke quite well to the Christian leaders. For example the Gospels of Luke, John, Mark, and Matthew were simply much more popular than other gospels. So they picked the good stuff for the NT.

I am not concerned with different interpretations of the verses. In the end nothing changes.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM

400 posts, read 394,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Excellent description of a little discussed phenomenon. IMO, this is part of God's divine inspiration of His Word, as revealed by the indwelling Holy Spirit. It seems to me that whenever people seek God and consult His Word, they invariably find truths that are incisively relevant to their situation. That is because there are more depths and dimensions to God's Word than can be understood at one time with simple human reasoning. Amazingly, even those who 'blindly' open the Word and randomly 'stab' at a passage -- often discover life-changing answers to their problems.

Perhaps that is PART of what is meant by, "Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened"

Another thing I've noticed is that the answers and truths are ALWAYS consistent with answers and truths throughout God's Word .
Are you the J.G. Horton? OMG, I just read your bio, and I think you are! I am humbled by you compliment, sir. You made my day. God bless.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM

7,517 posts, read 10,949,962 times
I find it interesting that the written word is applied by the living Word uniquely to us at different times and points of our lives. Same person, but as we are changed His truth seems to follow us.

He's really cool.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM

7,698 posts, read 6,214,179 times
NO, when Jesus spoke or the apostle or prophet wrote, he did not mean to say something different do each different person. Otherwise language would make no sense. The speed limit posted does not mean different things to different drivers, or the laws against murder or rape do not apply different to different people. It doesn't mean that the law against rape makes it OK for some to rape but not others. When Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me, He meant exactly that and nothing else. Don't delude yourselves with these leaps of logic and reason that make absolutely no sense, and so lead yourself astray into unbelief and eternal damnation.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM

8,703 posts, read 5,663,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
When Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me, He meant exactly that and nothing else. Don't delude yourselves with these leaps of logic and reason that make absolutely no sense, and so lead yourself astray into unbelief and eternal damnation.
Hold your horses.

That was written by an Apostle that heard through word of mouth what Jesus might have said.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,983,484 times
Quote:
Does The Bible Speak To Each Individual Differently? How?
Go to a football game and sit in the stands... we all see the same thing, see the same play, but we all see it differently. go figure.

Kinda like how the Bible works. We're all reading the same thing, see the same events, but we all see it differntly.

Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity