U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM
 
111 posts, read 162,796 times
Reputation: 71

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
When I first started to question Christianity I believed that the followers of Jesus when he was alive had a much better idea of what religion is supposed to be than the interpretation of the Bible by either myself or my religious leaders.

I then considered joining Islam, but that, too, felt incorrect.

Then I realized that I'm an inferior soul that has no idea of the truth and will probably end up in hell, or worse. After that I thought about Buddhism and how similar outlooks at the spiritual realm would be really nice and at times make sense, but I still couldn't have 100% faith in them.


...This realization made me think that the actual reality of the spiritual truth is much darker and that the solution to that reality is probably just as dark.

...But that conclusion is just as incomplete as the rest without *ANY* knowledge of the spiritual realm.


Coming to terms that I am an inferior soul has been very difficult for me, but not all souls are made perfect, I guess.


That said, how did Jesus preach his religion? Sometimes, I think the answer to that question would remove certain doubts, but, alas, I have neither the luxury of having faith, being alive at the same time as a prophet, nor having access to sacred documents of the archives of a church.
There aren't any inferior souls - but especially not you. God didn't make any. Jesus taught us to love one another. I think the feeling that God damns people or sends them to hell just isn't true. I think there are some people who choose to not be with God and Jesus because they feel they aren't good enough. And I think that once they forgive themselves, God and Jesus will love to be with them. Talk with God and Jesus - like you'd talk to a good friend - because they are your friends. They best friends anyone could ever hope for. They are kind and gentle. I think in the final scheme of things - not much will matter except how we treat each other. I don't think Jesus came down to lay down laws for us to follow. He came down to teach us how to love one another.

People are funny - we seem to think that we can scare people with thoughts of hell and damnation into being good. But all it does is burden them with guilt - destroying them even more. What changes a person is love. It makes them WANT to change. And that's when change happens.

The human being is not very good at keeping things inside of themselves. If we feel hatred towards ourselves, that hatred spills out. But, the flip is also true - if we feel loved, that love will spill out as well. One of my favorite speakers is a guy named Dieter Uchtdorf in the mormon church. He said once, "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself. Humility is thinking less about yourself."

Remember, you are as good as every other person in the world. And that's really saying something positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,278 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
There aren't any inferior souls - but especially not you. God didn't make any. Jesus taught us to love one another. I think the feeling that God damns people or sends them to hell just isn't true. I think there are some people who choose to not be with God and Jesus because they feel they aren't good enough. And I think that once they forgive themselves, God and Jesus will love to be with them. Talk with God and Jesus - like you'd talk to a good friend - because they are your friends. They best friends anyone could ever hope for. They are kind and gentle. I think in the final scheme of things - not much will matter except how we treat each other. I don't think Jesus came down to lay down laws for us to follow. He came down to teach us how to love one another.

People are funny - we seem to think that we can scare people with thoughts of hell and damnation into being good. But all it does is burden them with guilt - destroying them even more. What changes a person is love. It makes them WANT to change. And that's when change happens.

The human being is not very good at keeping things inside of themselves. If we feel hatred towards ourselves, that hatred spills out. But, the flip is also true - if we feel loved, that love will spill out as well. One of my favorite speakers is a guy named Dieter Uchtdorf in the mormon church. He said once, "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself. Humility is thinking less about yourself."

Remember, you are as good as every other person in the world. And that's really saying something positive!

Stop with the feeling nonsense and read-

Genesis 16

7And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur. 8And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai. 9And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands. 10And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
11And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.
12And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.





Ishmael is the father of the muslim, the Arab nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Reputation: 10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Ishmael is the father of the muslim, the Arab nations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying, "Muslims are inferior souls." I certainly hope I'm wrong about how I understood you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
 
183 posts, read 140,278 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying, "Muslims are inferior souls." I certainly hope I'm wrong about how I understood you.

You can take it any way you wish.

They will not inter the Kingdom.

Nor will the gentile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,163,619 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
When I first started to question Christianity I believed that the followers of Jesus when he was alive had a much better idea of what religion is supposed to be than the interpretation of the Bible by either myself or my religious leaders.

I then considered joining Islam, but that, too, felt incorrect.

Then I realized that I'm an inferior soul that has no idea of the truth and will probably end up in hell, or worse. After that I thought about Buddhism and how similar outlooks at the spiritual realm would be really nice and at times make sense, but I still couldn't have 100% faith in them.


...This realization made me think that the actual reality of the spiritual truth is much darker and that the solution to that reality is probably just as dark.

...But that conclusion is just as incomplete as the rest without *ANY* knowledge of the spiritual realm.


Coming to terms that I am an inferior soul has been very difficult for me, but not all souls are made perfect, I guess.


That said, how did Jesus preach his religion? Sometimes, I think the answer to that question would remove certain doubts, but, alas, I have neither the luxury of having faith, being alive at the same time as a prophet, nor having access to sacred documents of the archives of a church.
Jesus approached it based on the person which is why his words are like a double edged sword .... they cut both ways.

One message was those who are\remain
  • unrepentant of their sin
  • despise him as God and Savior and the scriptures
  • attempted salvation by mixing their works \ obedience to the law that
they would go to hell as the condemned person that they were.

The other message was those who
  • repented of their sin
  • acknowledge him as the True God and Messiah
  • not look to their works\obedience to the law as ingredients necessary for salvation (faith alone)
  • produce fruits in keep with faith
  • and remained faithful to the end
they would be with him in heaven as God promised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,162,842 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Like I said, I don't trust myself, nor other men to have the correct interpretation of what the Bible is supposed to be.

What I do wish to have is a more complete account of what Jesus taught to his followers in his life time. Unfortunately I do not have access to such accounts.
"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Acts 10

Hurricane, Jesus taught by doing good: he brought healing to those who were oppressed by the devil or diabolos, which means "false accuser". There are a great many false accusers that want to keep people under condemnation, separated from the love of God. I'm learning not to listen to them anymore. I hope you are, too.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: New England
32,221 posts, read 21,091,303 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Acts 10

Hurricane, Jesus taught by doing good: he brought healing to those who were oppressed by the devil or diabolos, which means "false accuser". There are a great many false accusers that want to keep people under condemnation, separated from the love of God. I'm learning not to listen to them anymore. I hope you are, too.


So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Reputation: 10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
You can take it any way you wish.
I'd actually prefer to take it the way you actually meant it than "any way I wish."

Quote:
They will not inter the Kingdom.

Nor will the gentile.
I noticed you did not answer the question directly. Are they or are they not "inferior souls." And what makes you think you have the right to be the judge of who will enter the Kingdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,278 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd actually prefer to take it the way you actually meant it than "any way I wish."

I noticed you did not answer the question directly. Are they or are they not "inferior souls." And what makes you think you have the right to be the judge of who will enter the Kingdom?

Revelation 11
The Two Witnesses
1I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, “Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers. 2But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months. 3And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.”a 5If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die. 6They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want.



The gentile were never permitted in the Temple, they were to remain outside, the court yard. They are not to be measured as they are not to inter the Kingdom.


Note, the gentile is already trampling Jerusalem under foot- more can be said about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
2,360 posts, read 4,300,636 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
You can take it any way you wish.

They will not inter the Kingdom.

Nor will the gentile.
More judgement, that job is accounted for, and it ain't yours. I'm guessing your a re-tread... spreading more poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top